Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ADMIN NOTE: All members please read

Lately, some posters seem intent to use this forum simply to rant, or to slag off or snipe at others, or to tell the world about things that offend them or they think are a disgrace, or to provoke disagreements or to post solely on non-Charlton subjects.

Quite simply, 'we' are fed up with it. I don't mind admitting i am. It wasn't how we wanted our forum to be, in fact it was due to those reasons elsewhere we decided to start this site in the first place. It makes the general tone of the forum a negative one. and it provides little enjoyment to something we devote ridiculous hours and money to.

To have something that's smooth running, we always have to take a more liberal stance to moderation, even if a lot of the time its not my own, or other admins, personal view or approach.

We have built up a really nice community of good people, and the fact i know the chairman, board members and senior members of staff read the site because they feel its the best place to get a balanced understanding of a cross-section of fans views makes us really proud, because it shows we are doing something right. There was an article about us in the programme on Saturday about the work we do for Demelza and it was fantastic recognition for us.

But the level of debate in the forum has disintegrated of late because too many either can't disagree in a civil manner, use the forum as a general sounding off board, or post stuff to provoke a reaction. We're getting up to 1,500 comments added a day, and its getting harder and harder to moderate, and when we have to spend a lot of it editing out abuse, controversial, offensive or libellous comments, our enjoyment goes, and eventually so will our committment.

This isn't directed at anyone specific, but i'm asking everyone to consider why you use the forum and what you post. Its a football site that occassional strays off into other subjects. It should not be dominated by other subjects, and it should never get to the point where people are name-calling or being childish, nor seeking to provoke reaction. Please consider before you hit the send button whether what you are adding is appropriate, or how it will be construed by others.

Otherwise, we will soon have to change things, which we desperately don't want to do. But the bottom line is although its popular at present, its both not reflective of what we want it to be, and nor do we think it will stay popular if certain trends continue. But we will not let our time and effort go to waste, or be ruined by others (intentionally or unintentionally).

Please help us maintain this site as a respected, sensible, civil but fun place.

Please have another scan and a reminder of the regulations set out

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=17&page=1#Item_2

thanks a lot
CL Team

Comments

• If things dont change, they'll just stay the same :-)

Good luck Dan
  • You'd think we'd know better at our age, wouldn't you?
  • age has alot to do with it. people are set in their views etc

PS Millwall are shit and i dont care if i get banned for saying SHIT !!!
  • Or to post solely on non-charlton subjects.

That's me finished then.
  • [cite]Posted By: Badger[/cite]Or to post solely on non-charlton subjects.

That's me finished then.

Badger - I could have sworn you started a Charlton-related thread the other day, or was I dreaming?
  • Well said AFKA.
  • I've said on the fans forum thread, but will add it here too. In the end, we didn't all choose each other as friends (nor would we probably) and the only thing we all have in common is Charlton - there's a much wider range of people on here in terms of age, class (whatever that may mean...) and opinions than most of us have in our normal circle of friends. That's where some of the difficulties sometimes come from - esp as AFKA rightly says, we only have the written word to go on and no facial expressions/ body language. Let's all try to be well-behaved and tolerant without losing the debate and the fun!

Well done AFKA and team, you do a great job, and please keep it going.
  • I love it here but fear a ban coming up!!.....LOL!
  • Well said, AFKA.
  • You are absolutely right, the forum is getting more and more negative comments and consequently a lot of what is posted is skipped over, and then something worth seeing is missed. Good luck.
  • Sponsored links:

• I use this site because as a Charlton Athletic, and moreover a football fan we can and do talk about things other than Charlton and indeed football.
    If you do not want "other" stuff apart from CAFC please let me know. I only joined this site because although I am a long standing Charlton fan I like to talk about other things too.
    I do try not to get too personal with others during heated debates, but one or two users on here really are annoying and I will continue to argue with them till the cows come home.
    I know I could be a real pain on NetAddciks sometimes and try not to do the same on here. Fortunately the biggest dick on that site hardly uses this one anymore. Anyway I've ignored him for 2 years now anyway.
    If you want a wishy washy we love Charlton site then it's not for me. I understand some of what you say Danny, but please do not try and put off the real original posters or you will be really disappointed with what you are left with, regardless of how many board members, and REAL ones at that, post on here.
  • it's tough times at charlton and everyones a bit stressed out.... it would be so much easier if we were mixing it with the big boys rather than being in our worst playing spell for over 25 years imo
  • Unfortunately Afka the bigger this place gets the more of a problem you will have.That's life i suppose.

