Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Result stands.
  • Addickted said:

Certainly didn't contravene any rules.

F1 rules dictate that "crossing the line separating the pit entry and the track by a car entering the pit lane is prohibited".

Gets coat......
  • edited July 2018
    Addickted said:

Certainly didn't contravene any rules.

Actually it did, as he was given a reprimand for it, but they decided no further action was necessary due to the nature of the safety car period, the confusion of the radio message and the slippery conditions

Edit.

Just saw your above post haha
  • Cars cross the lines all the time for different reasons in virtually every race. I think the mitigating factor here was that it wasn't unsafe and no track advantage was achieved. Which is basically what the ex drivers were saying at the time. The timing suggests to me that Ferrari probably raised this, but the years where they would automatically win something like this because the are Ferrari, seem to be ending!

It was an epic drive from Hamilton. It is going to be an interesting Championship, Ferrari have the slightly better car and whilst Vettel is a great driver, Hamilton is slightly better than him. This suggests it is going to be close and the difference is probably going to come down to who can squeeze the most out of their cars through development.
  • The bloke’s a legend. Similar to Murray in tennis, never thought I’d see a British driver do so well in F1 for such a long time.

Like him or not, British motorsport will be much poorer when he retires.

So much support for him at Silverstone last week, wonder how many would have bought tickets without a genuine British challenger.

THIS.

Although the difference to Murray is that in F1, Britain has the Djokovic / Federer / Nadal Guy.

The one who is that step ahead of the other greats.
  • It was an epic drive from Hamilton. It is going to be an interesting Championship, Ferrari have the slightly better car and whilst Vettel is a great driver, Hamilton is slightly better than him.

I'd say Hamilton is more than slightly better than Vettel. In the seasons where Vettel hasn't had a superior car he's basically been nowhere but Hamilton consistently drives well even in an inferior car.

• The bloke’s a legend. Similar to Murray in tennis, never thought I’d see a British driver do so well in F1 for such a long time.

So much support for him at Silverstone last week, wonder how many would have bought tickets without a genuine British challenger.

THIS.

Although the difference to Murray is that in F1, Britain has the Djokovic / Federer / Nadal Guy.

And Andy didnt have a team mate ordered to let him beat him.

THIS.

No comparison - getting to the top of Tennis is far harder and they have a level playing field. F1 restricts who can take part and technology limits possible winners.

THIS.

And Andy didnt have a team mate ordered to let him beat him.
    You didn't hear what his precious mummy said to Jamie all the time then?
  • Sponsored links:

• the musical ?
  • Rizzo said:

It was an epic drive from Hamilton. It is going to be an interesting Championship, Ferrari have the slightly better car and whilst Vettel is a great driver, Hamilton is slightly better than him.

I'd say Hamilton is more than slightly better than Vettel. In the seasons where Vettel hasn't had a superior car he's basically been nowhere but Hamilton consistently drives well even in an inferior car.

Well in this sport slightly is massive. Vettel is consistently quick but Hamilton can pull quicker out of the bag and is better in the wet, Vettel is also not quite so good in traffic and makes a few more mistakes.

THIS.

No comparison - getting to the top of Tennis is far harder and they have a level playing field. F1 restricts who can take part and technology limits possible winners.

As someone who has a son competing in the British Karting Championships that is utter rubbish. Friends have come along to watch ad can’t quite believe what 40 8-13 kids are doing - both physically and mentally.

What you need to remember is that F1 is just one level of motorsport. Like all others Hamilton competed in the sport for 15 years before reaching F1. And in all other categories it’s equal cars and he blew everyone (including Vettel in F3) away.

The training required to race at high speed, and the sacrifices that training requires. And in hamiltons case they had no money as kids - his Dad had three jobs his to afford to go karting.

Mentally Hamilton is a true winner and one of the all time greats. He has no equal in his field

Murray is a brilliant player and took British tennis to new heights. But will he be remembered on the same level as Federer? Not quite.
    It's not rubbish - I'm talking about F1 and not Karting. F1 is a closed shop and reliant on technology - how many are on the grid and how many have cars capable of winning?

