Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hard to believe now...

Just 13 years ago we played Yeovil Town in the FA Cup at The Valley. No freebies, Trust handouts etc, the crowd of paying fans was 23,000.

Over 20,000 paying Charlton fans for a game against a team 3 leagues below us.

This season we’ve attracted home turnouts of 1,619 and 2,999.

I don’t think in my lifetime we will record crowds like that for games like that ever again.

Comments

• All a bit dark.

We've been in the shit before and come good. We'll do it again!
  • Just about scraped through if I remember :-)

3-2 was it?
  • BR3red said:

Just about scraped through if I remember :-)

3-2 was it?

Yep, John Terry’s brother Paul scored for them

Dean Kiely
    Matt Holland
    Francis Jeffers
    Bryan Hughes
    Luke Young
    Danny Murphy
    Shaun Bartlett
    Hermann Hreidarsson
    Jerome Thomas
    Talal El Karkouri
    Jonathan Fortune
    Subs
    Jonatan Johansson
    Paul Konchesky
    Jason Euell
    Dennis Rommedahl
    Stephan Andersen
  • Charlton manager Alan Curbishley:
    "They definitely gave us a fright. I think we could have made it easier for ourselves.
    "We are seventh in the Premiership and have been given a right test, so great credit to Yeovil.

"At half-time I steamed into the players and they came out, gave me the response and we raced into a 3-1 lead."
  • Don’t post that team ! ( well other than Jeffers :-) )

That is even more depressing after today :-(
  • Puts it all in perspective when you watch palace on the box just now.
    Painful to say it but they are light years ahead of us. We won't be troubling their like for a very long time...if ever.
  • Just 13 years ago we played Yeovil Town in the FA Cup at The Valley. No freebies, Trust handouts etc, the crowd of paying fans was 23,000.

I don’t think in my lifetime we will record crowds like that for games like that ever again.

We will if Roland continues as owner. In fact, it will become the norm.
  • I just realised that you meant crowds of 23,000!! Definitely not.
  • I don't even think this can be pinned on Roland.

Crowds in general outside of the Premier League are dipping everywhere whether it be league or cup.

Even if Roland hadn't darkened our doorstep I don't believe our crowds would be much higher than they are now.

I was at the Welling game today and the attendance was a shocking 404.
  • Sponsored links:

• If anything we've given ourselves more chance of beating Yeovil
  • I don't even think this can be pinned on Roland.

Crowds in general outside of the Premier League are dipping everywhere whether it be league or cup.

Even if Roland hadn't darkened our doorstep I don't believe our crowds would be much higher than they are now.

I was at the Welling game today and the attendance was a shocking 404.

This can probably be pinned on the over saturation of football on TV.
  • Charlton manager Alan Curbishley: "We are seventh in the Premiership

Will a Charlton manager ever utter those words from the top flight of English football .
    I don’t even think our great grandchildren will hear them.

We can’t even make it to the round where the big local clubs like palace and millwall are ffs

If we don’t get up this season we will have equalled our longest spell in 3rd tier football since we entered the football league and first got out of the third tier (something like that)

Sad times no matter how it’s dressed up
    Curbishley left us with a crap squad.
  • Just 13 years ago we played Yeovil Town in the FA Cup at The Valley. No freebies, Trust handouts etc, the crowd of paying fans was 23,000.

Errm, wouldn't like to bet on that. Let's just wait until FA Cup 1st round next season eh?
  • That's when we were angry and hungry...

And everybody, chairman, directors, players and fans were all proper Charlton.
  • addick05 said:

That's when we were angry and hungry...

Everybody, all the players were proper Charlton, take another look at the lineup.

Dean Kiely
    Matt Holland
    Francis Jeffers
    Bryan Hughes
    Luke Young
    Danny Murphy
    Shaun Bartlett
    Hermann Hreidarsson
    Jerome Thomas
    Talal El Karkouri
    Jonathan Fortune
    Subs
    Jonatan Johansson
    Paul Konchesky
    Jason Euell
    Dennis Rommedahl
    Stephan Andersen

Franny Jeffers
    Danny Murphy
    Bryan Hughes
    I wouldnt call any of those proper Charlton haha
  • Sponsored links:

We’re still angry!
  • addick05 said:

Everybody, all the players were proper Charlton, take another look at the lineup.

Dean Kiely
    Matt Holland
    Francis Jeffers
    Bryan Hughes
    Luke Young
    Danny Murphy
    Shaun Bartlett
    Hermann Hreidarsson
    Jerome Thomas
    Talal El Karkouri
    Jonathan Fortune
    Subs
    Jonatan Johansson
    Paul Konchesky
    Jason Euell
    Dennis Rommedahl
    Stephan Andersen

Franny Jeffers
    Danny Murphy
    Bryan Hughes
    Point taken but, most of those players gave 100% on the pitch; Deano, Matty Holland, Luke Young, Jason Euell etc.

• addick05 said:

Just 13 years ago we played Yeovil Town in the FA Cup at The Valley. No freebies, Trust handouts etc, the crowd of paying fans was 23,000.

Errm, wouldn't like to bet on that. Let's just wait until FA Cup 1st round next season eh?
    We won't be in the First Round as we are being promoted this season because we rested players a couple of days ago.
  • iaitch said:

addick05 said:

We won't be in the First Round as we are being promoted this season because we rested players a couple of days ago.
    I'll try and remember you said that next year in the car on the way to Bromley in the 1st round!

• addick05 said:

iaitch said:

addick05 said:

I'll try and remember you said that next year in the car on the way to Bromley in the 1st round!

Could be on the way to Bromley for a league game in not too long.
  • Really not to worried about premiership ,there are plenty of good clubs in the championship to ensure we get decent crowds and a good standard of football.
  • addick05 said:

addick05 said:

Dean Kiely
    Matt Holland
    Francis Jeffers
    Bryan Hughes
    Luke Young
    Danny Murphy
    Shaun Bartlett
    Hermann Hreidarsson
    Jerome Thomas
    Talal El Karkouri
    Jonathan Fortune
    Subs
    Jonatan Johansson
    Paul Konchesky
    Jason Euell
    Dennis Rommedahl
    Stephan Andersen

Franny Jeffers
    Danny Murphy
    Bryan Hughes
    Point taken but, most of those players gave 100% on the pitch; Deano, Matty Holland, Luke Young, Jason Euell etc.

I'd call all of:

Deano
    Matty Holland
    Hermann Hreidarsson
    Luke Young
    Jason Euell
    Jonathan Fortune
    Shaun Bartlett
    And
    Paul Konchesky

Proper Charlton... In that they bled for the club (Hermann on more than one occasion) they knew what it meant to play for this club, what it means to the fans.

We’re still angry!
    ..and I'm always hungry
    Probably need to try a plant based diet or if you are going to eat what you kill, become a better hunter :wink:

We’re still angry!
    ..and I'm always hungry
    Probably need to try a plant based diet or if you are going to eat what you kill, become a better hunter :wink:
    We had veg pasta tonight funnily enough, Mrs is having to spend a few cold hours in an outbuildings to think about her error