Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Craig Bellamy

On Sky they have him down today as ex City and Liverpool.
Obviously true but........

Comments

• edited October 2018

What ever happened to him. He was an ecologist in the 80s long before it was trendy. He was a fixture on blue Peter, then nothing.

He questioned whether the prevailing orthodoxy that climate change is man made rather than natural is correct.

That was the end of him on the unbiased balanced BBC.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/david-bellamy-i-was-shunned-they-didnt-want-to-hear-8449307.html
  • What ever happened to him. He was an ecologist in the 80s long before it was trendy. He was a fixture on blue Peter, then nothing.

Lenny Henry did a better bellamy than bellamy himself. He was last seen trawling the pubs & clubs of the northern circuit looking for a gig.
  • What ever happened to him. He was an ecologist in the 80s long before it was trendy. He was a fixture on blue Peter, then nothing.

Lenny Henry did a better bellamy than bellamy himself. He was last seen trawling the pubs & clubs of the northern circuit looking for a gig.
    Who, Bellamy, Bellamy or Henry?
  • iainment said:

On Sky they have him down today as ex City and Liverpool.
    Obviously true but........

They probably didn't have time to mention all his clubs.
  • think he's a top pundit and not afraid to say it how it is.
  • Would have loved for him to play for us as a player, sort of player you’d hate to play against, but would love him on your side, winding up the opposition.
  • No real difference to when Sky had Darren Bent doing the punditry in the studio for the Sunderland v Charlton game then
  • Sponsored links:

• Would have loved for him to play for us as a player, sort of player you’d hate to play against, but would love him on your side, winding up the opposition.

I have to say I always liked bellamy as a player, lightning quick and would wind up the opposition and would never give up.

Wonder how he'd have felt playing alongside Jonatan Johansson? ;)
  • iainment said:

My point being he has no current connection with either club and it's pointless him being there if that old connection is the reason.

Very rare that any of the pundits that Sky/BT/Whoever have on have any current connection, unless they're out injured and looking to get into TV work.

The norm is for ex-players of the teams involved and in Bellamy, they covered off both sides.
  • TelMc32 said:

iainment said:

My point being he has no current connection with either club and it's pointless him being there if that old connection is the reason.

Very rare that any of the pundits that Sky/BT/Whoever have on have any current connection, unless they're out injured and looking to get into TV work.

The norm is for ex-players of the teams involved and in Bellamy, they covered off both sides.
    It's rare to have a pundit with a genuine connection to both clubs, as opposed to someone who just played a few games for one of them.

If we played Liverpool and John Barnes was used, yes he played for both clubs, but there's a massive difference between being a bit part player for us and a legend for them
  • Why would anyone feel like they need a former player of a club involved in a particular match to provide the analysis? Surely them being able to analyse and articulate the game is more important? I actually think former players are over used full stop and it would be better to have more genuine journalists providing analysis.
  • se9addick said:

Why would anyone feel like they need a former player of a club involved in a particular match to provide the analysis? Surely them being able to analyse and articulate the game is more important? I actually think former players are over used full stop and it would be better to have more genuine journalists providing analysis.

Some are far better than others - ex-players & journalists both. I think Bellamy is pretty decent.
  • Sponsored links:

• TelMc32 said:

se9addick said:

Why would anyone feel like they need a former player of a club involved in a particular match to provide the analysis? Surely them being able to analyse and articulate the game is more important? I actually think former players are over used full stop and it would be better to have more genuine journalists providing analysis.

Some are far better than others - ex-players & journalists both. I think Bellamy is pretty decent.
    I actually agree - I like Souness too. Just think a lot are tosh and are only picked because they are a former player when that should just be an added bonus with their ability to articulate the sport being the primary consideration.
  • I've managed to avoid all punditry this season. It's so much better to not have to listen to these professional noise machines prattle on abot nothing just to pad out a 90 minute spectacle into a never-ending loop of nothingness. Except of course, Sky now broadcast Jamie Redknapp's inane drivel into my ears during the game. So now I have to mute the TV intermittently.
  • Same here, turn on the tv one minute to kick off to get the line ups, halftime go and make a cup of tea, full time turn the tv off, job done.

Sky have also got into having two co commentators like BT.

The combination on BT that does my head in is Steve 'can my voice get any squeakier' Mcmanaman and Glenda Hoddle.
  • Wasn't worth the wait.
  • Was he not a golfer?
  • iaitch said:

Same here, turn on the tv one minute to kick off to get the line ups, halftime go and make a cup of tea, full time turn the tv off, job done.

Pretty similar. Can’t be doing with the 90 minute build-up and 60 minute dissection. Have been away and seen a few games shown on BEIN Sports in last couple of weeks. Keys & Gray are, if it was possible, getting even worse in their old age. Can’t see any of the broadcasters reining it in though...they all love the sound of their own voices.

Would be (vaguely) interesting to see what percentage of viewers turn on/off just for the game that’s on.
  • https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58538941

Former Wales and Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy has left his role as Anderlecht assistant manager to deal with depression.

The 42-year-old spoke about his mental health in 2020 and said he had had the condition since his playing days.

In a statement Anderlecht said Bellamy's mental health problems "have resurfaced again recently".

They added he "took a very difficult, but absolutely necessary decision concerning his health" to leave.

Anderlecht added: "Bellamy said goodbye to the players in the dressing room on Sunday afternoon after the 7-2 victory against KV Mechelen."

He joined Anderlecht as the club's under-21 coach in 2019 and moved to being an assistant to former Manchester City team-mate Vincent Kompany earlier this year.

Anderlecht added: "His experience as a striker in the Premier League and his drive took our young squad to a higher level.

"Both coach Vincent Kompany and director of sports Peter Verbeke want to thank Bellamy explicitly for his efforts and show great understanding for Bellamy's brave decision."

Verbeke said: "The enormous energy Craig has given us all is priceless. It is therefore logical that we must give him all the time and rest he needs. The whole club stands firmly behind him in this difficult period."

Bellamy revealed in May 2020 that he had been diagnosed with depression and been taking medication for three years, adding that injuries had made his condition worse.

"During my career my depression was worse, way worse, the emotional side… I'd come home and wouldn't speak for three days," he said in an interview with Sky Sports.

"I had a wife, young family and I literally wouldn't talk. I would shut myself away in a room and then I would go to bed on my own. That was the only way I could deal with depression."

• Very sad to hear - an awful illness.