Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lenovo OneKey recovery?

Every time windows 10 does one of its updates on my Lenovo laptop it normally us a ballache however normally just a case of waiting it out. 

However this time I'm stumped. 

Update notified last night so clicked update and shut down. Turned it on tonight and it's taking me straight to  "OneKey Recovery" rather than windows load screen.

2 options are 

1 Restore from initial backup. The system partition will be restored to the initial status.

2 Restore from user's backup. You can select an image to use to restore your system partition 

It caveats both saying "When you restore your system partition, all the data created after the selected restoration point is deleted if it wasn't backed up"

I am completely clueless about all this and concerned option 1 would delete all thousands of photos and documents. 

Any IT literate lifers got any advice at all please?

Comments

• Pretty sure option would will delete everything.

Optiom two will take you back to your latest 'restore point' my laptop creates these weekly but yours might be different.

Aso, I could be totally wrong, hopefully someone  smarter than me can give you some help.
    @Leroy Ambrose
  • Is he another of your Premier League stars of the future?

I hope his rehabilitation goes well.
  • edited February 2019
    Pretty sure option would will delete everything.

Optiom two will take you back to your latest 'restore point' my laptop creates these weekly but yours might be different.

Aso, I could be totally wrong, hopefully someone  smarter than me can give you some help.
    @Leroy Ambrose
    The bad news (and the possibly not quite as bad news...) 

Firstly, option one, as Stu says, will wipe everything and restore your system.

Option two will reinstall Windows but leave your data intact. However... You need to have made backups for this to work.... Or hope the system restore points are still working :#
  • Thanks Stu and Leroy. Yeah it's what I feared. Missus is devastated as thousands of pictures of the kids over past couple of years probably lost and I'm pretty gutted

My fault for not proactively backing it up of course but up to last night I'd assumed it automatically backed up each day/ week as a default as what windows 7 did (or perhaps I'd inadvertently set it up to do it).

Seems a pisstake that an update can do this.

There's an option to restore by selecting an image (choice of folders) on either C or D drive but that may as well be written in mandarin for all the sense it makes to me.

Will get an IT expert to have a look but not holding out much hope.

Cheers folks
  • edited February 2019
    If the contents are that important, and its just a windows update that did this, then you will be able to take the hdd out and recover the files by connecting it as a secondary disk to a pc with a working version of Windows (or Linux). If the disk itself is dead (which can't really be blamed on Windows, as hard drives die every now and then) you may still be able to recover files from it
  • Thanks mate, have someone who knows what they're doing having a butcher's tomorrow so feeling more optimistic today.

Thanks for the advice.