Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Third tier football in the 1960s

Hi all,

Thought this might be of interest to you. I have recently read this book that covers football in the third tier during the 1960s – not based on Charlton but a captivating story nonetheless.

What is so striking is how much things have changed in football – the money involved now, for example, is ridiculous.

Anyway here is a link with a bit more info for those that may be interested in this sort of stuff.

http://d3d4football.com/roy-bentleys-stationary-club-life-in-division-3-in-the-1960s/

Comments

• It is interesting to remember that before the play offs only the top two clubs were promoted from the then Divisions 2 and 3. We finished in what would later become a play off position three times during our stay in Division 2 after being relegated from Division 1 in 1957. In 1958, 1964 and 1969. I wonder what would have become of the club had we had been promoted in one of those seasons.
  • Mametz said:

It is interesting to remember that before the play offs only the top two clubs were promoted from the then Divisions 2 and 3. We finished in what would later become a play off position three times during our stay in Division 2 after being relegated from Division 1 in 1957. In 1958, 1964 and 1969. I wonder what would have become of the club had we had been promoted in one of those seasons.

That isn’t true. There was 3 up and 3 down for about 14 years before the play offs returned after about a 80 year gap.
  • Mametz said:

It is interesting to remember that before the play offs only the top two clubs were promoted from the then Divisions 2 and 3. We finished in what would later become a play off position three times during our stay in Division 2 after being relegated from Division 1 in 1957. In 1958, 1964 and 1969. I wonder what would have become of the club had we had been promoted in one of those seasons.

Mametz - sorry to correct you, but we came 4th in 1964. That was my immediate reaction (and just confirmed it) as that was the first season I attended every home game. Preston (who lost to West Ham in the cup final that year) came third.
  • Mametz said:

That isn’t true. There was 3 up and 3 down for about 14 years before the play offs returned after about a 80 year gap.
    You are, of course , right however it was 2up and 2 down in the period I was specifically referencing.
  • Mametz said:

Mametz - sorry to correct you, but we came 4th in 1964. That was my immediate reaction (and just confirmed it) as that was the first season I attended every home game. Preston (who lost to West Ham in the cup final that year) came third.
    He said "We finished in what would later become a play off position three times", and mentioned 1964. In 1964, if we finished fourth, that would have been a play off position in modern times. Where is he wrong?
  • Mametz said:

He said "We finished in what would later become a play off position three times", and mentioned 1964. In 1964, if we finished fourth, that would have been a play off position in modern times. Where is he wrong?
    Oh you are right. My bad. My apologies Mametz!
  • Mametz said:

We have all done it mate... :smiley:
  • Mametz said:

No worries.

63/64 was the season that I went to my first games. The final game of that season was a home game against the division champions Leeds who beat us 2-0. I remember Gary Sprake being shoulder charged into the net by, I think, Roy Mathews and my Dad being outraged that it was given as a foul!