Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Northampton v Charlton | Good Friday | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• JamesSeed said:

Stick with the same team, bar Konsa in for Reeves. Really ought to be another convincing win. 3-0 Charlton.

Play Konsa RB and Dijksteel CM?
    I do not think Dijksteel is a better attacking midfielder than Reeves and feel this change would unbalance the side. I have not got an issue with Reeves if he plays as well as he did on Saturday AND we play the diamond again. Playing in a more natural position helped him of course.

If Bow were to decide on a flat 4-4-2 there would be a good argument to replace Reeves with Marshall as you would need a more natural winger, and if you wanted Konsa in then it would be at the expense of Aribo and this is what I would do.

I can’t see Northampton going all out for the points so would think they will go more for a 4-5-1. It would be brave for Bow to go for a 3-5-2 to match the midfield, but will he select a team that has the flexibility to play both as a 3 or a 4?All very interesting. In Bow we trust!
  • Have to them win them all now. Going to this after all.
  • Redrobo said:

JamesSeed said:

Stick with the same team, bar Konsa in for Reeves. Really ought to be another convincing win. 3-0 Charlton.

Play Konsa RB and Dijksteel CM?
    I do not think Dijksteel is a better attacking midfielder than Reeves and feel this change would unbalance the side. I have not got an issue with Reeves if he plays as well as he did on Saturday AND we play the diamond again. Playing in a more natural position helped him of course.

If Bow were to decide on a flat 4-4-2 there would be a good argument to replace Reeves with Marshall as you would need a more natural winger, and if you wanted Konsa in then it would be at the expense of Aribo and this is what I would do.

I can’t see Northampton going all out for the points so would think they will go more for a 4-5-1. It would be brave for Bow to go for a 3-5-2 to match the midfield, but will he select a team that has the flexibility to play both as a 3 or a 4?All very interesting. In Bow we trust!
    I’d be too scared to change a winning team. This is where the manager earns his money.
  • Sage said:

2) Our away form isn’t fantastic by any means. So let’s hope it picks up as we need it for the run in with 6 away games left.

Prior to the last game our form everywhere was awful and had been for a few months.

Lord Bowyer and his faithful man-servant Jackson have been a refreshing change at the helm. All this talk of formations other than 4-2-3-1 wouldn't have haooened under the previous incumbent - I mean, variations on 4-4-2? Who'd have thought of that?

The players seemed full of life last week and looked like they were fully behind the boss. Zyro and Ajose were a revelation as a pairing and I expect that to continue against Northampton.

Addicks to win 3-0, one each from the front two, the other to come from midfield. The play-off dreams stays alive ...
  • Realistically we need 6 wins out of the remaining 9, and probably at least 2 point from the other 3 to get in the play offs.
    That's a big ask , so I would think that tomorrow along with Wimbledon and Rochdale are must wins games unless we want to make an already tough task even harder.
    I think we will get 3 points I am going 2-0.

• Can see it being the same team, although we need to make sure we're fresh for what is a big game on Monday against promotion rivals so definitely need to be more proactive with our subs. I can see a draw if i'm honest. Predicting 1-1 but if we put in a similar performance to Saturday we'll skin them imo.

If he subs out Amos, Page, Dijksteel, Pearce, Bauer, Aribo, Ajose, Zyro, or JFC after their performance last week then he's mad.
  • I hope I am wrong but 1-1.
  • I hope I am wrong but 1-1.

You hope you’re wrong? Every Addick, on this forum or not, hopes you’re wrong! In the right way, of course.
  • has anyone got like 3/4 spare tickets going for tomorrow?
  • Sponsored links:

• Too many people getting too carried away here. If we get a 1-0 I'll be very happy.
  • mom gets dropped???
  • Realistically we need 6 wins out of the remaining 9, and probably at least 2 point from the other 3 to get in the play offs.
    That's a big ask , so I would think that tomorrow along with Wimbledon and Rochdale are must wins games unless we want to make an already tough task even harder.

wont need 75 points - somewhere between 70 - 73 will do.
  • edited March 2018

Realistically we need 6 wins out of the remaining 9, and probably at least 2 point from the other 3 to get in the play offs.

wont need 75 points - somewhere between 70 - 73 will do.
    I agree - when you look at previous years 70 (a point or two either way) looks to be the number. It will be a challenge to get there and 6 points over the holiday period is going to be crucial.
  • A real must win game but that also applies to Northampton. I think we are all a little carried away so I think it will be disappointing 1-1 and not good enough.
  • They will be up for it so it is going to come down how we deal with that!
  • From the treatment room: Mavididi back but Ben Reeves a doubt for Northampton clash

Stephy Mavididi has continued to step up his return to full training this week, following his hamstring strain, and is in the squad to face Northampton on Friday.

Jay Dasilva returned to training this week after his ankle syndesmosis sprain. Friday’s game comes too soon and he will work on extra fitness sessions over the Easter weekend and should be in contention to be involved in the squad for our home game against Rotherham on Easter Monday.

