Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A little help

So yesterday I was playing football and I broke my arm. I am a self-employed electrician. I got really upset as I no longer will be getting paid and being this time of year. I've had a look online to see if I can claim anything whilst being off work. However it's all a bit too confusing online. Has anyone been in the same situation and have made a claim?

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Sorry to hear. Do you not have any form of insurance?
  • I had public liability however it only covers injury's at work. :(
  • Any way you can lie and say you did it at work or is it not that easy?
  • Have a read up on:

•Personal Independence Payment
    •Employment and Support Allowance

Not sure how it all works but believe you may have a case for both. You'll be assessed first, though, so may take a while.

Good luck.
  • Have a read up on:

Not sure how it all works but believe you may have a case for both. You'll be assessed first, though, so may take a while.

Good luck.

You will probably have to make a claim to Universal credit (which has replaced ESA and others). At the very least you should be able to get the Job seekers equivalent of one hundred and something a week. You may be able to be assessed for the ESA equivalent amount which would top that up - can't remember the rules.

Pretty sure you won't be able to get PIP as that is about giving support for the extra costs of a long term disability e.g. care costs or mobility costs.
  • Homeowners insurance covers personal injuries as long as your policy includes personal liability coverage, and most policies do. However, not every injury will be covered by your personal liability insurance.

Might be worth checking your policy.
  • Cheers for the help guys it's much appreciated. I've had a look at the universal credit scheme which looks like I qualify for however it's just still a bit too confusing so my best best probably contact someone from there, I currently live at home.... With my parents
  • If you have paid your NI contributions for the last 2 years, I believe you qualify for the following:
    - New style ESA if your area is a Universal credit area
    - If not, contribution based ESA
  • LenGlover said:
    Thank you Len,I've also just found out my team have an insurance as well so may be able to get a little bit of them
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2018

Have a read up on:

Good luck.

You will probably have to make a claim to Universal credit (which has replaced ESA and others). At the very least you should be able to get the Job seekers equivalent of one hundred and something a week. You may be able to be assessed for the ESA equivalent amount which would top that up - can't remember the rules.

Pretty sure you won't be able to get PIP as that is about giving support for the extra costs of a long term disability e.g. care costs or mobility costs.

Have a read up on:

Good luck.

this, BUT Universal Credit depends on where you live and if the 'roll out' has happened in your area .. this page is very good and you can check your entitlement .. good luck with the injury, not ideal for a 'manual worker'
    https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/eligibility
  • So yesterday I was playing football and I broke my arm. I am a self-employed electrician. I got really upset as I no longer will be getting paid and being this time of year. I've had a look online to see if I can claim anything whilst being off work. However it's all a bit too confusing online. Has anyone been in the same situation and have made a claim?

Any help would be appreciated

There's specific insurance out there for this - for future reference, hope your able to be sorted this time round.
  • Cheers lads much appreciated
  • @AdTheAddicK
    I can't help about claiming but i have some work needs doing when you're ready.