Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Level 3 Advanced Reporting Course

Until last night when Jake Forster-Caskey mentioned he'd completed his level one and two football scouting qualifications and was working towards his level 3 (making good use of his time injured imho) I never knew such courses existed.

I expect a few "what a waste of time, Curbs never went on a course, PC gone mad, I blame the EU" responses but i think it is fascinating.

I wonder what @Tutt-Tutt thinks

By coincidence there is a course at Sparrows Lane this weekend.

ADVANCED REPORTING

MATCH, TEAM AND INDIVIDUAL ANALYSIS

PFSA Level 3 Emblem

This PFSA Level 3 Advanced Reporting Course is NCFE accredited (National Awarding Body) and delves much deeper into reporting whilst embracing an array of technology.

Upcoming Dates: February 10th @ Charlton FC

Venue: Various locations including the UK and Overseas. 

The Level 3 course will provide you with the knowledge to:

• Complete a detailed match report
  • Discuss different types of match report analysis
  • Review different formations the opposition may use
  • Explain and produce a completed full team player report
  • Complete a detailed review of a teams strengths and weaknesses to beat and nullify the opposition
  • Demonstrate how to complete set play reviews, both attacking and defending
  • Review of computer software for recording set plays and writing report

Comments

• I've just done the Level 1 and 2 of this.  Pretty cheap and worth a look if it is something you are interested in.

The Level 3 is only available at weekends however it's usually held in Manchester at Hotel Football (something like that)

I'll be doing that later in the year
  • PS - Level 1 takes no more than a few hours and costs about £100 for the pair I think
  • Swisdom said:
    I've just done the Level 1 and 2 of this.  Pretty cheap and worth a look if it is something you are interested in.

The Level 3 is only available at weekends however it's usually held in Manchester at Hotel Football (something like that)

I'll be doing that later in the year
    Tell us more @Swisdom

What sort of people do the courses? How difficult are they? What's the test like.

Don't worry, I'm not going to do it but wondered what it's all about.
  • It was all done on my laptop - distance learning. Apologies I did the Introduction course and the Level 1 course

It talks about how they aim to regulate the scouting system alongside the EPPP (Elite Player Performance Plan). Also talk about the aims of the EPPP.   Some of the qualities you need to have as a person and some of the characteristics.  All the things you need to look at when scouting players - its not just about ability.  The qualities players should have depending on their positions.

Where to look, how to prepare, how to write a player report or a team report or a match report.

Read about Williams and Reilly 4 stages of talent development
    talent Identification Predictors (4 corner method or 5 multidimensional Properties of Talent Identification.

Relative Age Effect
    Physiques
    Psychological abilities
    Compensation levels for younger players snapped up and loads more

i learned 50% of academy players are released by 16 years of age but 10% of those still go on to turn professional.  A bit about the rules surrounding younger players and what you can and can't do.

Level 2 is a 2 day course and is £600 - thats the one where you stay at a hotel.

Interesting stuff to be fair - Scouting has always appealed to me so I've really enjoyed reading up on it @Henry Irving

• Thanks Steve, real eye opener for me.

Might look into the basic course for a bit of fun.

Good luck with the level two
  • I'd like to do that course, but won't because of the badge :wink: All a bit too 'wall for me.  I suppose it's meant to be an "English Lion" which is all a bit weird. 
  • Thanks Steve, real eye opener for me.

Might look into the basic course for a bit of fun.

Good luck with the level two
    There's more to it than I thought but still interesting stuff.

Also got an "introduction to being an intermediary" which is very interesting too.
  • edited February 2019
    This guy does scouting webinars and you can get paid for scouting at non league games once you’ve completed the course. 

https://langtoncoaching.wordpress.com/2015/06/23/webinar-how-to-scout-the-opposition/

He’s a UEFA A qualified coach and has been assistant manager at Welling United and Bromley (during their title winning season).  
  • Thanks @Brendan_O_Connell and @Tutt-Tutt I'll dig a bit deeper and might take you up on that 
  • Sponsored links:

• So @Tutt-Tutt do you think Jake Forster-Caskey has made a smart move in taking the course?
  • I've only ever heard good feedback about Hugo Langton's courses. However, the FA Talent ID courses are much cheaper if you want to test the water.

• edited February 2019
    Didn’t know that course was available, may look at that too! I’m up at St George’s in June doing the Talent Identification course, so may look into that after!

I know a scout who works for a London club, but based in the northwest, he is obviously away a lot of the time, travelling up and down the country and overseas. But it could be worth doing if anyone has spare time!
  • _nam11 said:
    Didn’t know that course was available, may look at that too! I’m up at St George’s in June doing the Talent Identification course, so may look into that after!

I know a scout who works for a London club, but based in the northwest, he is obviously away a lot of the time, travelling up and down the country and overseas. But it could be worth doing if anyone has spare time!
    Is that the Level 2? Was just looking up the FA courses and on the page it says "The basis of the course requires knowledge of the professional club's recruitment strategy that the learner currently scouts for, along with the ability to draw upon previous experience in the role.". 

That means you have to be currently working for a club to do it?
  • edited February 2019
    So @Tutt-Tutt do you think Jake Forster-Caskey has made a smart move in taking the course?

I think he is probably taking the course as part of an overall plan for a move into management when he stops playing. 

Opposition scouting has a number of different aspects to it and it's a case of how much detail you want from it. It's a question of knowing what to look for and how that matches up to what you are doing with your own team. 

I would guess that he is getting practical experience as well, and the club are sending him out to games, or alternatively he is going out independently. It's all very well learning the theory of how to do it, but you need to gain experience watching games and putting together reports. I was fortunate, I had some very good mentors who went through most of the aspects covered in the course details listed by Swisdom. I'm guessing that old school passing down of knowledge doesn't exist anymore. A couple of players from the 50's and managers from the 60's and 70's were brilliant with me. Les Shannon and Ron Suart.

So there is no harm in him taking as many courses as he can, in all aspects, including management and business courses as well as the football courses. Good for him.