Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sam Warburton retires from all rugby

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44869719

The physical nature of modern rugby really takes a toll on the body. Only 29 too

Comments

• That's come as a complete surprise. I don't know how many more players we'll see retire at this sort of age, but given the way Warburton played, I'm going to hope his retirement at such a young age is indicative of him and his style specifically, and not the game as a whole.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44869719

The physical nature of modern rugby really takes a toll on the body. Only 29 too

this .. lucky for Wales they have an abundance of fine back rowers .. if only England had the same ..
    enjoy your retirement Sam W, a media/broadcasting career awaits you for sure
  • He retires as his school mate takes yellow in TDF.
  • edited July 2018
    Real shame, fantastic player and a decent bloke.
  • That’s a real shame. Top player who always put himself on the line whenever he played. Wales will certainly miss him.
  • I think he is using he's loaf
  • Sensible but sad, he was an absolute warrior for Wales and the Lions and very professional
  • Professional Rugby is taking its toll on players health. So many big hits on the big men.
    Warburton was a great captain but always seem to be prone to injuries.
    I hope he made enough dough in his career.
  • Professional Rugby is taking its toll on players health. So many big hits on the big men.
    Warburton was a great captain but always seem to be prone to injuries.
    I hope he made enough dough in his career.

If not I'm sure he'll get work as a pundit, has always come across well.
  • I think he is using he's loaf

Needs to find a new way to earn a crust now.
  • Sponsored links:

• iaitch said:

He retires as his school mate takes yellow in TDF.

Also at school with Tom Maynard - an incredibly talented cricketer who died tragicly in 2012 when he was on the verge of an England call up.

Believe singer Lucy Jones was there too. Good crop of talent that.
  • Gareth Bale was also there.
  • Top, top player and great leader. He will be successful in whatever he does.

Best wishes to him.