Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

When Charlton let go of the non-league Messi

Comments

• Not sure that really applies to Oztumer. He was released because he was too short.
  • As ForeverAddickted is sort of alluding too, we had just been relegated from the Prem when Oztumer was released. Yes 11 years on he is a half-decent Champ player but that's all hindsight because we are now a League 1 side.
  • Uchechi has had a surprising career and hasnt fallen into obscurity like the others... Currently playing at Conference South level
  • PaddyP17 said:

Not really as its taken him 11-years from being released to get back to the level that we were at in 2007

Its the irritating falsity of these articles because there are countless players who have the wrong attitude or whatever as youngsters and so get released... that will then tend to wake them up to the stark reality and either give them the warning that they risk ending their Footballing career before its began or buck their ideas up, the FA Cup has proven that the latter happens plenty of times

Michael Turner is another example who we decided to sell and at one stage played at a level higher than Charlton, we werent wrong to let him go because at the time he didnt stand a chance of getting into our Defence

Absolutely. @seth plum happened to run the Crown Woods football team when Michael Turner was playing for them. (NB it was a ridiculously talented football team - they used to win everything in sight pretty much, I'm told)

He knew that Michael wouldn't make it to his footballing peak until he was about 25 or 26, which was when Hull were in the Prem and we were in the Championship (2008 or so).

This is just what happens when you're in the Prem. Players are let go and then they trickle down the leagues. Some eventually bounce back up, but honestly, who can tell me what Tamer Tuna, Alex Stavrinou, Danny Uchechi, Rashid Yussuff, Tamer Tuna, Freddie Warren, or whoever are doing these days?

(And yes, I had to look up those names, and the above are just players who carried on playing football after we let them go. Academy players are a percentage equation. It's just the way it is.)
    I was surprised Adam Cottrell never kicked on, he had a high opinion of himself but regardless of what I think of him I rated him as a footballer and saw him as a destructive midfielder rather than a right back, his mate Barry Fuller who was always a centre midfielder with us has made a respectable pro career at full back

Danny Phillips was one who would never kick on due to his size, he was so small and a cross field pass looked like it took everything he had to hit.

It's all academic as others have said, we can't keep everyone on a contract and the ones who went off and climbed back I've got nothing but respect for, Danny Green and Lawrie Wilson especially

If we had Chelseas budget we could keep all of them and loan them out forever more waiting for them to eventually come good and someone buy them, but we don't and never had that sort of money

Charlie MacDonald was another who I was sad to see go and he had a very decent career at the level we currently find ourselves

• Carter said:

PaddyP17 said:

Not really as its taken him 11-years from being released to get back to the level that we were at in 2007

Its the irritating falsity of these articles because there are countless players who have the wrong attitude or whatever as youngsters and so get released... that will then tend to wake them up to the stark reality and either give them the warning that they risk ending their Footballing career before its began or buck their ideas up, the FA Cup has proven that the latter happens plenty of times

Michael Turner is another example who we decided to sell and at one stage played at a level higher than Charlton, we werent wrong to let him go because at the time he didnt stand a chance of getting into our Defence

Absolutely. @seth plum happened to run the Crown Woods football team when Michael Turner was playing for them. (NB it was a ridiculously talented football team - they used to win everything in sight pretty much, I'm told)

He knew that Michael wouldn't make it to his footballing peak until he was about 25 or 26, which was when Hull were in the Prem and we were in the Championship (2008 or so).

This is just what happens when you're in the Prem. Players are let go and then they trickle down the leagues. Some eventually bounce back up, but honestly, who can tell me what Tamer Tuna, Alex Stavrinou, Danny Uchechi, Rashid Yussuff, Tamer Tuna, Freddie Warren, or whoever are doing these days?

(And yes, I had to look up those names, and the above are just players who carried on playing football after we let them go. Academy players are a percentage equation. It's just the way it is.)
    I was surprised Adam Cottrell never kicked on, he had a high opinion of himself but regardless of what I think of him I rated him as a footballer and saw him as a destructive midfielder rather than a right back, his mate Barry Fuller who was always a centre midfielder with us has made a respectable pro career at full back

Danny Phillips was one who would never kick on due to his size, he was so small and a cross field pass looked like it took everything he had to hit.

