Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CHARLTON 0 PETERBOROUGH 1 - 21st August 2018

CHARLTON 0 PETERBOROUGH 1 (Cummings pen 89)

Attendance 9,762 (745 Peterborough)

Charlton PPhillips; Bauer, Bielik, Sarr; Solly, Pratley, Morgan (Ajose, 66), Aribo, Page, Grant, Taylor

Peterborough Chapman, Naismith, Daniel, Woodyard (C), Tafazolli, O’Hara, Godden (Toney, 62), Dembele (Cooper, 83), Ward (Maddison, 62), Bennett, Cummings

Summary

Frustration and late heart break again for Charlton. The Addicks lost at home for the first time this season thanks to a contentious late penalty in a game that provoked a huge amount of unhappiness with its officiating.
A decent midweek battle played at a good pace looked to be fairly concluding with honours shared. However a late collision between Page and Toney saw the referee point to the spot. Fair to say with no exaggeration that Bowyer went batsh*t crazy at the officiating after the game.

Post Match comments

Bowyer: ““That hurt so much because my players gave absolutely everything out there. I told them that they had been cheated, robbed, however you want to describe it, however you want to dress it up. The referee gave them absolutely everything all night and their manager was constantly on at the ref and I would think that he bullied him into that decision. It was the wrong decision, everyone could tell it was the wrong decision and I feel so sorry for the lads.”

“They’ve given everything. They won all their individual battles, we outplayed them and we were the team who was going to score, we were knocking on the door time and time again. But then they break and they win a penalty that was never a penalty. It’s just not right in any sense of the imagination.”

“I’ve played in the game many, many years and I know how my lads feel now and they don’t deserve it. I told them to look each other in the eye and respect each other because, at the end of the day, they’ve just given everything and they can hold their head up high.

“If they keep doing that week in, week out, which they do, then they will get promotion this year, I have no doubt about that. They’ve been cheated out of a point, maybe three because we were in the ascendency and could have scored at the end.”

STATBANK Player Marks

Bielik = 7.21
Phillips = 6.88
Ajose = 6.65
Bauer = 6.61
Sarr = 6.46
Solly = 6.40
Page = 6.18
Taylor = 6.13
Aribo = 6.08
Pratley = 5.95
Morgan = 5.93
Grant = 5.93

Team Average = 6.37

At the game...

@ValleyGary : I’ll start with the bad. The officials were nothing more than a disgrace. I lost count of times the ref looked and the linesman and then he looked back at the ref, and neither had aclue what was going on. He ruined Morgan’s game with an early booking and Albie ended up pulling out of a few 50/50’s as he didn’t wanna get a second yellow. We did give away so many silly little fouls, lost count of the amount of free kicks they had in our half throughout the game.

Obviously our lack of goals is a worry, the 1 shot on target being slightly misleading due to the amount of blocks from their players on the line or in the 6 yard box. We must be more clinical.

Attacking set pieces. We are crying out for a decent taker. This isn’t Sunday league ffs, it’s not hard delivering a corner. Page should be taking them imo, his delivery from open play is usually decent.

Positives. Obviously our work rate and that we didn’t look that far off a Peterborough team that have a 100% record and have done a lot of business.

Bowyers substitution was proactive. Looked like we went to a 3-4-3 and Ajose did well when he come on. Pulled defenders out and there was some decent link up play between the front three and Aribo in the second half.

Crowd did well but when there’s a bit of controversy and that fat lob is in their dugout, then you expect a reaction from the stands.

All in all a decent performance and we deserved a point. No way will we go down and I expect a finish between 9th-14th.

Demebele will probably be the best footballer down the Valley this season. Not just quick but skillfull and clever. A very good player at this level and I’d expect him to tear a few teams apart this season.

Matchday Links

Preview
Match Thread
Post Match Views
Player Marks Thread
Statbank

Return to 2018/19 fixtures HERE

(Photo credit: Kyle Andrews)

Comments

• Dembélé was picked up from Grimsby for a song .. just the type of player we should be looking to sign (when/if we ever get any cash) .. instead we sign slightly shop worn veterans who might just lack a bit of ambition and drive