Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Last week’s route one goal

Amos to Josh to Ajose to back of the net...should we be seeing a few more of those ? Talking to some Pompey fans and getting past you were the best fans this season bit there was one comment about how good our players were but that we didn’t seem to have anything in the final third...couldn’t argue with that. However, we know Amos can kick a ball, we know Josh can head a ball (it’s just what usually happens with it after that) and we know Ajose is generally starved of opportunities but last week showed what he can do if given one. We don’t want to do it too often so that it becomes predictable and easy to defend but every now and again in a match could catch the opposition defence out and has to be worth trying.

Comments

• shirty5 said:

Would never happened under Robinson. The joys of playing 2 up gives us more options and more chances to score. Simple game complicated by idiots

It's often the case that it's over analysed by idiots. Stick the players on the pitch, and let them get on with it. And hope they have a bit of luck on their side.
  • Amos to Josh to Ajose to back of the net...should we be seeing a few more of those ? Talking to some Pompey fans and getting past you were the best fans this season bit there was one comment about how good our players were but that we didn’t seem to have anything in the final third...couldn’t argue with that. However, we know Amos can kick a ball, we know Josh can head a ball (it’s just what usually happens with it after that) and we know Ajose is generally starved of opportunities but last week showed what he can do if given one. We don’t want to do it too often so that it becomes predictable and easy to defend but every now and again in a match could catch the opposition defence out and has to be worth trying.

Last Saturday we definitely played in a more direct style, I'm sure that was planned by the coaching staff, rather than just the players on the day. Amos kicked long more often than in any other game I can think of

The important thing is to mix things up and not become predictable. If the opponents know how you're going to play, they can prepared tactics to counter it.
  • I was surprised by Josh’s successful heading, perhaps having Ajose there gives him an incentive rather than heading to no one
  • Mix it up and it makes it harder to defend against. Not rocket science this bit
  • Mag knows where to head the ball, simple flick and theres a good chance Ajose will be chasing.
  • bbob said:

Josh often doesn’t head the ball - half hearted jumps too early. Zyro is a better header of the ball IMHO.

Yes, but he doesn't like the physical side - if you are going to play him up front he needs to drop a little deeper and try and lose the centre back. Much better on the floor, if a little slow - but never afraid to have a dig and a good passer of the ball.

• The finish from Ajose was tougher than it may have first seemed.
    He doesn't once look at the goalkeeper or the defenders who are bearing down on him. He keeps his composure and is fully aware that he needs to get the shot off quickly to score. Instinctive.
  • bbob said:

Josh often doesn’t head the ball - half hearted jumps too early. Zyro is a better header of the ball IMHO.

Won virtually every header last saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• bbob said:

but didn't win much today, esp in the first half when he got outjumped by the defender 90% of the time. A bit better second half & improved with about 20 mins to go & got a few knock downs/flick-ons to both Ajose & Mavvy. All in all not very good for a big , srong attacker. Alan Shearer was a few inches shortrr & a lot less "burly" but won a hell of a lot more headers. In fact I don't think I've seen a less effective "target man"
  • bbob said:

but didn't win much today, esp in the first half when he got outjumped by the defender 90% of the time. A bit better second half & improved with about 20 mins to go & got a few knock downs/flick-ons to both Ajose & Mavvy. All in all not very good for a big , srong attacker. Alan Shearer was a few inches shortrr & a lot less "burly" but won a hell of a lot more headers. In fact I don't think I've seen a less effective "target man"
    See I completely disagree, I counted at least 9/10 headers which he won and Ajose was nowhere to be see, that’s no disrespect to Nicky but today I thought he was below par!
  • cafc_se7 said:

bbob said:

See I completely disagree, I counted at least 9/10 headers which he won and Ajose was nowhere to be see, that’s no disrespect to Nicky but today I thought he was below par!
    OR you could say he won quite a few yesterday but was far too 50p headed.

No real control on direction today.

Doesn't matter today = 3 points.
  • Yesterday Amos was kicking the ball much more than he did against Scunthorpe and he only put one into touch, which is pretty good by his standards. Mixing it is surely a tactic they've decided upon.
  • bbob said:

You’ve already forgotten the likes of Abbott, Sodje, Nouble and Kandol then? Magennis has been a 10 goal a season striker for two years now which is far more than plenty of other strikers have done for us.
  • bbob said:

Dazzler21 said:

cafc_se7 said:

bbob said:

OR you could say he won quite a few yesterday but was far too 50p headed.

No real control on direction today.

Doesn't matter today = 3 points.
    Jesus Christ, amazing how differently we see a game.

His headers were mostly pinpoint yesterday, especially in 2nd half when needing to kill the gam in last 10 mins.

He was excellent yesterday and won 90% of everything he went for.

IMO
  • Amos to Josh to Ajose to back of the net...should we be seeing a few more of those ? Talking to some Pompey fans and getting past you were the best fans this season bit there was one comment about how good our players were but that we didn’t seem to have anything in the final third...couldn’t argue with that. However, we know Amos can kick a ball, we know Josh can head a ball (it’s just what usually happens with it after that) and we know Ajose is generally starved of opportunities but last week showed what he can do if given one. We don’t want to do it too often so that it becomes predictable and easy to defend but every now and again in a match could catch the opposition defence out and has to be worth trying.

Two route one goals last weekend but there’s a tweet out that we’ve got 16 goals from set pieces as well (if you include 6 penalties). Sounds like a nice balance going on, but 8 from corners ??? How did that happen. That sounds pretty impressive to me given that in recent years we’ve struggled to get the ball past the first defender. Time to ramp up the noise at corners even more
  • It is easier to defend against predictability. If a team only plays long balls you can counter it more easily, and if they don't ever you can counter that more easily.