Ben Reeves is a major doubt for Northampton after taking a heavy knock to the ankle in the game against Plymouth, resulting in significant swelling. However, he has responded remarkably well to intensive treatment and was able to train fully with the squad on Thursday and is in contention for Friday’s game.

Ahmed Kashi has stepped up his outside ball work session this week following his plantar fascia tear in February. All being well, we will look to reintegrate him back into training from next week.

Chris Solly’s right knee continues to settle and he has felt more confident on it this week, with the rehabilitation and strength sessions in the gym. However, it is still too early to place a date on his return to training at this stage due to the complex nature of the injury.

Billy Clarke continues to work hard on his strength exercises for the knee as he nears the 12-week mark following his ACL reconstruction. All being well, he will pass the required test markers in the next week to enable him to progress onto the next phase of his rehabilitation programme.

Supporters not attending Friday's match can listen to live commentary of the game on Valley Pass.

• Sponsored links:

• 0-2 going into the last 10, concede a late goal for a nervy finish.
  • edited March 2018
    Charlton have had more false dawns than an open mike night at the Vauxhall Tavern.
    2-1 to Northampton.
  • The Chinese firm which bought a 60% share in League One side Northampton Town has been forced to sell back its stake due to 'investment restrictions'.

Guangzhou-based 5USport took a majority shareholding in June 2017, but chairman Kelvin Thomas and director David Bower have bought back their shareholding.

Directors Tom Auyeung and Oliver Zheng have stepped down from the board.

The Cobblers currently occupy the final relegation place in League One by virtue of goal difference.

A club statement read: "Progress has been made in certain areas in particular the educational offering in China.

"However, other discussions mainly focused on the UK investment required by the club have been more problematic and the necessary funding has proved challenging due to what has been explained as overseas investment restrictions."

'The club is financially secure'
    At the time of 5USport's share acquisition Thomas said they were coming in as 'partners' rather than it being a 'takeover'.

And he was quick to reassure Town fans about the club's future in light of previous financial issues:

"We can confirm that the club is financially secure, and this will continue under our ownership as we have always said.

"We have provided funding this season at various points to ensure obligations are met and also to continue to invest in the future with player acquisitions this past January.

"We are still of the mindset that for the club to fully prosper on the pitch especially at higher levels of play, it will need a long term and more sustainable model and inevitably further outside investment, but those discussions are for another day."

• edited March 2018
    ross1 said:

The Chinese firm which bought a 60% share in League One side Northampton Town has been forced to sell back its stake due to 'investment restrictions'.

Guangzhou-based 5USport took a majority shareholding in June 2017, but chairman Kelvin Thomas and director David Bower have bought back their shareholding.

Directors Tom Auyeung and Oliver Zheng have stepped down from the board.

The Cobblers currently occupy the final relegation place in League One by virtue of goal difference.

A club statement read: "Progress has been made in certain areas in particular the educational offering in China.

"However, other discussions mainly focused on the UK investment required by the club have been more problematic and the necessary funding has proved challenging due to what has been explained as overseas investment restrictions.".

'The club is financially secure'
    At the time of 5USport's share acquisition Thomas said they were coming in as 'partners' rather than it being a 'takeover'.

And he was quick to reassure Town fans about the club's future in light of previous financial issues:

"We can confirm that the club is financially secure, and this will continue under our ownership as we have always said.

"We have provided funding this season at various points to ensure obligations are met and also to continue to invest in the future with player acquisitions this past January.

"We are still of the mindset that for the club to fully prosper on the pitch especially at higher levels of play, it will need a long term and more sustainable model and inevitably further outside investment, but those discussions are for another day."

The highlighted section sounds all too familiar from my experiences in China. For foreigners entering into partnerships this is quite common.

I once saw a major international hotel chain enter into a partnership with a failing local hotel with strong party connections. The foreign chain swept in and put management structure in place, paid for decoration, came up with new business and promotional ideas, made the restaurant a destination in itself and basically made the place the best hotel in town.

Then... the local partners said that they couldn’t get a fire certificate. This was despite them being VERY well connected in a place where that counts for a lot. The major international chain said that they couldn’t operate illegally. To which the local partners shrugged their shoulders and said.... yep... well... sorry about that... see ya! The westerners left... and a good legacy was left behind (for the locals to mismanage and mess right up).

Northampton sound like they have boosted an educational/English teaching business in a hot industry in china and not quite got what they were promised in exchange.

• MK Dons winning tonight puts some added pressure on the Cobblers!
  • MK Dons winning tonight puts some added pressure on the Cobblers!

I agree. Tomorrow is a must win game for Northampton, but I do wonder if Hasselbaink will settle for a point. Hopefully Northampton go for it and play an open style, which we can take advantage of, with Bowyer's aggressive and relentless style of football. If Northampton go for it, 3-0 to us, if they don't, 0-0.
  • The irresistible aroma of vegemite blows over the Cobblers as Charlton's new era, part 87b, unfolds.

• edited March 2018
    Positivity has come back as far as results are concerned for me......0-2 Addicks win