Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shrewsbury v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    ross1 said:

Sullay Kaikai

Verified account

@SullayKaikai
    4h4 hours ago
    More
    Disappointing end to the season yday after working so hard to make the play offs. The fans gave us the platform we needed but we were unable to achieve what everyone wanted. Thank you to all the staff, players and fans during my time at @CAFCofficial I wish the club all the best

Does this just make you think that most of the players tweets have been auto-generated by a generic 'sorry' App.?
  • Options
    uie2 said:

Simonsen said:

The defeat capped off a lovely end to the season for me; I follow CAFC, Hendon and Hamburg)

Hendon lost on pens in the Isthmian play off to Dulwich.
    Hendon were then moved from the Isthmian League to The Southern League (which could have a bad effect on our finances)
    Charlton lost 1-0 twice 4 days.
    HSV won (Yay!) but were relegated for the first time in their history.

Oh well, at least I saw a couple of play-offs.....

Oh why did Hendon get moved to southern league just for losing a play off final! Doesn't sound good!?
    Major league re-shuffle. Hendon, Staines, Met Police and Harrow Borough all got moved to The Southern League.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Just out of interest I wonder how much money Shrewsbury bribed that referee?

Just with the elbow decision and the penalty decision? Probably would not have made a great deal of difference.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I would imagine the ref saw the elbow as dangerous, but not a clear intent to injure and possibly that the handball was ball to hand, even though the footage suggested otherwise. His angle may not have been the best but he does have assitants. I'm sure the decisions were made honestly - but it is a reason why I favour the use of technology. I think the penalty would have been given with that! Mind you - chances are we would have missed it!
  • Options

Just out of interest I wonder how much money Shrewsbury bribed that referee?

Just with the elbow decision and the penalty decision? Probably would not have made a great deal of difference.

Just the goal we could have scored and the one Morris couldn't.
  • Options

I would imagine the ref saw the elbow as dangerous, but not a clear intent to injure and possibly that the handball was ball to hand, even though the footage suggested otherwise. His angle may not have been the best but he does have assitants. I'm sure the decisions were made honestly - but it is a reason why I favour the use of technology. I think the penalty would have been given with that! Mind you - chances are we would have missed it!

Exactly my feelings Muttley... Technology is there, just needs to be used appropriately. The game shouldn't be about how the outcome of the game wasn't fair or the right result. So much has been made of VAR, mostly negative. You won't get every decision right, but for every one you do, it will result in fairer outcomes. Rugby, Tennis and Cricket all use it and all adds to the excitement of the game. Would have definitely made for an interesting game if we'd been awarded the pen or the player being sent off.

But maybe the ref was a Charlton fan and he didn't want Roland creaming off our new investors selling a Championship club ?
  • Options

Sadly, we were miles away. We need three touches to control the ball – our opponents take just the one. And not only today – apart from a bright start last August and a steeliness under Bowyer, we have been piss-poor all season. We lack basic technical skills.

Amos has been excellent, and made a fantastic save near the end today. Pearce and Bauer have been tough and solid throughout the run-in – but their clearances drop to the yawning emptiness of our midfield. When in possession, our advancing moves are grindingly slow and transparently obvious – dithering around on the wing, then a hospital pass to a man in trouble. Meanwhile, our opponents are all back and ready to defend. We have no fire, no spark, no danger – nothing to surprise or shock the opposition.

Case in point today – Shrews’ goal: acute, quick, incisive. We never even got close. This flaccid weakness has dogged us all season. A team from a small country town has beaten us three times in the last few weeks. Gillingham did the double over us; Wimbledon dumped us out of the Cup – and then beat us again at their crappy little ground in the league. Mid-season, we won just five league games in five months. We can’t score.

We need tackling and creative midfield players who command possession and feed instinctive, ruthless strikers. We need a clear-out. This should be Muir’s urgent priority.

