Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Southend v Charlton | Sat 01 Sep | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Southend United v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 1st September 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Brett Huxtable (Devon)

Introduction

Creativity appears to be one of the key words this season… From the opening month of the season its clear that Charlton can compete at this level and should never be at threat of relegation come next May, yet what is clear is the fact that more chances need to be created and taken.

Last Saturday saw the Addicks entertaining (I use that word loosely) Fleetwood Town, few opportunities were taken and the 0-0 scoreline was perhaps too kind for the teams competing at the Valley. So we now enter September looking to increase our points tally from the magical number that is: 5 – Five league games await this month, beginning with a short trip over to Essex, where an old friend and his side awaits

The Opposition
Name: Southend United | Manager: Chris Powell
Ground: Roots Hall

We all knew this day could come yet surprisingly in a way, its taken four years to happen… Chris Powell is of course a man who’ll forever remain a modern day legend to Charlton fans, a professional on and off the pitch with his work rate epitomised our time in the Premier League. Powell upon retirement would start his Managerial career at the Valley which saw records tumbling as we finally won promotion back to the Championship.

We all know what happened next to Charlton, yet for Powell he would go on to have a mixed time at Huddersfield before returning this year to another old playing side; Southend, whose fans probably love him as much as we do (nope cant believe that)… Since taking charge at Roots Hall you can certainly see that Southend have a man who might take them in the same direction as Charlton, with a higher win percentage, our opponents have lost just seven games (two this season) under his stewardship, meaning that the current crop of Charlton players can expect a battle on their hands to come away with anything at 5pm!!

Charlton Team News
August has without doubt been a difficult month for the Addicks and with Lee Bowyer having to call on the inexperience of George Lapslie and Albie Morgan its been impressive that even five points have been gained… It is in defence though where most points appear to have been saved though, with just the one clean sheet it could have been a lot worse and with Jason Pearce returning to the team you’d hope that’ll tighten us up at the back even further.

Further forward and there is even better news with Tariqe Fosu and Igor Vetokele returning to training… the latter making his first appearance for Charlton in a few years and looked fired up for the cause, the former on the other hand was only due to return to training on Monday so may have to accept a place on the bench – Tomorrow marks the end of the Transfer Window for EFL clubs and with Bowyer still working hard we may see someone like Josh Cullen / Eunan O’Kane or one other arriving at Sparrows Lane so they too may be involved this Saturday in some form!!

Phillips
Bauer | Pearce | Sarr
Solly | Aribo | Bielik | Pratley | Page
Grant | Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Steer | Dijksteel | Fosu | Ajose | Marshall | Vetokele | Cullen

Prediction
As already stated; facing a Chris Powell side is always going to be difficult and see Saturday being no different… On the player front it looks as though Bowyer will finally start to have a selection headache and whilst I think we can take a point from Southend, taking all three might be a bit too much of a challenge, regardless who plays.

Comments

• a draw share of the spoils - scp is a legend but hopefully no singing from the away end during the game hes the opposition manager and has moved on, passing up on this one.
  • I went last year (boxing day) we were awful, have a feeling we will knick this one. Tempting to get a ticket , but the ground is rubbish!
  • looks to me like another draw .. like back to the 1-1 run of yore .. good to see Pearce is fit again and that opinion seems (at last) to suggest that Sarr is now worth his place .. still concerned about the lack of creativity in midfield and scoring ability up front .. but it is what it is (as the wise man sayeth)

Southend United 1 v CAFC 1
  • I went last year (boxing day) we were awful, have a feeling we will knick this one. Tempting to get a ticket , but the ground is rubbish!

I was there as well .. waste of a holiday .. that's why I will not return this weekend
  • Will tickets be available on the day/at the ground?
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.

I was there as well .. waste of a holiday .. that's why I will not return this weekend
    I am semi tempted as i think we might win, but not sure i want to go to that dump again, possibly one of the worse grounds i've been too.
  • More of the same... i.e. "I don't feckin know!"
  • Not been for a few years, last time we nicked a last minute winner from Kyle Reid, am going this time on coach as on Jack Jones. This time around a 1-0 win with super-sub Vetokele getting the all important goal.
  • I suspect we're going through a run like we had under Russell Slade, another away 1-1 draw

On current form, 2 mid table sides.
  • Sponsored links:

• Comfortable home win. 4-0.

