Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CURBISHLEY' S RETURN

edited October 2008 in Rumours
No-one else picked up the rumour from the People ? : because of a ruckus between Mr Pardew and Mr Murray, serious consideration is being given to Mr Curbishley's return!!! It is reported that Pardew spoke out of turn about the collapse of the take-over by Zabeel and the board turned on him saying that Charlton's poor form was Pardew's fault and he should stick to football matters. This preumes that CAFC have the finances to pay Pardew off. Any ideas whether this is true or feasible or desireable? Do we ant Alan back? Would he come back? With Rednapp's move, is a merry-go-round going to start?

Comments

• Oh i picked up on it alright.The reporting was so bad didn't think it warranted a mention.

Worse than the takeover stuff.
  • Oh please God get Curbishley back. When Curbs took over we were roughly where we are now and he took us to 4th in The Prem ( I know we slid after that).

Pardew has taken us from The Prem to 20th in The Championship. (I don't blame him for the relegation, but I do blame him for us being 20th).

There are hundreds of issues but a fact is a fact.

I commented at half time yesterday that if I was Murray I would be on the Phone to Curbs tonight.
  • edited October 2008
    oi oi read derek chappell's post tomorrow's game

there you go
  • cue oooaaah and len glover.
  • edited October 2008
    Thanks for the edit i couldn't find the thread was just searching for it :o)
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Thanks for the edit i couldn't find the thread was just searching for it :o)

No problem.

Have you a link to the story- not that for one minute i think it either genuine or likely to happen,
  • Strange isn't it? We all knew we were steady and safe (if a little stale) under Curbs , yet collectively (ok, not Len) we probably wanted something a little more exciting. Well we've certainly got it! Is this the scenario the phrase "be careful what you wish for" was coined for? Bizarrely, other than being concerned over our future if we fall further, I'm actually finding games thrilling at the moment, as long as the positive chants outweigh the dullards. And no, I don't for a moment think everything's rosy.
  • [cite]Posted By: Paddy7[/cite]Strange isn't it? We all knew we were steady and safe (if a little stale) under Curbs , yet collectively (ok, not Len) we probably wanted something a little more exciting. Well we've certainly got it! Is this the scenario the phrase "be careful what you wish for" was coined for? Bizarrely, other than being concerned over our future if we fall further, I'm actually finding games thrilling at the moment, as long as the positive chants outweigh the dullards. And no, I don't for a moment think everything's rosy.

Paddy, it's easy to make a virtue out of a neccessity. We aren't playing well so it's thrilling when we manage to hang on for a draw or scrape an away victory whislt spending much of the game failing to pass to one another.

I'd much rather we looked confident at the back, combatative in midfield and sharp in attack. Those were the kind of teams Curbs put out. Apart from a few glimpses and one decent game against Reading, we haven't looked sharp in attack this season. Against teams like Palarse we have been woefully non-combatative in midfield and since Fortune was injured we haven't looked like keeping a clean sheet. I'd settle for attacking football which left us a bit precarious on occassions at the back but again, other than the odd glimpse, we haven't had that either.

As far as I'm concerned I support Pards until the board decide to relieve him of his duties but I am astonished that anyone could desire the current performances in favour of the sort of ones that, over a period of time Curbishley produced.

This is probably just a kite flying exercise by a story generating Journo but if the board do lose faith in Pards, and are convinced that Curbs could get us back to the Prem, why wouldn't we want him back? A more appropriate question might be, why would he want to come back, especially after some of the half-hearted praise and revisionist slurs on what most neutrals believe was his incredible time at the club that have rumbled on both during his latter years here and after he left?
  • In some ways I can see us wanting Curbs back, yet I doubt very much he would want to make a return it would be like admitting defeat and that without us he cannot do a job (although personally I am not sure that I would welcome it, the Curbs of old yes not the tired shell that we seem to see these days)
  • Sponsored links:

• dnt be stupid! move on
  • I can see the board getting fed up with Pards, but cannot see Curbs coming back. In Chappells interview on here he was quite forthright about how nothing had changed from where we were prior to the bid,true, and talked about how we had managed our finances to put us in a reasonable position this summer and that despite this Pards felt he had a better squad this season. I think thats Chappell setting the ground for at least rebukes for Pardew. i doubt if Murray would openly get involved now, but would leave any football club actions to Chappell, otherwise he would be seen to be undermining the CEO that had only just been introduced.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]zzzzzzzzz

Indeed.
  • I could see Curbs ending up at Pompey funnily enough.
  • nope i think tony adams will get the job.
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]nope i think tony adams will get the job.

Yeah your probably right there...however if they were to draw up a short list, Curbs would tick a lot of their boxes I'd have thought.
  • i thought that this morning,until someone reminded me there was not a hope in hell of adams following Harry to spurs.
  • Yeah...where goes Curbs there goes Merv!
  • edited October 2008
  • Bing... you stated..
    I'd much rather we looked confident at the back, combatative in midfield and sharp in attack. Those were the kind of teams Curbs put out.

for years we had to put up with an out of form lisbie, a dissapointing bartlett, a totally lost his touch johansson, a hardly setting the pitch on fire Euell is this the sharp attack you were talking about ?
  • Sponsored links:

• If we had the dosh to get rid of Pards i think Adams is a good shout.
  • the club has not been in this bad a position results wise since the early eighties, we're crap at the moment playing wise and but for the board and curbishley gaining us this decent stadium and extra fans we'd be even further in the s**t
    but that's my opinion and it isn't rose tinted
  • [cite]Posted By: shrew[/cite]Bing... you stated..
    I'd much rather we looked confident at the back, combatative in midfield and sharp in attack. Those were the kind of teams Curbs put out.

for years we had to put up with an out of form lisbie, a dissapointing bartlett, a totally lost his touch johansson, a hardly setting the pitch on fire Euell is this the sharp attack you were talking about ?

Look we could trade player for player and still not agree. He got us up to the Prem twice and we reached the highest league position for forty years. During that time we beat Chelsea regularly, beat Spurs regularly, beat West Ham regularly, even beat Arsenal a few times. That cannot have been achieved by not getting the team right. We never created a mass of chances so our goals to shots count was considerably higher than many and certainly higher than now. Frankly this debate has been done to death on here. I'd have him back end of.
  • No, move on.

Curbs is a legend, he wrote his own chapters in Charlton history - but what he did for Charlton is now done.

Something about the man himself has also changed. Let him find himself again with fresh challenges elsewhere.
    I'm sure that's the right thing for all concerned.
  • Agreed with OR on this
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]No, move on.

Curbs is a legend, he wrote his own chapters in Charlton history - but what he did for Charlton is now done.

Something about the man himself has also changed. Let him find himself again with fresh challenges elsewhere.
    I'm sure that's the right thing for all concerned.

I understand where you are coming from, I just feel differently about it to you. Redknapp went back to Pompey, why not Curbs to us? It won't happen though because I don't think he'll want to return and maybe, in that instance, I agree with you that the right thing for him is not to come back.
  • Hi Bing,.

Of course, if Curbs was to be appointed manager here again, I'd be right behind him.

But like you say in your last sentence, I don't think he would choose to try and start again at Charlton.
    He'd be on a hiding to nothing - and I'm sure he'd know that too.
  • There is a little rumour that big fat Sam is top of the Pompey wish list
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I could see Curbs ending up at Pompey funnily enough.[/quote]

hah !!
    Hes a cockney geeeeezer ain't 'e !!
    Don't wanna leave Loooonnnndon Townnn does 'e ?
    Gaw blimey, apples an' pears !