Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paul Madeley RIP.

Sadly passed away, fine player for Leeds & England.

Comments

• edited July 2018
    A fine player indeed, and a very stylish defender who could also play in most other positions even though he was surrounded by thugs like Bremner and Hunter.

RIP
  • I seem to remember him labelled as a ‘utility player’. He was fondly called ‘Play anywhere Paul’.
    You’ve got to be one special kind of player to do that.
    RIP
  • Good player who deserved a better team.
  • RIP. A true club legend, someone born in Leeds who only played for Leeds and only wanted to play for Leeds.
  • I believe he played in every position for Leeds except goalkeeper.
    The definition of a utility player.
    RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was an excellent player. RiP
  • He was the perfect number 12. In the days when you only had one substitute. RIP
  • R.I.P. Paul
  • Sponsored links:

• A really excellent utility player, who gave his heart and soul for Leeds.

Part of the most 'complete' football team I've ever seen play.

RIP
  • Addickted said:

A really excellent utility player, who gave his heart and soul for Leeds.

Part of the most 'complete' football team I've ever seen play.

RIP

Leeds were an excellent side and had some great players but they were tough as old boots. Madeley played with Terry Cooper, Charlton, Bremner, Hunter,Giles, Lorimer, Eddie Gray and Allan Clarke - what a set of players!
  • Pedro45 said:

He was the perfect number 12. In the days when you only had one substitute. RIP

Pedro, he was only a sub mainly for the first two years of his career, in the 17 years at Leeds.
    Paul Madeley made over 500 appearances in the League and over 700 in all competitions.
    Wore every shirt from 2 to 12.
    Don Revie was a strange dude, but was correct when he stated the day PM retires Leeds will lose 10 players.
    Was a Rolls Royce of a player who glided over the field ( young Joe Gomez is similar) he won 24 caps and to Leeds fans was a true Legend.
    Never fitted the "dirty Leeds' moniker of Bremner, Hunter, Giles etc,

Utility player doesn't do the feller justice.

RIP
    Paul Madeley.
  • Was a top player - R.I.P.
  • Pedro45 said:

He was the perfect number 12. In the days when you only had one substitute. RIP

Pedro, he was only a sub mainly for the first two years of his career, in the 17 years at Leeds.
    Paul Madeley made over 500 appearances in the League and over 700 in all competitions.
    Wore every shirt from 2 to 12.
    Don Revie was a strange dude, but was correct when he stated the day PM retires Leeds will lose 10 players.
    Was a Rolls Royce of a player who glided over the field ( young Joe Gomez is similar) he won 24 caps and to Leeds fans was a true Legend.
    Never fitted the "dirty Leeds' moniker of Bremner, Hunter, Giles etc,

Utility player doesn't do the feller justice.

RIP
    Paul Madeley.
    I did not mean it in a disparaging way Sam; he was a very good player in his own right, but did play second fiddle for many seasons simply by way of not having a "best" position. He therefore played many times when one or another player was out injured (or suspended, as was often the case with Leeds). As an aside, what do you think was his best position? To me, he was a centre back, but with Charlton and Hunter in situe, he rarely got a chance there.
  • a real quality player ...should have played more for England better at Centre half than anywhere else
  • Remember watching Paul on TV he was a class act, comfortable on the ball and a tough tackling centre half, he played with some great players in the Leeds team that won the league cup, FA cup, 2 Fairs cups & 2 League Championships.
    Paul made 24 Appearances for England 1971-77.

R.I.P Paul a great pro'
  • edited July 2018
    RIP Paul