It's all academic as others have said, we can't keep everyone on a contract and the ones who went off and climbed back I've got nothing but respect for, Danny Green and Lawrie Wilson especially

If we had Chelseas budget we could keep all of them and loan them out forever more waiting for them to eventually come good and someone buy them, but we don't and never had that sort of money

Charlie MacDonald was another who I was sad to see go and he had a very decent career at the level we currently find ourselves

Lovely bloke and fit as a fiddle when at Greenwich Borough past few years. Woutdoor walk into our team now had he come through now.
  • edited September 2018
    Grr.... another one we let go...
    Matt Elliott
    Richard Gough
    Zzzzzzzzzz

Honestly, it's like Groundhog Day ......... "they say we're young and we don't know, won't find out until we grow....."
  • Sponsored links:

• I did the interview, don't think it was anything to do with attitude. Oztumer clearly extremely driven and upset to be let go by Charlton at 16, was told it was because of his height and physicality. Turns out he's technically good enough for that not to matter. Some degree of hindsight, but goes to show bigger isn't always better in football.

Nice piece, Will.

Erhun was a joy to watch at Dulwich. Seeing him come back to watch his old team in the playoffs said a lot about him too. I thought it was a shame we let him go, but I'm glad it worked out for him (and Dulwich).
  • Bradley Dack was let go at 14 for being on the small size I think
  • Vincenzo said:

Not sure that really applies to Oztumer. He was released because he was too short.

Players improve, I doubt he’d have been ready for Prem/Championship football when he was a teenager.
  • Scoham said:

Vincenzo said:

Not sure that really applies to Oztumer. He was released because he was too short.

Players improve, I doubt he’d have been ready for Prem/Championship football when he was a teenager.
    Interesting that he's a year older than Shelvey and a year younger than Wagstaff..

Was of course let go the year before both made their debuts against Barnsley
  • Vincenzo said:

It is my honest opinion anyone under 5 foot 6 should not be allowed to post on this forum .
    Shorties out.
    Randy Newman has already expressed that particular viewpoint most forcefully in his song "Short People".
  • Bradley Dack was let go at 14 for being on the small size I think

Chris Solly was let go by Arsenal for, erm ..... being too small.

• The player I was surprised we let go was Linvoy Primus, who looked very good when he made his debut on one of the televised games. I imagine that if we had more money at the time we'd have kept him
  • The player I was surprised we let go was Linvoy Primus, who looked very good when he made his debut on one of the televised games. I imagine that if we had more money at the time we'd have kept him

We later had him on loan from Portsmouth, totally unfit but by the time the loan was over he was fit enough to play for his parent club.
  • If we'd had the real Messi we probably would also have let him go for being too small. But then it is as much to do with the style of football as it is with size. For example, at the other end of the spectrum, as good a touch as he had as a youngster, Crouch would have been released by Barcelona because he would have been considered too slow to adapt.

I would like to think that things are changing now although we will never ever see a 5' 6'' keeper in the PL.
  • Sponsored links:

• Halix said:

PaddyP17 said:

Bit suprised you didnt include Tamer Tuna in your list!.
    I lost count the number of times that Parkinson had Tamer on the bench and didn't use him. So much so that, in the Championship he played the grand total of 26 minutes as well as his only start and goal in the JP Trophy game against Barnet.

Can't find anything about Tamer now so assume that he's given up football.
  • Halix said:

PaddyP17 said:

Bit suprised you didnt include Tamer Tuna in your list!.
    I lost count the number of times that Parkinson had Tamer on the bench and didn't use him. So much so that, in the Championship he played the grand total of 26 minutes as well as his only start and goal in the JP Trophy game against Barnet.

Can't find anything about Tamer now so assume that he's given up football.
    Didnt someone say he was working for David Lloyd Leisure in Sidcup a few years ago?
  • iaitch said:

The player I was surprised we let go was Linvoy Primus, who looked very good when he made his debut on one of the televised games. I imagine that if we had more money at the time we'd have kept him

We later had him on loan from Portsmouth, totally unfit but by the time the loan was over he was fit enough to play for his parent club.
    By that stage he'd played in the PL for 4 years before a serious injury.

Decent bloke too, not many of our ex players have an MBE!
  • Guys can anyone tell me what Tamer Tuna is doing these days :neutral:
  • He now trains fish Tamer Tuna is a Tuna Tamer.