Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fortnite

Never heard of it, but youngest 'pro' is 13 years old from Sidcup.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43939836

Comments

• *Fortnight
  • Good for him, you can set yourself up for life now days if you are good at games or can entertain people while playing them
  • We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight from our bedrooms and living rooms.
  • Must be Charlton
  • The fucking bane of my life. My 9 year old is obsessed to the point that I am having to ration the iPad. Literally he would sit on it all day if I wasn’t there.

All the kids are addicted.
  • Can't get my head around the fact that there are professional gamers. Its a real WTF thing for me. No offence to the lad and wish him well but, really?!?!? Sometimes I feel like the modern world is passing me by completely.
  • Must be Charlton

Probably spends his life sitting in front of his computer rather than being interested in live sport or the world outside the four walls of his bedroom.
  • Installed it yesterday out of interest.

Fun game, can see why it’s so popular. Contains elements of FPS with survival and building like minecraft.

Was a fun hour or so playing and would deffo love to play it if my mates were on it too.
  • It's massive, over 200 thousand people watching other people play it at any given time.

The top players regularly get over 150k viewers watching. Crazy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Must be Charlton

Palace ultra more like
  • Pubg for life
  • The fucking bane of my life. My 9 year old is obsessed to the point that I am having to ration the iPad. Literally he would sit on it all day if I wasn’t there.

Yep, we downloaded it on the PlayStation last weekend and my son would be on it every waking hour with his mates if he was allowed. New rationing has had to be enforced .

Yep, we downloaded it on the PlayStation last weekend and my son would be on it every waking hour with his mates if he was allowed. New rationing has had to be enforced .

Yep, there seems to be a mass addiction for younger kids, can see the appeal that "cartoon violence" sort of thing. Currently sat watching my 8 year old nephew smash it out, it's the first and last thing asked for.

FortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortniteFortnite.
  • edited April 2018
    Strangely I’ve only ever used my Xbox for sports games but my new guilty pleasure is Fortnite. As a nearly 30 year old I was shocked that nearly all of my similarly aged friends also play it.

Crazy that a game that is free to download made £200m last month alone from extras that you can purchase within the game.

Equally mind blowing is that the most high profile fortnite player - Ninja - is making over £1m a month from twitch (owned by Amazon) subscribers and made $75k from viewer donations in one day last week.
  • Strangely I’ve only ever used my Xbox for sports games but my new guilty pleasure is Fortnite. As a nearly 30 year old I was shocked that nearly all of my similarly aged friends also play it.

Crazy that a game that is free to download made £200m last month alone from extras that you can purchase within the game.

Equally mind blowing is that the most high profile fortnite player - Ninja - is making over £1m a month from twitch (owned by Amazon) subscribers and made $75k from viewer donations in one day last week.

As a 30 year old playing it you are probably better placed than my 9 year old to give an honest answer on this.

Is this a suitable game for a child of that age to be playing. I’m not exactly making him live a life like a month but likewise I am not sure he is old enough to be playing a call of duty style game
  • There is a time and a place for gaming. It is when it becomes obsessive and the soft option for not just them but also parents who don't have to then take their child to the park or invest time doing other things with them.
  • Strangely I’ve only ever used my Xbox for sports games but my new guilty pleasure is Fortnite. As a nearly 30 year old I was shocked that nearly all of my similarly aged friends also play it.

As a 30 year old playing it you are probably better placed than my 9 year old to give an honest answer on this.

Is this a suitable game for a child of that age to be playing. I’m not exactly making him live a life like a month but likewise I am not sure he is old enough to be playing a call of duty style game
    My 9 year old daughter plays, its very 'cartoony' in its graphics you see no blood or gore and when you hit a player a number comes up from their body to denote damage personally I see it as more like Lego star wars than call of duty

My 9 year old daughter plays, its very 'cartoony' in its graphics you see no blood or gore and when you hit a player a number comes up from their body to denote damage personally I see it as more like Lego star wars than call of duty
    Yeah it’s very cartoony in style which makes it feel a lot more fun too.
  • Sponsored links:

It's a difficult one as all children have different levels of maturity so I'll give you this information so that you or any other parent reading this can decide or put appropriate measures in place:

The content of the game itself isn't obviously violent which is why it's popular across all genders and ages. However, the game allows you to be paired with complete strangers in one click without any proper safeguarding measures. (there is a report function but it can take 48 hours for a reply if you get one at all). There is no way of disabling this feature.

To give some context there's three game modes within the game:

Solo: You can't interact with other players.

Duo's: You can play with a friend or choose to be paired with any stranger online.

Squads: You can play with 3 other friends or choose to be paired with three strangers online.

It is terrifying that an adult with bad intentions could be able to have a 20 minute unchecked conversation with a child. Equally, after the game you are able to add the person as a 'friend' and exchange messages with them.

If I were a parent, I'd have no issue with the game play but would definitely want some control / insight in to what features they're using and who they're potentially talking too.
  • Yeah I have had to have a couple of discussions with my son about being careful who he is talking to on the game. I am very confident if he comes across anything odd he will tell me but it is by far the most worrying aspect of the game.
  • Clash of generation comment coming up here.
    I think too much time spent in front of their computers etc is an appalling thing to be happening to many kids of today.
    Just saying.

A lot of kids now are teaching themselves basic programming skills and other stuff because of their interests in computer games. Which can only be a net good to society and technology.

One of my big hobbies is computer games, always has been. A lot less now I’m an adult but I dip into it and have a binge every now and then.

Helped me a lot in my work and generally being able to think and treat high end software like a computer game (not working? Click another thing and see what that does, oh it does that, oh that does that etc) rather than being intimidated I see it as a bit of fun and a challenge every day.
  • Stig said:

Can't get my head around the fact that there are professional gamers. Its a real WTF thing for me. No offence to the lad and wish him well but, really?!?!? Sometimes I feel like the modern world is passing me by completely.

Have a watch sometime and then see what you think.

I find professional FIFA really weird when the sport already exists in the real world. But something like professional Rocket League is very entertaining.
  • Yeah I have had to have a couple of discussions with my son about being careful who he is talking to on the game. I am very confident if he comes across anything odd he will tell me but it is by far the most worrying aspect of the game.

If my daughter is playing squads with random people I insist she plugs in the headset but doesn't wear it - she is happy and it works fine. If you don't plug in the headset sound of others voices comes out of the TV, I actually find that young children are by far and away the most likely to use utterly vile language and most likely to be abusive
  • What sort of dough can he make now he's turned professional?

If my daughter is playing squads with random people I insist she plugs in the headset but doesn't wear it - she is happy and it works fine. If you don't plug in the headset sound of others voices comes out of the TV, I actually find that young children are by far and away the most likely to use utterly vile language and most likely to be abusive
    Yup all us adults just laugh at kids playing really. I had a prebupescent voice chat me on xbox on gta 5 online. Why the fuck he was playing an 18 I’ll never know.

Yup all us adults just laugh at kids playing really. I had a prebupescent voice chat me on xbox on gta 5 online. Why the fuck he was playing an 18 I’ll never know.
    It's like most things online you just have to be a sensible and responsible parent about these things, my girls know if I ever heard them coming out with any colourful language they would be banned from playing for an inconvenient (to them) amount of time. The ps4 is in the lounge so I can hear it anywhere in the flat
  • A quick heads up for those of you that have kids playing this game

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43988210
  • Kids in my class are obsessed with this. This and the floss...FML