Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chanting at corners

Once upon a time, in a land far far away, if Charlton won a corner it would be the cue for a few loud and repeated choruses of ‘come on you reds’. For any number of reasons, not least of which could be the now traditional lethargic stroll by the Charlton players to give the defending team plenty of time to set up their defensive positions so they don’t concede, the chant from the Covered End and Upper North, after the two rounds of clapping, tends to be (sometimes) followed by a quick and almost embarrassed one time chant which finishes long before the kick is taken. In the spirit of last week’s inspired ‘revival’ perhaps a little more urgency to take the corner from the players and a revival of come on you reds when the kick is about to be taken might be more effective....or not as the case may be

Comments

• I still do it every game. I agree it's not happening at every corner, but I wouldn't say it's dying out.
  • Uboat said:

That 'Cooooommmeee ooooonnn yoooouuuu reeeeeeds' is one of my earliest memories of going to games. 'Reds' somehow had two syllables. My dad would occasionally chant it at home, for no particular reason. Didn't realise it was dying out.

Ha ha, my dad did the same, and the odd Leeeaaabuuurrrnnn as well, again, for no reason!

• Once upon a time, in a land far far away, if Charlton won a corner it would be the cue for a few loud and repeated choruses of ‘come on you reds’. For any number of reasons, not least of which could be the now traditional lethargic stroll by the Charlton players to give the defending team plenty of time to set up their defensive positions so they don’t concede, the chant from the Covered End and Upper North, after the two rounds of clapping, tends to be (sometimes) followed by a quick and almost embarrassed one time chant which finishes long before the kick is taken. In the spirit of last week’s inspired ‘revival’ perhaps a little more urgency to take the corner from the players and a revival of come on you reds when the kick is about to be taken might be more effective....or not as the case may be

1- We are shit at corners so no enthusiasm
    2- Five Thousand in the ground with about 300 people singing doesn't really wet the whistle
    3- when we had 20000 in the ground youd have at least 5000 people wanting to sing and the rest just joined in.

It will return with the atmosphere sooner or later
  • The complete lack of expectation that the corner will come to anything probably accounts for the reduced chanting...

Statistically corners lead to few goals anyway (unless you're West Brom perhaps)
  • SE7toSG3 said:

I would love to return to the 'come on you reds' but have, for a few years now, evolved my own traditional rallying cry of 'beat the f€$^&ing first man!'

Can I just say that this is true for probably ever club on the planet :)
  • Oggy Red said:

Back in the 60s & 70s, the chant was invariably:

"Oh, it's a corner! Oh, it's a corner! ..... In the NET! .... In the NET!"

We'd often score from a corner. Of course in those days, the corner kick always cleared the 1st defender, flicked on at the near post over the keeper - and with defenders wrong-footed, there was the late run to the far post, as the ball was met full on and thundered into the net :smile:

And in the Covered End always followed by, "Knees up Mother Brown" as we all linked up in a massive knees up.

#dreamingofthegoodolddaysinmyrockingchair

Get it right Oggy Oggy Oggy, it was ooh it's a corner not oh :wink:

• The crying shame about our corners not beating the first man is the fact that Bauer is one of the best players i have seen in a Charlton shirt at attacking them too
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnBoyUK said:

SE7toSG3 said:

I would love to return to the 'come on you reds' but have, for a few years now, evolved my own traditional rallying cry of 'beat the f€$^&ing first man!'

Can I just say that this is true for probably ever club on the planet :)
    I find it unbelievable that professional players fail to do this so regularly. I used to take corners at a local amateur level quite regularly and don't remember it being a problem getting it in the danger area more often than not.

Charlton's efforts are particularly useless this season and the lack of expectation I'm adds to the lack of chanting.
    Personally I would like to see aribo take them as his delivery is the best.
  • I agree on making more noise at corners but lets face it, its a bit of a dirge at best and about as threatening as our corners
  • I guess if we were better at corners there’d be a bit more belief of a good outcome, diminishing returns, another symptom of Emperor Roland.
  • Premier league players regularly fail to beat the first man, what hope 3rd division players? My local club (about the same level as Greenwich Borough) don't seem to have the same problem...
  • "we never score from corners"
  • Meat pies, sausage rolls, come on Charlton score a goal...ooooh...we’ve got a corner.

Play up Charlton.

Ah those were the days!
  • I am usually the lone voice in the West Upper! But love 'Come on You Reds' as a chant at corners. More please.
  • Me and my mate still do it at every corner. Over the years, we've managed to "educate" a few who sit around us. However, over the last few years, we are often surrounded by fans who just turn up for the occasional game, who have no idea what we're doing...
  • Always looked threatening when we had Matt Tees, and before him Ron Saunders. The Covered End used to suck the ball into the net.
  • Sponsored links:

• Always looked threatening when we had Matt Tees, and before him Ron Saunders. The Covered End used to suck the ball into the net.

Without wishing to send the thread I started off track, it was probably less the case that the ball was sucked into the net by the Covered End and had more to do with the fact that Matt Tees knew how to head a ball. Was noisier in those days, in fact there was probably more atmosphere half an hour before kick off then that there is during one of today’s games
  • These days Teesy would have been blocked off by a defender. The man had a fantastic leap in him and you always felt a goal was coming from the corner.
  • I have been know to type 'C'mon you Reds' on the match thread after we get a corner, but my iFollow feed is usually way behind so I think it loses a bit of context.
  • edited March 2018
    About 80% of our chants these days are just copies of what other clubs are doing, with continental style chanting thrown in (can't stand the Since I Was Young chant or the Allez allez allez ooooo shite).
  • cafctom said:

About 80% of our chants these days are just copies of what other clubs are doing, with continental style chanting thrown in (can't stand the Since I Was Young chant or the Allez allez allez ooooo shite).

Same with every club though, its always the shame chants just rehashed, only ones that arent are Valley Floyd Road and Goodbye Horse
  • cafctom said:

Same with every club though, its always the shame chants just rehashed, only ones that arent are Valley Floyd Road and Goodbye Horse
    The mist rolling in from the Trent
  • cafctom said:

And even then our fans still manage to struggle.
    VFR is sung so fast that I can't be assed to join in most of the time.
  • Ah I missed these threads where we could instead have a moan about the fans chanting too fast/slow/backwards or not making up anything original.

Is this what it feels like to be rid of Roland?
  • Ah I missed these threads where we could instead have a moan about the fans chanting too fast/slow/backwards or not making up anything original.

Is this what it feels like to be rid of Roland?

Wouldn't know. He hasn't gone yet....

Saunders is the King saunders is the Kind ee eye adio Saunders is the king :smiley:

Actually Sir Matt Tees was the King certainly for floating in the air :smile: