Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Royal Wedding Thread

Comments

• Options

Prince Philip ain't even British

Yes he is.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Yes he is.
    Who cares. He’s quite amusing, British or not.
  • Options
    My wife’s niece went to Will and Kate’s wedding and said the party after the reception was great. When they’re not on show the younger royals are actually capable of acting like normal people.
  • Options
    I’d switch those.
  • Options
    I was being polite !!
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Yes he is.
    Yeah, I know sorry, I was just pre-empting one of the haters mate.
  • Options

Must go and do a proper sightseeing visit to Windsor!

I watched in from Saudi. Am home next week for a few weeks and watching this caused me to book a weekend in Windsor in one of the hotels overlooking the castle. Going to do the castle and St.George's chapel, the history is just mind blowing. As they walked down the aisle yesterday they walked over the crypt of Henry VIII, Jane Seymour and Charles I. I find that kind of stuff pretty incredible. Shall also pop into the Church of St John the Baptist WIndsor. One of my favourite non-Charlton players is laid to rest there, David 'Rocky' Rocastle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

According to the Telegraph as many as 1.9 billion people watched the Royal Wedding yesterday. Britain shown at its best to so many people will be a massive boost to our tourism industry. The Royal Family and all the ceremonials that go with them, play a massive part in attracting people to this country. Windsor looked stunning yesterday and many people will want to visit.

I am very proud of our Royal Family and the traditions of Britain We are the envy of so many people across the world in the way that we do these occasions.

For £30 million to be viewed by 1.9 billion people, for the way the whole day looked, I would say that is a bargain for Britain. Thank god the weather was good though! Made a huge difference.

• Options
    I'd dispute those figures...but then I caught maybe twenty seconds of it over the vendor's shoulder at the Lewisham Station food and drinks kiosk as I waited for my panini. If anyone came within visual range of a public screen yesterday they probably saw it
  • Options

PWR.

caught the first bit up to their vows then had to pop out.....thought it was superb. Very regal & majestic. Weather great too. Nobody does pomp better than us brits. Makes you proud.

GA. Could we please restrict the use of the ubiquitous 'PWR' to Post Match threads only! I thank you. :wink:
  • Options

According to the Telegraph as many as 1.9 billion people watched the Royal Wedding yesterday. Britain shown at its best to so many people will be a massive boost to our tourism industry. The Royal Family and all the ceremonials that go with them, play a massive part in attracting people to this country. Windsor looked stunning yesterday and many people will want to visit.

I am very proud of our Royal Family and the traditions of Britain We are the envy of so many people across the world in the way that we do these occasions.

I don't necessarily disagree with this to an extent - but I do wonder if it is the royal family that tourists are attracted by or is it the landmarks? I take the point that occasions such as yesterday was an advertisement for those landmarks but other countries without an active monarchy still attract tourists - and these occasions are not exactly common are they? An average of what, once a decade?

I'd want to go see the tower of London or Buckingham Palace even without the royal family, much in the same way I don't need a French monarchy to want to see the Eiffel tower, an American one to see the empire state building or an Egyptian one to see the pyramids.

I don't particularly have a strong opinion regarding the royal family but there is a certain hypocrisy in a democratic country having an unelected head of state (whether it is symbolic or not) in this day and age.

• Options
    Great post bazjonster
  • Options
    Friend of mine was actually at the event said the reception after was a bowl type meal and something was wrong with the Canopies apparently here's a mad rush for the shitters from guests who had the Cadbury squirts from them. I am getting someone in the royal kitchen will be looking for a new job this week.
  • Options
    The main advantage of an emasculated figurehead Royal structure seem to be that the Monarch is the head of the judiciary and the armed forces...and the C of E for what that is worth.
    The consequence seems to be that a political leader/possible dictator can't control the Courts and the Army, and a Monarch acting autonomously would probably not be able to control those organs of the state simply by operating the 'off with their head' manoeuvre.
    The civil list I understand is paid to the Royal for being just that...civil. They ought to be nice to guests and the home population to make an agreeable impression of the UK, or they ought not to get so much free money.
    Giving gongs, opening stuff and visiting places is their area of expertise and they share that knowledge amongst themselves to good effect. As a belligerent student we were visited by Princess Alexandra and of course she picked on me to ask about an aspect of my work and she was charm personified.
    What is great about this or any country goes much further than state figureheads and ceremony. The UK is indeed fortunate that the Queen is so good at being the figurehead, I can't imagine Charles being so winning but maybe he will be.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Another point overlooked is that they are beyond corruption as they have no need to involve themselves in any shady deals or such like.
    Just take a look around the world at the corruption taking place on a daily basis by dodgy ‘elected’ presidents and heads of state, but due to their wealth at least we don’t have to bother with that scenario.
  • Options

Another point overlooked is that they are beyond corruption as they have no need to involve themselves in any shady deals or such like.
    Just take a look around the world at the corruption taking place on a daily basis by dodgy ‘elected’ presidents and heads of state, but due to their wealth at least we don’t have to bother with that scenario.

Prince Andrew and Kazakhstan / Gaddafi’ son / gun smuggler Tarek Kaitun / Jeffrey Epstein / money-launderer Sakher al-Materi, etc?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Andrew aside can you think of anyone else?
    He’s a rat and has been significantly side lined and distanced for years.
    Was it ever proved that he had much (if any) financial gain from his rather blatant and pathetic efforts.....I’m not sure he did.
  • Options
    10 pages and the blow hards get going. Not bad for CL.

Good luck to the pair of them, they will need it.
  • Options

I don't necessarily disagree with this to an extent - but I do wonder if it is the royal family that tourists are attracted by or is it the landmarks? I take the point that occasions such as yesterday was an advertisement for those landmarks but other countries without an active monarchy still attract tourists - and these occasions are not exactly common are they? An average of what, once a decade?

I'd want to go see the tower of London or Buckingham Palace even without the royal family, much in the same way I don't need a French monarchy to want to see the Eiffel tower, an American one to see the empire state building or an Egyptian one to see the pyramids.

I don't particularly have a strong opinion regarding the royal family but there is a certain hypocrisy in a democratic country having an unelected head of state (whether it is symbolic or not) in this day and age.

The landmarks do mean more because they are used by a current Royal family, and it's not just the buildings, it's the traditions and pageantry that people love to watch.

Having an unelected head of state is indeed an anachronism, but it pleases me if it slightly tempers the ego of our elected politicians, that the armed forces are there to serve the Queen and not the then current PM.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I'd dispute those figures...but then I caught maybe twenty seconds of it over the vendor's shoulder at the Lewisham Station food and drinks kiosk as I waited for my panini. If anyone came within visual range of a public screen yesterday they probably saw it

Nobody would expect anything less.

What a day and spectacle it was. Some of the daft over reactions on here from those not interested is a thing of beauty.
  • Options
    Was thinking last night about world exposure, bar the US President inauguration, what other regular non-sporting, non-entertainment world events around the globe attract such a sizeable world audience outside of our royal events (weddings, jubilee etc)?
  • Options
    New Pope?
  • Options

Was thinking last night about world exposure, bar the US President inauguration, what other regular non-sporting, non-entertainment world events around the globe attract such a sizeable world audience outside of our royal events (weddings, jubilee etc)?

@cafcdave123 getting the beers in
  • Options
    GSQ
  • Options

Outside of sport and the Oscars I don't think there is really? One off stuff like the OJ Simpson/Michael Jackson trials spring to mind but they aren't exactly regular occurances... Pope visits maybe??