Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New car colours

Why is it if you want to buy a new car and you want any colour other than white you have to pay extra ? A white car still has to be painted. White paint still has to be manufactured/mixed and as ‘white’seems to vary in shade from one car company to another it can’t be because it’s a standard colour.

Comments

• Car colours in general are much blander than they used to be.
  • Henry Ford had an opinion on this
  • And as I’ve started on about new cars, it struck me that i live in an affluent area and I work in the city and I’ve only seen a handful of ‘18’ plate cars so far and three of them were on a forecourt- has the new car market totally collapsed ?
  • Spraying a car is sooooo last year. I just got mine wrapped - so much more opportunity to express ones self

• And I’ve just read a report (not sure if it’s reliable) that says 474,069 new cars were registered in March when the 18 plate came in. If that figure is true then I guess there must be a lot of pre-registered vehicles stuck in a field somewhere waiting to be sold as used cars
  • Why is it if you want to buy a new car and you want any colour other than white you have to pay extra ? A white car still has to be painted. White paint still has to be manufactured/mixed and as ‘white’seems to vary in shade from one car company to another it can’t be because it’s a standard colour.

Not just cars. Had a new front door made and fitted last year. £1100 in white, £1300 in any other colour. I don't get it, and the bloke from the door company couldn't explain it.
  • MrLargo said:

Why is it if you want to buy a new car and you want any colour other than white you have to pay extra ? A white car still has to be painted. White paint still has to be manufactured/mixed and as ‘white’seems to vary in shade from one car company to another it can’t be because it’s a standard colour.

Not just cars. Had a new front door made and fitted last year. £1100 in white, £1300 in any other colour. I don't get it, and the bloke from the door company couldn't explain it.
    Maybe white is the undercoat for the other colours and so a white car is simply an unfinished car.
  • Sponsored links:

• And as I’ve started on about new cars, it struck me that i live in an affluent area and I work in the city and I’ve only seen a handful of ‘18’ plate cars so far and three of them were on a forecourt- has the new car market totally collapsed ?

18 plates only hit the road in March, give it a chance!

For example 18 plates run from 1st March 18 to 31st August 18.
    they then switch to the 78 format from September.

Which is a shame as I'd hoped to get an 88 plate for my 30th... Have to wait til my 40th now...
  • It's true there are very few "solid" colours to choose from these days.

Just had a look at the configurator for the Range Rover Sport. The basic choice is black or white in "solid" at no extra charge. There are then seven metallics at £850 extra; one "premium" metallic at £1,695 extra, 15 "ultra" metallics at £3,570 extra and five "specials" at £6,120. I reckon about half of those colours are either black, white or grey in various shades. They then want to charge you an extra £615 for a black glass roof but don't deduct anything for not having to paint this bit of the car!

But I know some car paint is expensive and some of these are chromaflair which I seem to recall is about £250 a litre (and you'd probably need close to 20 litres I guess for a Rangie), then there's the base coat and the clear coat stuff, so maybe it's about right but presumably Land Rover get a bulk buy discount!

When I had TVRs you could choose any colour you liked. I've had a BMW colour, a Ferrari colour and one of TVR's own paints on my old cars. They used to charge what it cost and even back then chromaflair was an extra £1750 on a small car. (Mind you, there was a dog called Ned in charge of accounts so anything could have been happening. They'd had to move him from styling when he bit a chunk out of a clay model. Although his efforts made it to the final design and can be seen in the scoops above the front splitter on a Chimaera.)
  • Dazzler21 said:

And as I’ve started on about new cars, it struck me that i live in an affluent area and I work in the city and I’ve only seen a handful of ‘18’ plate cars so far and three of them were on a forecourt- has the new car market totally collapsed ?

Which is a shame as I'd hoped to get an 88 plate for my 30th... Have to wait til my 40th now...
    it'll be 68 in September, not 78
  • edited April 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

And as I’ve started on about new cars, it struck me that i live in an affluent area and I work in the city and I’ve only seen a handful of ‘18’ plate cars so far and three of them were on a forecourt- has the new car market totally collapsed ?

But half a million have been registered...so why aren’t we seeing them on the roads ? Usually you start noticing new plates everywhere, certainly where I live and work, yet as I’ve posted I’ve only spotted a handful (and 3 were on a forecourt) despite making the effort to look when I’m strolling around
  • What are people moaning at, in my day it was any colour as long as its black... bah humbug.
  • rina said:

Dazzler21 said:

it'll be 68 in September, not 78
    Good point I'll have to wait til my 50th then :disappointed:
  • Dazzler21 said:

But half a million have been registered...so why aren’t we seeing them on the roads ? Usually you start noticing new plates everywhere, certainly where I live and work, yet as I’ve posted I’ve only spotted a handful (and 3 were on a forecourt) despite making the effort to look when I’m strolling around
    It's that weird old thing when you look for something, for some reason you fail to see it. Then when you're not trying suddenly it's everywhere.
  • Dazzler21 said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5609939/Number-vehicles-registered-UK-falls-time-six-years.html
  • Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

It's that weird old thing when you look for something, for some reason you fail to see it. Then when you're not trying suddenly it's everywhere.
    I’ll probably see around 50 of them now on the way to work...