Other types of motorsports are far more competitive and better to watch - I certainly wouldn't argue with that.

Regarding sacrifices from parents this is true across all sports.

I'm not denying Hamilton's talent but given the shortcomings of F1 I can't see his achievement on a par with most other sports. F1 was far more evenly matched in the days of Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart and a better spectacle.

For me Murray's achievement is greater given the access to the sport. I can't really see F1 as a sport given the mismatch in the cars on the grid.

• You simply cannot argue the fact that Tennis is played on a more level playing field than F1. No doubt hard to get into F1, but once there it's all about building the best car and a lot less to do with ability.

Of course can take nothing away from Hamilton who is clearly a fantastic driver.
  • You simply cannot argue the fact that Tennis is played on a more level playing field than F1. No doubt hard to get into F1, but once there it's all about building the best car and a lot less to do with ability.

Of course can take nothing away from Hamilton who is clearly a fantastic driver.

Completely disagree with that. Unless any tennis players are robots?
  • edited July 2018

You simply cannot argue the fact that Tennis is played on a more level playing field than F1. No doubt hard to get into F1, but once there it's all about building the best car and a lot less to do with ability.

Thing is Hamilton is in the car he is in (the second best.... the Ferrari is quicker imo) because of what he has done in the junior formula. When it was a level playing field. On the whole the best drivers end up in the best cars - Alonso probably being one of the exceptions. And in the race yesterday when the rain came down and everyone was on slicks, there are still days (not enough i admit) where pure driver skill comes to the fore. And Vettel was found wanting.

I was actually more basing my argument on Hamilton and Murrays status' as greats in their sporting field and British folklore. Not the sports themselves.

In what they are competing in, Hamilton is tier 1. When all is said and done, people will look back and place him alongside the Sennas, Schumachers, Fangios of the sports past.

Likewise Federer and Djok and Nadal will be alongside Borg, Laver, Sampras etc. Murray wont be.

Thing is Hamilton is in the car he is in (the second best.... the Ferrari is quicker imo) because of what he has done in the junior formula. When it was a level playing field. On the whole the best drivers end up in the best cars - Alonso probably being one of the exceptions. And in the race yesterday when the rain came down and everyone was on slicks, there are still days (not enough i admit) where pure driver skill comes to the fore. And Vettel was found wanting.

I was actually more basing my argument on Hamilton and Murrays status' as greats in their sporting field and British folklore. Not the sports themselves.

In what they are competing in, Hamilton is tier 1. When all is said and done, people will look back and place him alongside the Sennas, Schumachers, Fangios of the sports past.

Likewise Federer and Djok and Nadal will be alongside Borg, Laver, Sampras etc. Murray wont be.
    Hamilton is at the top of his game but I do think F1 has got less competitive over time - how many cars on the start grid have a realistic chance of winning? This has detracted from F1 as a spectacle in my opinion.

Fangio would for me have to be the greatest given the nature of F1 at the time.

In terms of reaching the top of his sport I would agree Murray ranks well below Federer and Nadal.

Ah yeah I completely agree. Even if it were a level playing field, I find it hard to believe Hamilton wouldn't be right up there.

I also agree about Murray/Hamilton. Perhaps slightly unfair as Murray has come up against 3 of the games greats in his prime, whereas Hamilton has been a lot of rivals in superior cars. But no doubt Hamilton is going to be remembered as a better sportsman.
  • Stick them all in a Ford Fiesta and the same names would still be fighting for the podiums. The top teams may have the best cars but they also have the best drivers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:

Stick them all in a Ford Fiesta and the same names would still be fighting for the podiums. The top teams may have the best cars but they also have the best drivers.

Bet Fernando Alonso would be higher up in the standings though
  • great soundtrack, seeing it in October
  • edited July 2018

You simply cannot argue the fact that Tennis is played on a more level playing field than F1. No doubt hard to get into F1, but once there it's all about building the best car and a lot less to do with ability.

