Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sister Wendy Beckett RIP

Comments

• Rip. Very enjoyable programs, and good friends with Delia Smith
  • This is why I have problems with RIP threads on here. She did nothing. She opinionated about art with no background to support her opinions. She got lucky, because she was a nun, and gave her opinion about art.
    It would be like me dissecting the Catholic Church. I am not of it, as she was not of the world, so my opinion would be moot.
    Nuns withdraw from the world and have an instructed view that is, in my opinion, worth less than a Millwall's fan opinion of Charlton.
  • edited December 2018
    iainment said:

This is why I have problems with RIP threads on here. She did nothing. She opinionated about art with no background to support her opinions. She got lucky, because she was a nun, and gave her opinion about art.
    It would be like me dissecting the Catholic Church. I am not of it, as she was not of the world, so my opinion would be moot.
    Nuns withdraw from the world and have an instructed view that is, in my opinion, worth less than a Millwall's fan opinion of Charlton.

I kind of agree but if the threads bother you that much, why just not open them?
  • edited December 2018
    iainment said:

This is why I have problems with RIP threads on here. She did nothing. She opinionated about art with no background to support her opinions. She got lucky, because she was a nun, and gave her opinion about art.

Only if the Millwall fan hadn’t a passion for and studied Charlton.

Very spiteful and actually ignorant post @iainment.

She may not of been of the art world but her dedication to study and her love of art gave her every right to pass opinion as much as anyone.

In fact isn’t that the whole point of art anyway. To stimulate the eye of the mind and to provoke an opinion.

RIP

• iainment said:

What a horrible and pointless post. If someone I don't hold in high esteem dies, I tend not to post on a thread commemorating their life. I think that's a policy you should follow.

RIP Sister Wendy and thank you for adding to the sum of human knowledge about art.
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:

Only if the Millwall fan hadn’t a passion for and studied Charlton.

Very spiteful and actually ignorant post @iainment.

She may not of been of the art world but her dedication to study and her love of art gave her every right to pass opinion as much as anyone.

In fact isn’t that the whole point of art anyway. To stimulate the eye of the mind and to provoke an opinion.

RIP

As you say a spiteful and ignorant post.

Art is for everyone and everyone can comment on it.

She never claimed any special insight even though much art has a religious basis.
  • I thought the general idea is that everyone has the right to view and have an opinion on works of art.
    You don’t have to be an ‘expert’ to do that.
  • I used to enjoy her show, I like getting other people's perspectives. Many art experts talk a load of pretentious shite, she didn't.