Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• edited September 2018
    As a sideline to our business, we obtain signed pictures of sports stars and enhance and frame them. What we have discovered doing this is certain people are very much in demand, and Hamilton and Froome, possibly our nation's greatest champions in recent years are far less so. It is quite interesting as it isn't people's opinions, but real. The two most popular sports stars seem to be Anthony Joshua and Harry Kane from this perspective!
  • So Muttley one black and one white person. Interesting.

I really like Joshua. But I like boxing. I’m fond of Kane, but only after this World Cup.

I have no interest in F1. I know who Hamilton is tho. But what I didn’t like is the poster earliers comment about it says more about them than him because they didn’t like Hamilton. What on earth?!

Why do we always have to worry if we say we’re not a fan of someone if they are mixed race or black. It’s not about that at all.

It’s really irritating.

• edited September 2018
    He’s a man who grew up with relatively little, financially, and has now become fabulously wealthy. You often find those who go from famine to feast are a bit more inclined to flaunt it when they’ve got it. Add into that the fact he clearly identifies with a lot of U.S. black culture, and some of his fashion choices and behaviour can come off a little showy. Not personally how I would do things in his position, but different strokes for different folks and all that. I certainly don’t think it is ever meant disrespectfully and enjoying the opportunities you have been afforded in life... well, hardly the crime of the century, in fact he’s living his best life so good on him.

Whenever I’ve heard him interviewed he’s actually come across pretty humble. I don’t think he’s lost sight of where he came from, and he’s always very quick to acknowledge the part the entire team plays in his wins by giving him a car good enough to win races and also the drivers - e.g. the part Bottas played yesterday.

Yes, for 3 seasons the Merc was way ahead of the rest, but last year and this there has been a much much smaller difference to the Ferrari. The main difference in results has been because of the decisions of the teams on the pit wall and the speed and calmness under pressure from the drivers. Hamilton has blown Vettel away on that second point.

His car was not dominant when he won his first world title at McClaren either, so only 2 of his 4 titles have come in clearly the fastest car.
  • Curb_It said:

So Muttley one black and one white person. Interesting.

I really like Joshua. But I like boxing. I’m fond of Kane, but only after this World Cup.

I have no interest in F1. I know who Hamilton is tho. But what I didn’t like is the poster earliers comment about it says more about them than him because they didn’t like Hamilton. What on earth?!

Why do we always have to worry if we say we’re not a fan of someone if they are mixed race or black. It’s not about that at all.

It’s really irritating.

I think that you may be referring to my post. I don't remember mentioning anything about colour.
    My post related to the fact that a couple of people said that they did not like Hamilton but could not actually find a reason to dislike him.
  • Curb_It said:

It’s really irritating.

Curb_It said:

It’s really irritating.

Curb_It said:

It’s really irritating.

Curb_It said:

It’s really irritating.

Curb_It said:

It’s really irritating.

Don’t think it had anything to do with race Bren.
  • As a sideline to our business, we obtain signed pictures of sports stars and enhance and frame them. What we have discovered doing this is certain people are very much in demand, and Hamilton and Froome, possibly our nation's greatest champions in recent years are far less so. It is quite interesting as it isn't people's opinions, but real. The two most popular sports stars seem to be Anthony Joshua and Harry Kane from this perspective!

Could it be because they both represent minority sports? Are any F1 / Cycling stars popular within your business?
  • Wiggins was popular - in terms of F1, don't know. A valid point though!
  • There are approx 20 drivers in F1 and the majority are not driving competitive cars - however good Hamilton is given how limited access is to this 'sport' you can't really compare him to sportsmen in traditional sports.

The 20 drivers in F1 are, essentially, the top 20 ranked 'players' or 'competitors' in the Formula series. Very much like the top 20 in any other sport, except that those top 20 change at the end of the season as opposed to throughout the season, based on individual races/results.

It works like the football pyramid so it's not really fair to say it's not comparable.

There's more than 1700 ranked tennis players (that's as far as I got down the ATP rankings before giving up). How many of them have adequate facilities and/or opportunities that would allow them to be competitive? The same could be said for developing footballers in that the those that have benefitted from excellent facilities will have a better chance of 'making it' than those that don't.
    I don't see many African formula 1 drivers
    Jody Scheckter
    Peter de Klerk
    Eddie Keizan
    Jackie Pretorius
    Paddy Driver
    Ernie Pieterse
    Basil van Rooyen
    Doug Serrurier
    Trevor Blokdyk
    Luki Botha
    Mike Harris
    Bruce Johnstone
    Neville Lederle
    Brausch Niemann
    Guy Tunmer
    Gary Hocking
    John Love (racing driver)
    Clive Puzey
    Ray Reed
    Sam Tingle
    Robert La Caze
  • Addickted said:

There are approx 20 drivers in F1 and the majority are not driving competitive cars - however good Hamilton is given how limited access is to this 'sport' you can't really compare him to sportsmen in traditional sports.