Good luck in your endeavours though.
  • If I've personally upset or offended anyone over the last few months I can only send apologies (100%).
    I treat this site as "my friends" and which friends never have a heated arguement now-and-again ?
    But they always come through and remain friends don't they ?
    As Carly says though, the bigger the site the more problems arise.
    Hope everything works out okay; On the pitch & on the Site !!
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I use this site because as a Charlton Athletic, and moreover a football fan we can and do talk about things other than Charlton and indeed football.
    If you do not want "other" stuff apart from CAFC please let me know. I only joined this site because although I am a long standing Charlton fan I like to talk about other things too.
    I do try not to get too personal with others during heated debates, but one or two users on here really are annoying and I will continue to argue with them till the cows come home.
    I know I could be a real pain on NetAddciks sometimes and try not to do the same on here. Fortunately the biggest dick on that site hardly uses this one anymore. Anyway I've ignored him for 2 years now anyway.
    If you want a wishy washy we love Charlton site then it's not for me. I understand some of what you say Danny, but please do not try and put off the real original posters or you will be really disappointed with what you are left with, regardless of how many board members, and REAL ones at that, post on here.

We love each other really:-)
  • I promise to try not to swear at Charlie Block.....
  • Why swear at C-block ? I know they're very quite,but........
    ;-)
  • waht's that crunching noise ? Everyone treading on egg shells me thinks ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]waht's that crunching noise ? Everyone treading on egg shells me thinks ;-)

haha, ain't that the truth
  • There are about half as many people online today as yesterday - because of the barneys, or because they are afraid of having to mind their Ps and Qs? ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]There are about half as many people online today as yesterday - because of the barneys, or because they are afraid of having to mind their Ps and Qs? ;-)

Nah, post match yesterday, seems to be a load more people about then
  • Good point, Rothko - I'm quite good at overlooking the obvious sometimes!
  • Weegie ur a lady they do that !

ok ok ill get me coat.
  • GH - I also reserve the right to change my mind on occasion (though not about AP...), but at least I can do several things at a time...

but let's be careful not to get too controversial now...!!

;-)
  • I joined CL after Reams site went down in November last year and it seems to have become a home because it is predominantly Charlton chat. Coming from an Asian background I am sensitive to some of the more intense anti or even pro foreigners threads that some message boards have. I find here that these debates never get to the level of intensity that I feel unwelcome, whereas I have elsewhere.

I do hope that this thread is not born of a desire to restrict critsicism of the club or Pardew, whilst I am 100% supportive of the board ( the real club outside the fans) and 65% supportive of Pardew (altough rapidly declining) critisism is desirable and needed to enable the board members to maintain their feeling of togetherness with the fans, and apart from that if we all agreed it would be so boring.
  • I had a little joke with Chirpy earlier up above but this thread deserves a serious response.

In my opinion the problem is not the subject matter be it Charlton or non- Charlton but the tolerance or otherwise of some posters towards others who hold differing opinions from them.

It maybe an old fashioned thing to say but it comes down to respect and consideration for others even if some people can be annoying with repetition of the same old things. (Am I in a glasshouse with a stone?:-) ).

Weegie is right when she says that we come from different circumstances and backgrounds but are united by our love (or should that be psychological delusion?) of all things Charlton.

I find it difficult to relate to those who feel thepolice should pursue motorists rather than muggers for example yet those people are entitled to their opinion just as I am to mine.

Maybe the rule should be discuss and refute the issues raised rather than insult the personalities with whom you disagree.

Simple really!
  • Maybe a few more mods on the forum could make a difference..?
  • [cite]Posted By: MCFC[/cite]Maybe a few more mods on the forum could make a difference..?

yeah me me me LOL Just kidding smudge or am i LOL
  • [cite]Posted By: MCFC[/cite]Maybe a few more mods on the forum could make a difference..?

I bet I'm the only 'true mod' on this board MCFC....Vespa GS for my 16th birthday January 1964 and then a mini for my 17th.
    Was at Hastings and Margate(missed Brighton) for the riots...well not really riots were they, all a bit of laugh to be honest!
    I agree, if there were a few more of us real mods on the board it would be quite a hoot!!
  • I like Vespa's and the Who does that count?, a better side on the park might cheer us up a bit, plenty of good support at the games I've been to this year.