Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Choosing a School - advice required

I am in a really weird quandary and could do with a spot of assistance.

We have recently viewed a handful of schools for our daughter for next year when she goes to secondary school. We need to indicate 4 choices in order of preference.

We cannot decide between the first 2 - both in Maidstone. Our daughter prefers School 1 whereas me and her mum prefer School 2. Both school have had a open day this week which we have attended with our daughter - where they have done a lesson, headmistress talks and a tour of the school.

Our daughter cannot explain why she prefers school 1 - she just feels more comfortable there, We attended an evening there late last year and she's loved it since then so the visit this week just reaffirmed this.
I prefer school 2 because it has a smarter uniform, the school itself was newer, cleaner and more polished and I just get the impression it is just that bit better as a school. But does this matter in the grand scheme of things?

The grades at School 2 are fractionally better but both are well above average so I'm not that concerned about that.

The students we met were all polite, held doors open and on best behaviour etc which is important to us.

Neither school has any/many kids from her current school or from where we live so that's not really a factor. Neither is it a concern for our daughter.

The question is - which do we put as her first choice? do we go with daughter's preference or do we pull rank based on our experience and opinion?

Are am I blowing this out of proportion?

AAAarrrrggghhhhhh - help! Anyone else been in this position?

Comments

• Options

On the basis that you've said the schools are comparable, I'd definitely go with my daughter's choice.
    She is more likely to flourish in a school she is comfortable with and wants to be at.
    It's a no brainer, unless there are good reasons to go against her wishes, which you haven't told us.

I think we may just be overthinking things.

I guess I just want what’s best for her and am more inclined to trust my gut feeling than hers - rightly or wrongly

• Options
    Go with your daughter’s choice. It’ll be a difficult enough time for her adjusting to the step up, so make it as stress free as you can for her.
  • Options
    What is the tradition of each school like?

How far is the school from home? Is one a more difficult journey than the other for her?

How good is the school over time? Not just last summer.

What do they offer beyond the classroom? Will she get to go on trips, play sports, music or is the school just an exam factory?

What are your daughter's strengths/interests and which school caters best for them?

Was the headteacher convincing?

Why does your daughter want to go there?

Which school has the best reputation over time in the local area?

If state, are you sure you are safely in the catchment area for both?

• Options
    Swisdom said:

On the basis that you've said the schools are comparable, I'd definitely go with my daughter's choice.
    She is more likely to flourish in a school she is comfortable with and wants to be at.
    It's a no brainer, unless there are good reasons to go against her wishes, which you haven't told us.

I think we may just be overthinking things.

I guess I just want what’s best for her and am more inclined to trust my gut feeling than hers - rightly or wrongly

If there is virtually nothing to choose between the schools (you said), what's best for her is the school she prefers.
  • Options
    I’m not looking forward to this myself I hasten to add
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I understand the "wanting the best for her" parental imperative, but here's the thing. You don't go there, you don't have to manage the schools strengths & weaknesses on the daily basis.

She will make her own way in the world and it will be to a significant extend because of the example you have set her as you have brought her up. Trusting her to make this decision is part of that. She may be picking marginally the less decent school but it will be her decision - that's the key for her future development. What more important in my view is that you support her decision positively.

I hear what your saying Bing, but she needs to make an informed decision. Swisdom has not said why his daughter wants to go to the school she has chosen. She is only 10!!!! Her choice could be based on any number of reasons. It is a huge decision.

If she is good at sports for instance, then she needs to pick the school that has a vibrant sports department with potentially overseas tours. Likewise, if she is a promising violinist then she needs to go to the school that values and promotes the arts.

The main thing is to get her to think about it properly and thoroughly. In doing so the right decision will then be reached.
  • Options
    If it is a straight choice between her gut feeling and yours, go with hers.

To pull rank here could create a resentment that gets worse and damages her enjoyment and what she gets from school.

If you can actively differentiate otherwise I would say go with that.
  • Options
    I think either way, she'll get along fine, kids adapt well, make friends etc. On that basis, why not go with her favourite?
  • Options
    Thanks all. I was tempted to just let it be her decision but just had a nagging feeling that “Daddy knows best”.