The 20 drivers in F1 are, essentially, the top 20 ranked 'players' or 'competitors' in the Formula series. Very much like the top 20 in any other sport, except that those top 20 change at the end of the season as opposed to throughout the season, based on individual races/results.

It works like the football pyramid so it's not really fair to say it's not comparable.

There's more than 1700 ranked tennis players (that's as far as I got down the ATP rankings before giving up). How many of them have adequate facilities and/or opportunities that would allow them to be competitive? The same could be said for developing footballers in that the those that have benefitted from excellent facilities will have a better chance of 'making it' than those that don't.
    Jody Scheckter
    Peter de Klerk
    Eddie Keizan
    Jackie Pretorius
    Paddy Driver
    Ernie Pieterse
    Basil van Rooyen
    Doug Serrurier
    Trevor Blokdyk
    Luki Botha
    Mike Harris
    Bruce Johnstone
    Neville Lederle
    Brausch Niemann
    Guy Tunmer
    Gary Hocking
    Clive Puzey
    Ray Reed
    Sam Tingle
    Robert La Caze
    Don't forget the potential of Axcil Jeffries, who may well be on the scene in the not too distant future.
  • Not got the ride just yet though
  • Sponsored links:

• Curb_It said:

It’s really irritating.

I think that you may be referring to my post. I don't remember mentioning anything about colour.
    My post related to the fact that a couple of people said that they did not like Hamilton but could not actually find a reason to dislike him.
    You may not have mentioned it but that’s unfortunately how I read it.

• I still hope this thread turns into a discussion about what your favourite songs are from the show, far more interesting.
  • edited September 2018
    Addickted said:

There are approx 20 drivers in F1 and the majority are not driving competitive cars - however good Hamilton is given how limited access is to this 'sport' you can't really compare him to sportsmen in traditional sports.

Jody Scheckter
    Peter de Klerk
    Eddie Keizan
    Jackie Pretorius
    Paddy Driver
    Ernie Pieterse
    Basil van Rooyen
    Doug Serrurier
    Trevor Blokdyk
    Luki Botha
    Mike Harris
    Bruce Johnstone
    Neville Lederle
    Brausch Niemann
    Guy Tunmer
    Gary Hocking
    Clive Puzey
    Ray Reed
    Sam Tingle
    Robert La Caze
    From impoverished backgrounds? Black?

Somebody was comparing football to F1 - one of the 'sports' seems much easier to get into. Presumably now somebody will tell me that F1 is more diverse than football and anyone can get into it.
  • Addickted said:

Jody Scheckter
    Peter de Klerk
    Eddie Keizan
    Jackie Pretorius
    Paddy Driver
    Ernie Pieterse
    Basil van Rooyen
    Doug Serrurier
    Trevor Blokdyk
    Luki Botha
    Mike Harris
    Bruce Johnstone
    Neville Lederle
    Brausch Niemann
    Guy Tunmer
    Gary Hocking
    Clive Puzey
    Ray Reed
    Sam Tingle
    Robert La Caze

Somebody was comparing football to F1 - one of the 'sports' seems much easier to get into. Presumably now somebody will tell me that F1 is more diverse than football and anyone can get into it.
    Hiya, 'somebody' here.

Not sure why you seem so bum bruised over it all to be honest.

You've gone from African to impoverished and then to black as those you're seeking to prove as not having access to the sport. Race is an indeterminable factor as it's more about the infrastructure and opportunities being in place in the countries you mention.
  • Addickted said:

Jody Scheckter
    Peter de Klerk
    Eddie Keizan
    Jackie Pretorius
    Paddy Driver
    Ernie Pieterse
    Basil van Rooyen
    Doug Serrurier
    Trevor Blokdyk
    Luki Botha
    Mike Harris
    Bruce Johnstone
    Neville Lederle
    Brausch Niemann
    Guy Tunmer
    Gary Hocking
    Clive Puzey
    Ray Reed
    Sam Tingle
    Robert La Caze

You suggested that there were minimal African Formula 1 drivers. My point is that you were incorrect in your assumption.

Why are there no blind Formula 1 drivers? Or very few women?

You are aware Hamilton is black?

• What a lap Hamilton did today. Absolutely jaw dropping!
  • Great lap. I know they have the same amount of titles but Hamilton is a class above Vettel when it matters imo.

Watch him crash first corner tomorrow now
  • Mercedes much closer to Ferrari than expected but still, that was some lap. One of his very best.
  • Great lap. I know they have the same amount of titles but Hamilton is a class above Vettel when it matters imo.

