Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Plans to demolish Charlton pub just submitted

Comments

• Had many quality sessions in there over the years
  • I remember the live bands they used to have in the back hall in the 60s
  • Years since I've been there
  • Had many quality sessions in there over the years

Same here, when it was The Roupell, the Broom and the Pickwick.
  • Often stopped in there on the walk to and from the ground...sad to see it go
  • Spent plenty of time in there myself but it's been a dump for the last ten years and no-one is going to revive it as a pub.
  • Drank in there many a time, mid 80’s Terry Naylor used to work behind the jump
  • Used to be one of our lunchtime pubs in the 80's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Misleading from the outside just how much land it occupies.
  • The link says that the plans see 14 flats built in a replacement block, a new pub and 6 houses.
  • iaitch said:

The link says that the plans see 14 flats built in a replacement block, a new pub and 6 houses.

How the hell are they going to fit all that in there?! Are the flats the size of shoeboxes?
  • Missed It said:

iaitch said:

The link says that the plans see 14 flats built in a replacement block, a new pub and 6 houses.

How the hell are they going to fit all that in there?! Are the flats the size of shoeboxes?
    It's a big pub with a fair sized garden. Plenty big enough
  • Spent plenty of time in there myself but it's been a dump for the last ten years and no-one is going to revive it as a pub.

Maybe, but's it's the loss of a character building, to be replaced by a bland apartment block, because they want to develop the land.

They make their quick profit and then move on to do the same again where ever they can, repeat ad infintium - regardless of the impact on those neighbourhoods/community.

• Such a shame as I did love this pub on a match day, friendly bar staff.
  • I grew up sitting outside pubs in Woolwich and Charlton, my mum and dad were regulars in most of them. Especially in the Frances Street area, namely The Army House, Kings Head, Navy and Army and the Admiral.
    Yesterday, I had to go to the Valley and drove that way. It's so sad to see how many pubs are no longer there, I truly believe that this is killing community spirit.

• so many pubs close now - the money to be made on drink is f all - that combined with the shit you have to put up with, people nowadays expect food, sky & bt sport, a selection of "bottled" beers, bottles of prosecco, board games - at least that is what everyone around london expects, an old school pub i dont mind is the albany in albany park -pool table for a bit of killer pool with mates and has a few tellies.
  • so many pubs close now - the money to be made on drink is f all - that combined with the shit you have to put up with, people nowadays expect food, sky & bt sport, a selection of "bottled" beers, bottles of prosecco, board games - at least that is what everyone around london expects, an old school pub i dont mind is the albany in albany park -pool table for a bit of killer pool with mates and has a few tellies.

Ended up in there for an impromptu alldayer when I got snowed in Albany Park once. Place was full of commuters on the piss
  • ....nice Indian over the road an all if I remember rightly and bought my Lambretra from Barry the Bat of Albany Park Scooters. That's all I know about Albany Park, always struggled to find the road out of there to be quite honest....
  • Sponsored links:

• I think one of the mods hails from there, at least he got the right hump when I called it a one horse town a while back
  • ....nice Indian over the road an all if I remember rightly and bought my Lambretra from Barry the Bat of Albany Park Scooters. That's all I know about Albany Park, always struggled to find the road out of there to be quite honest....

The Ruchi, was in there on Tuesday. Scooter place not there now though. The Albany is a decent pub.
  • Can't be many pubs left within a mile of the Valley.

Watermans gone, Valley gone, Pickwick and Antigallican going, Swan and Bugle always seems to be under threat.
  • iaitch said:

Can't be many pubs left within a mile of the Valley.

Watermans gone, Valley gone, Pickwick and Antigallican going, Swan and Bugle always seems to be under threat.

Don't forget the horse and groom.

I know, it’s terrible. Next thing you know they’ll start letting women in.
  • Very sad day. Many charlton related memories in this fine old proper pub.
    If we were in the premiership may be it could of survived on the big once a week crowd. But we’re league 3 and couldn’t hope to fill it on a regular basis. I’m chalking this up to our mad owner, smaller crowds have a knock on effect.
  • Flats, flats gotta have flats. Let’s destroy our heritage and countryside to build more fucking homes!!!!!
  • If we build them they will come. Why don't we just stop building?
  • Also The Valley.
  • edited August 2018

Also The Valley.

Spent Euro '96 in there