Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Break Dancing at the Paris Olympics 2024 ?

Break Dancing or Breaking as those of us that are down with the kids call it is being considered for the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris. It’s being said that it will make the games more “urban”. 

Anyone agree ?

personally if it’s granted Olympic status I will give up on ever bothering watching it again.

Comments

• Probably as athletic as the floor gymnastics. Some of the stuff the top level people can do is immense

No different to the gymnastic stuff with the ball and ribbon really 

Dunno what making something more urban is about though.  Boxing etc already in it 
  • Skateboarding
    Surfing
    Climbing

Also shortlisted yet still no Snooker or Darts
  • Skateboarding
    Surfing
    Climbing

Physical exertion involved in either of those things: Zero
  • Skateboarding
    Surfing
    Climbing

Same as Archery and all the shooting events but they all qualify.
  • Skateboarding
    Surfing
    Climbing

All of those "sports" should not be anywhere near the Olympics.
    There are many other "sports" already in I'd remove.
    Especially anything that uses marks for "style" or "artistic merit".
    I'd also say any sport that has it's own championships that are world ranked events - yes goodbye football, golf, and tennis.
    Bastardised sports should go too. Like rugby 7s.
    Also the original "sports" included for militaristic reasons. Goodbye shooting, equestrian "sports", modern pentathlon, biathlon etc.
    For me it should be back to the core sports. 
    But I'm an old fart who remembers the wonder of the games before they began to grow like Topsy.
  • Sport by my understanding is a physical activity - darts and snooker meet the criteria. 
  • edited February 2019
    Probably as athletic as the floor gymnastics. Some of the stuff the top level people can do is immense

No different to the gymnastic stuff with the ball and ribbon really 

Dunno what making something more urban is about though.  Boxing etc already in it 
    Love breakdancing, but keep it out of the Olympics. It’s not a sport, never has been. The clue’s in the name. It’s dancing. 
    Drop the rhythmic gymnastics while you’re at it. 

• Sponsored links:

• This sort of pastime that doesn't sit easily as a traditional athletic event, initially seems like a very odd thing to include in an Olympic games or Olympiad.  But that's me guilty of being the age I am and falling into the reactionary conservative trap beloved of so many keyboard and twatter warriors.
    Traditionally The Olympiads included competitions for all sorts of activity, physical and cerebral, not just the sporting, athletic games televised in the modern age.  Poetry at the olympics?  Yes indeed.  Cricket?  All sorts of stuff.
    I couldn't give a toss if breaking gets included as a demo or medal event.  If the IOC think it's a money spinner, or if the breaking lobby has despatched the correct inducements to the correct IOC officials, it'll be in.  So be it.  There's no obligation on anyone to watch is there? 
  • DRAddick said:
    As it's in France they should have Parkour. Even as a boring middle aged bloke I find it outstanding. Far more entertaining and athletic than floor gymnastics or bloody syncro swimming. 
    Watching it makes my dung button clench more than anything else. I've given up watching parkour fails on YouTube. As soon as I see a BMX rider or skateboarder go near a rail my testes end up near my kidneys and you couldn't get an American express card between the cheeks of my arse 
  • Better off , making it Morris Dancing !
  • Better off , making it Morris Dancing !
    Maybe without the blacking up bit. 
  • Are the Rock Steady Crew still going?

Crazy Legs would piss the gold if he wasn’t 60. 
  • Having participated in Archery for a long time until about 10 years ago, I DO consider it to be a sport.  I don't however think that break dancing should be included as an Olympic sport.
  • Having participated in Archery for a long time until about 10 years ago, I DO consider it to be a sport.  I don't however think that break dancing should be included as an Olympic sport.
    Bullseye 
  • edited February 2019
    Skateboarding
    Surfing
    Climbing

Same as Archery and all the shooting events but they all qualify.
    Agreed. Don't think they should be in there either

It's absolute bollocks that shooting is in the Olympics but Squash isn't.
  • No new sport that involves judges assessments should be allowed in.