In a nutshell. Spot on assessment/summary.
    An out of contract Otzhumer would fit the bill - as well as being one of our own.
  • Options
    Colin Walsh was sat in the away end , saw him near the front , think he had an Oasis t shirt on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Colin Walsh was sat in the away end , saw him near the front , think he had an Oasis t shirt on

A very underrated player. A cracking footballer in his day.

A good lad as well supposedly.
  • Options
    Sorry if this has already come up, but what's the latest on Marshall's non appearance. Was he injured?
  • Options

Colin Walsh was a classy player. Remember when we used to drink at The Valley pub in Charlton early to mid 90's he used to pop down and have a beer with everyone on a Sunday afternoon.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Sorry if this has already come up, but what's the latest on Marshall's non appearance. Was he injured?

According to one of the backroom staff he was dropped which surprised me if I'm honest...

• Options
    Spanish said:

JamesSeed said:

According to one of the backroom staff he was dropped which surprised me if I'm honest...

Wow, surprised about that.
  • Options
    Late to the party, but probably already been said.

We were up against it with the ref making some bad decisions but bottom line we couldn't score in 2 games, they marginally were the better team in the first and we didn't create enough chances. Best team won over 2 legs :(

I have to say Amos kicking did annoy me, he was great this season but 2nd leg the amount of times we passed back to him and he would take 10 seconds + to kick it out just wasn't a great game plan. If you pass back to the keeper they need to be on their toes like 'ederson' moving the ball quickly and not just lumping forward.

proper disappointing would have loved to go up, hopefully this year we can get the new owners in and a feel good factor and smash the league.
  • Options

He is most certainly :wink: .
  • Options
    edited May 2018

We were up against it with the ref making some bad decisions but bottom line we couldn't score in 2 games, they marginally were the better team in the first and we didn't create enough chances. Best team won over 2 legs :(

I have to say Amos kicking did annoy me, he was great this season but 2nd leg the amount of times we passed back to him and he would take 10 seconds + to kick it out just wasn't a great game plan. If you pass back to the keeper they need to be on their toes like 'ederson' moving the ball quickly and not just lumping forward.

proper disappointing would have loved to go up, hopefully this year we can get the new owners in and a feel good factor and smash the league.

Why pass back to the keeper though mate surely an outfield player can knock it forward more accurately assuming they are not under pressure. It's a cop out mate when we knock it about at the back then give it to the keeper to lump it. He's a stopper first and foremost no complaints from me for his contribution this season.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Why pass back to the keeper though mate surely an outfield player can knock it forward more accurately assuming they are not under pressure. It's a cop out mate when we knock it about at the back then give it to the keeper to lump it. He's a stopper first and foremost no complaints from me for his contribution this season.
    Agreed i dont like going back in the first place, but if you are going to do it dont do it with a keeper who takes years to just lump it forward. Gave us no chance to really gain any tempo or momentum just pass back to the keeper and lump it forward.
  • Options
    I think we have exauseted the subject now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think we have exauseted the subject now.

Let's hope no one else comments then.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I met Bob Andrews who played keyboards for the Brinsleys at a brewery in New Mexico a couple of years ago. Very nice guy.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Incredible, how the hell do people know about Brinsley Schwarz ?
  • Options
    There are people who don’t know about Brinsley Schwarz?
  • Options
    edited May 2018

He fixed my mate's guitar.
    He works as a guitar fixer up town.
    Met Brinsleys mum a few times, too.
    She used to be a show girl, and still went to gigs in her late 80's.
  • Options

I saw them at the BBC studios recording the In Concert programme. Back in the day.

• Options
    .... there's an irony to watching Shrewsbury running around like there's no tomorrow....

Will be very nice to welcome back The Salop to SE7 next season... I wonder if Henderson will dither so much about taking his goal kicks now ?

• Options
    Shrewsbury have done fantastic so I feel a bit guilty about looking forwards to playing them next season and rubbing their noses in it!
  • Options

Shrewsbury have done fantastic so I feel a bit guilty about looking forwards to playing them next season and rubbing their noses in it!

We will be better next season I doubt they will.