Watch him crash first corner tomorrow now

He bloody better not because I'll be sitting there watching live!

To any GP fans, get Singapore on your list. Absolutely amazing circuit / event/ entertainment / booze. Just back in - surreal to watch Liam Gallagher live, then cut to that qualifying, then The Killers. All with stunning backdrop of the city. Then a 15 minute walk back to our apartment.
  • I know there are a few on here that have historically been very negative about him (pro Rosberg, pro Ferrari etc) but I think every F1 fan will at present class him as the greatest of this generation.

Guy is simply out of this world behind an F1 car
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2018
    Vertsappen is the joker in the pack. He knows that both Hamilton and Vettel can't afford to lose points and will be more willing to take risks. Who this is bad news for will depend on the start. At this stage of the season it is more important for Hamilton to finish in front of Vettel and I'm sure he knows that and won't take any risks.
  • Not a great race - but Hamilton was peerless.

You only have to look at the relative performance of Bottas in the same car.........

That lap in qualy was Championship worthy
  • Can't see how people think he's unlikeable, although I understand it's all opinions.

Always so modest and humble, while heaping praise on his team and constantly being thankful for the support he's been given.

Top bloke, top driver, top champion.

And he's piped Nicole Scherzinger
  • Faultless drive and a massive step to his 5th WC.
  • edited September 2018
    Boring race but the pressure of the points on the board forced Ferrari into a mistake that cost them more points. As they said on the TV, Ferrari should have won all of the last four races but they haven't won one of them. Strangely, that is what still gives them a chance, they have marginally the best car, but Hamilton has found a gear that nobody else has. If he can get to the same points lead or larger with four rounds to go, that ought to be it as long as there are no mechanical issues.
  • Can't see how people think he's unlikeable, although I understand it's all opinions.

Always so modest and humble, while heaping praise on his team and constantly being thankful for the support he's been given.

Top bloke, top driver, top champion.

Take a look at his latest Instagram post - a video of him just chatting to the camera in the aftemath of today’s victory.

He comes across so well - and at times you can see the young child who was karting at age 8 and can’t quite believe where they have ended up in life.

I can’t quite believe how humble he is. I’m not ashamed to admit I would have bloody loved his life when I was young and single. Private jets, supermodels, parties, jet setting, supercars.

And just rocks up at the race against loads of drivers who have spent the last fortnight training. And blows them into the weeds.

Total legend
  • Unless he has a retirement it's unlikely Vettel will catch him. Pulling out that lap yesterday, the overtake on Vettel at Monza and Vettel binning it into the wall in Germany are the pivotal moments in the season.
  • Unless he has a retirement it's unlikely Vettel will catch him. Pulling out that lap yesterday, the overtake on Vettel at Monza and Vettel binning it into the wall in Germany are the pivotal moments in the season.

And maybe Bottas getting that puncture on the last lap in Baku.

All 3 you mention though are down to driver skill. Received wisdom seems to be that Ferrari have the slightly better car, but to all intents and purposes the Merc and Ferrari are about equal. The reason Hamilton is so far ahead of Vettel is partly better strategic calls made by his team and substantially because he has been able to pull out big moments and avoid big mistakes when it really matters.

I'd be amazed if he doesn't win the Championship from here and he'll fully deserve it.
  • edited September 2018
    The Ferrari isn't miles ahead and work is required to maximise the potential the car offers. They still have to get everything aligning. I think you are right about the big moments. The qualifying lap was the big moment of this race - it came out of nowhere and that is the signature of a great driver. Ferrari seems to be under too much pressure, You can feel they are under pressure to make things happen whereas Hamilton has the luxury of being able to be careful..

Vettel has made costly mistakes this season and that is why they are under pressure. He crashed out in Germany when winning which turned plus 7 points into -25 in one race. That is a 32 point swing which is nearly the current gap. Then you look at Vettel's error in France in which he ended up 5th - that is a loss of 15 points and a race which Hamilton won. So the swing there was probably Hamilton's 10 point gain over him rather than the 10 pount gain Vettel would have had - 20 points. And another error in Azerbaijan where Hamilton won and Vettel came 4th so nearly as big a gain. Monza saw Ferrari have both cars at the front after qualifying. Vettel had the faster car and could have let Hamilton take second place at the start and pick him off later. More points lost. Basically, take those errors out, and I mean Vettel errors, not the team errors and he would have a comfortable lead.

But if Vettel wins the last six races in the fastest car he wins the championship so can't be written off. The issue is that Ferrari have lost points in circuits that clearly favour them and circuits coming up probably don't give them the same advantage. So whilst I wouldn't be surprised if the gap closes, It is clearly Hamilton's title to lose. Vettel has probably done enough to lose it in the same way Hamilton has done enough to win it!