Roland goads the away fans by swinging on the crossbar in front of them.

Shat.
  • The suggested midfield has no attacking players (Aribo maybe).
  • Josh Cullen added to the bench
  • We can now put Cullen on the bench
  • 2.1 Charlton to kick start a run of five straight wins.
  • 0 - 0 Bore draw
  • 1 - 0 to Southend
  • After our 3-1 loss at Roots Hall last year, a Southend fan on their forum suggested that Sarr was playing only because he had won a public competition.

We are a bit tougher under Bowyer than under Robinson. I foresee honours even with Mr Powell - 1-1 draw.

• To be confident, I need to see some things change. For me, If we get an early goal we sit back, if we concede an early goal we capitulate! If we win, it will be by keeping it tight and getting a second half goal - the later the better! I'm not overly optimistic in all honesty! Hopefully Cullen will have a positive impact!
  • I dooonnn't knnnooowww....
    Maybe.....
    Nah, still nothing
  • Sponsored links:

• Why do I do it to myself? If Pearce starts, 0-2 win.
  • Draw written all over it
  • Assuming he's fit enough I'd chuck Cullen straight in. We desperately need some creativity in midfield. You know with a SCP size they're going to be well organized and probably look to hit you on the counter so having someone who will both track back and who can potentially pick a pass is extremely important. As we saw on Saturday Bielik is a defensive midfielder, Pratley puts in a shift but doesn't really have that creative spark, and that makes it easy for teams to deny Aribo the time and space he needs to run at defenses.

I'd go with a 4-4-2 diamond. Because of the personnel it means that we can switch to 3-5-2 if things aren't working. But with three at the back without a natural sitting player we've left our defenders exposed at times. I also don't think Solly has it in him to be a wingback.

.......... Phillips
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    ............... Bielik
    ........ Cullen....Pratley
    ................Aribo
    ......... Taylor....Grant
  • edited August 2018

Just seen this on Instagram. Makes me think he'll be on the bench tomorrow (I know you have him there FA). I have to confess it worries me a little bit as he's been out for what 4-5 weeks and he'll have only had a week of training and Bowyer admitted they rushed him back for the playoffs last year.

We have CheckaTrade on Tuesday I believe, I'd much rather he get 20-30 minutes there so he can be eased back in to things, then have him on the bench a week Saturday.
  • SDAddick said:

Just seen this on Instagram. Makes me think he'll be on the bench tomorrow (I know you have him there FA). I have to confess it worries me a little bit as he's been out for what 4-5 weeks and he'll have only had a week of training and Bowyer admitted they rushed him back for the playoffs last year.

We have CheckaTrade on Tuesday I believe, I'd much rather he get 20-30 minutes there so he can be eased back in to things, then have him on the bench a week Saturday.
    Bowyer confirmed he will be on the bench on Saturday, as will Reeves. I think it’s a good idea, he would be been training with the group for around a week, done lots of gym and strength work prior and work outside with the medical team too.

Give him 15 minutes or so Saturday, maybe play him for 45-60 on Tuesday and see how he goes.

I know we want to ease him in and he won’t be rushed, but I am sure he will be better and more fit than people think.
  • I dooonnn't knnnooowww....
    Maybe.....
    Nah, still nothing

Well, slept on it last night, and now it's all numb and useless but slowley recovering...

A come from behind win !!!
    1:2
    Taylor and Pearce

...now where has it gone...
  • at least we can't be any worse than boxing day & with players returning a win must be just around the corner....

0-1. LB only does binary.
  • Fancy an easy win for once, with no anxiety inducing refreshing for the last 10 minutes (plus regulation 6 minutes injury time!)

Reckon we’ll get a penalty today too.
  • 1-0 Charlton...scrappy game but I think we will nick it.