She’s not especially sporty - more performing arts and both schools were strong for this.

Where we live we are surrounded by some superb schools - though none are on our doorstep so the catchment thing is a slight concern. The catchment also features 2 schools that aren’t good at all so don’t want it to riskAs long as she gets one I’ll be happy. Had no idea this would be so stressful though!
  • Options
    Go for her choice.

Will probably get given your second choice anyway.
  • Options
    You’re not spending your formative years there, she is - go with her gut and not yours.
  • Options
    Nightmare time!

We went through all this a couple of years ago. There was a school I was adamant my boy wasn’t going to. That was before I’d actually walked round them ,chatted to teachers. I just had a good feel about it and although maybe not as academically brilliant as other local schools ( marginally) We thought it would suit him best.As luckily did my boy.
    Now into his second year and he loves it and is doing really well.
  • Options
    No question. Go with what your daughtet wants. She's the one who has to go there each & every day for at least 5 years. I can't imagine the grief you'd get if you chose the school you prefer & its goes pear shaped. Just not worth the aggro for what you have even said is a very close contest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think you should just let her know it’s down to the lap of the gods/ processing system etc what school is chosen by the authorities and that she could end up at any one of these nice good schools you’ve had a look at .
    You don’t wanna be making out it’s what she prefers just in case she doesn’t get that and the feeling of being let down cos it’s her number one choice .
    You are more clued up than a ten year old , I’d like to think so , imo as nice as it might be to be giving a 10 year old a choice to me the reality is you have more idea than she does .
    Kids adapt well and as you say if there’s nothin in it and it is a lottery then que sera sera
  • Options
    Go with what your Daughter wants. My youngest Son wanted to go to a particular school the summer before last, his mum and I vetoed it and went with the school we thought was best for him. It’s turned in to a nightmare - so much so that he absolutely dreads going..... we are actually at the point of getting him moved.
  • Options
    If your daughter is happy at school, she will flourish. What you don’t want is her going to the school you want, her not getting on and “it” being your fault.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    If i could turn back the clock, I would have let my son choose his secondary school. When his mother and I were looking, we looked at the stats, area, accessibility and all those sorts of things. My son wanted to go to Crown Woods because his best mate from primary school was going there but we, the parents who thought we knew best, wanted him to go to Hurstmere because of the location and at the time it was Ofsted rated outstanding. Biggest mistake of our lives. He went there as the only one from his primary school. Most of the kids in his year knew each other because they came from the local feeder school and despite the schools best efforts, he never settled and as a result, never really made that many friends, was bullied and the consequence was he bombed. So, my advice to you is to listen to what your daughter wants. After all, she needs to be happy and contented which will create the right environment to learn.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I can remember talking to a teacher I know when I was in the position of taking my kids around different schools, and asked him for advice on choosing schools.

He said to look at the age of the work that was on the classroom and also the quality of the work.

I made a point of doing this, and tried not to be blinded by flash facilities, that they’d spent big sums of dosh on.

Because I was so intent on looking at walls, one school noticeably had lots of posters on the walls saying they didn’t tolerate bullying and fighting, a good thing I thought, but it made me think there was a real problem at this school.

Thankfully they didn’t want to go there in the end, although I knew someone who had sent one of their kids there, and had been bullied, I tried to keep an open mind, but really hoped that wasn’t their choice.

Can you go back for a 2nd open day to the one you’re daughter really liked, just so she can 100% be sure?

Personally for me uniform would not be the overriding factor, but I can understand why you’d consider it.

Also what’s the travel time going to be like getting to the school, one of my kids left so early in the morning to get there when he got home he was absolutely exhausted and fell asleep when he got home!
  • Options
    Are both schools single sex @Swisdom ?

Pretty sure I know which two you are talking about and my step daughter is at her last year at one of them if you want to PM me.
  • Options
    I remember my folks giving me the choice of secondary school and I massively appreciated it.
  • Options
    Was it approved?