Yes, you can. You can have all the talent in the world but if you are not well over 6 feet tall you will get blown away in tennis. Freaks like Kevin Anderson, John Isner, J M Del Potro and Ivo Karlovic are extremely average players who only get a gig because their height advantage gives them a tremendous edge on their service games. If you were a brilliant 5' 8" tall tennis player, you might as well get a job flipping burgers.

• cafcfan said:

Yes, you can. You can have all the talent in the world but if you are not well over 6 feet tall you will get blown away in tennis. Freaks like Kevin Anderson, John Isner, J M Del Potro and Ivo Karlovic are extremely average players who only get a gig because their height advantage gives them a tremendous edge on their service games. If you were a brilliant 5' 8" tall tennis player, you might as well get a job flipping burgers.

Which can be countered by saying that unless you are a dwarf you might aswell forget about driving a Formula 1 car. And that's putting aside the debate about the best cars.

John McEnroe? Bjorn Borg? Agassi? Pretty sure David Goffin is about 5 foot 6 and he has been in the top 10 of the world.

• edited July 2018
    Croydon said:

Stick them all in a Ford Fiesta...

Top Gear basically did exactly that, except it was a Suzuki Liana:

Daniel Ricciardo - 1:42.2

Lewis Hamilton - 1:42.9

Mark Webber - 1:43.1

Sebastian Vettel - 1:44.0

Rubens Barrichello - 1:44.3

The Stig - 1:44.4

Nigel Mansell - 1:44.6

Jenson Button - 1:44.7

Jenson Button - 1:44.9 (w)

Kimi Raikkonen - 1:46.1 (w)

Damon Hill - 1:46.3

Mark Webber - 1:47.1 (w)

(w) denotes wet lap time
  • the strange thing is that in F1 the best drivers usually find themselves in the best cars :)
  • Croydon said:

Stick them all in a Ford Fiesta and the same names would still be fighting for the podiums. The top teams may have the best cars but they also have the best drivers.

Bet Fernando Alonso would be higher up in the standings though
    Defo would be, you only have to look at what Top Gear done. F1 drivers all in the same car, same track. Hamilton & Riccardio were the quickest two of the current drivers. Seb over a second behind!
  • cafcfan said:

Which can be countered by saying that unless you are a dwarf you might aswell forget about driving a Formula 1 car. And that's putting aside the debate about the best cars.

John McEnroe? Bjorn Borg? Agassi? Pretty sure David Goffin is about 5 foot 6 and he has been in the top 10 of the world.

Well you could but it wouldn't be true. Five of the current drivers are over 5'11". A recent ex-driver, Mark Weber is 6'3". Sure but someone like Massa was only 5'5" on a tall day but that's a good thing is it not?

McEnroe, Borg and Agassi were all 5'11" that probably made then "tall" for their eras. Goffin is also 5'11" he just looks short because of the freak shows at the other end. Diego Schwartzman is about the shortest player at the moment and has great quality but can't get past the QF stage. That says it all. It's not a level playing field. Now, if they handicapped the tall players by making them serve further behind the baseline, I might be able to agree with you. It's not just their height but the extra arm length that comes with it increases their in-built advantage.
  • cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

Well you could but it wouldn't be true. Five of the current drivers are over 5'11". A recent ex-driver, Mark Weber is 6'3". Sure but someone like Massa was only 5'5" on a tall day but that's a good thing is it not?

McEnroe, Borg and Agassi were all 5'11" that probably made then "tall" for their eras. Goffin is also 5'11" he just looks short because of the freak shows at the other end. Diego Schwartzman is about the shortest player at the moment and has great quality but can't get past the QF stage. That says it all. It's not a level playing field. Now, if they handicapped the tall players by making them serve further behind the baseline, I might be able to agree with you. It's not just their height but the extra arm length that comes with it increases their in-built advantage.
    Has anyone else noticed that @AFKABartram hasn't had much to say on this subject.