Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football & War

I hope the Moderators don't mind me putting up this event but it hopefully will be of interest to supporters of all clubs. The Football & War project is organised by the University of Wolverhampton and examines the role of football in wartime, especially the two World Wars - the relationship between the military and football clubs in wartime, footballers who served in the military during both conflicts and the role of football in wartime Britain. Up until now, all of the seminar talks have taken place at the University but the organisers now wish to open these events up to a wider audience across the country. So, the first of these "on the road" talks will take place in the clubhouse at Dulwich Hamlet FC, Champion Hill, next Wednesday 27th March, starting at 7pm. It is a FREE event and supporters of all clubs who have an interest in football and military history are more than welcome to attend. The bar will be open (decent ales and ciders at £3.5 a pint) and food will also be available.

There will be five speakers in total - Jack McInroy (aka The Hamlet Historian) will be talking about Hussein Hegazi, the first African player to play in English football. Roger Deason will talk about Dulwich Hamlet 1914-1919 and I will be covering Dulwich Hamlet 1939-45. There will then be a short interval, after which we have two guest speakers - Tim Godden, the artist and illustrator (he has produced a portrait of Nobby Nightingale) will talk about "Footballers of The Great War - the Stories behind the Drawings" and Professor Gary Sheffield, the eminent military historian and author will talk about "Football, The British Army and The First World War." There will also be an opportunity for a Q&A at the end of the evening.

I think some of the guys from the CAFC Museum will be coming along - it promises to be a fascinating evening, so please feel free to come along.

Comments

• will see you there @Tom_Hovi looking forward to it
  • Sounds good.

Sheffield almost tells as good a tale as @SE7toSG3
  • Would love to go, is a ticket needed or can we just turn up?
  • follett said:
    Would love to go, is a ticket needed or can we just turn up?
    Hi, no tickets required, just rock up on the night. Would be great to see you. 
  • I've also now been informed by Alex from the University of Wolverhampton that Tony Robinson of the London Irish Rifles Museum at Camberwell is coming along to the event and will be bringing the original Loos Football with him from the Museum's collection. This is the ball that was kicked towards the German lines by soldiers of the Regiment at the Battle of Loos in 1915. A real piece of tangible football history.
  • Tom_Hovi said:
    I've also now been informed by Alex from the University of Wolverhampton that Tony Robinson of the London Irish Rifles Museum at Camberwell is coming along to the event and will be bringing the original Loos Football with him from the Museum's collection. This is the ball that was kicked towards the German lines by soldiers of the Regiment at the Battle of Loos in 1915. A real piece of tangible football history.
    And the one that appeared on the Valley pitch when we unveiled the club war memorial a few years back! 
  • SE7toSG3 said:
    Tom_Hovi said:
    I've also now been informed by Alex from the University of Wolverhampton that Tony Robinson of the London Irish Rifles Museum at Camberwell is coming along to the event and will be bringing the original Loos Football with him from the Museum's collection. This is the ball that was kicked towards the German lines by soldiers of the Regiment at the Battle of Loos in 1915. A real piece of tangible football history.
    And the one that appeared on the Valley pitch when we unveiled the club war memorial a few years back! 
    Was very proud to take it into the Keith Peacock suite that day.
  • SE7toSG3 said:
    Tom_Hovi said:
    I thought that was the same one but I wasn't 100 percent certain! 
    There was another football that was in the East Surrey Museum at Clandon Park but which was sadly destroyed by fire a few years back.
  • edited March 2019
    Yes that was one of the four Billy Neville's company of the 8th East Surreys kicked off with 1st July 16 at Montauban. 

This one used by the the London Irish Rifles, 47th London Division, appeared on 25 September 15 and is mentioned by Patrick McGill in his memoir 'The Big Push'. 

It was found in the store at Camberwell around 10 years ago and Mike Sheil the photographer paid for its preservation, you know Mike I think Steve? You would have met him at Guild of Battlefield Guide do's in the past? 
  • SE7toSG3 said:
    Yes that was one of the four Billy Neville's company of the 8th East Surreys kicked off with 1st July 16 at Montauban. 

This one used by the the London Irish Rifles, 47th London Division, appeared on 25 September 15 and is mentioned by Patrick McGill in his memoir 'The Big Push'. 

It was found in the store at Camberwell around 10 years ago and Mike Sheil the photographer paid for its preservation, you know Mike I think Steve? You would have met him at Guild of Battlefield Guide do's in the past? 
    Yes Clive, I’ve met Mike and that’s brilliant that he paid for the restoration of the ball. Really looking forward to this event and it’ll be great if we can do one at the CAFC Museum, or perhaps upstairs at the White Swan as a fund raiser for the Museum. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2019
    Tom_Hovi said:
    Sorry, I'm sure he must get sick of this but the inner child in me couldn't resist.

• Might be tight getting there for 7 but I'm coming to this. Like a bit of history. 
  • A fantastic evening with about 60 supporters of football and wartime history in attendance. Good to see a few Addicks amongst them including Clive and Ben from the Museum. Hopefully, we’ll get to host another event either at the Museum or perhaps in the upstairs room at The White Swan. Highlight of the evening for me - seeing the Football of Loos up close and personal. Thanks to all of the speakers and thanks to everyone who supported the event by coming along. 
  • And here is the famous football. 
  • Well done Steve, a lovely evening, early plans to host one of these events in the summer, we have a museum meeting coming up so more to follow, seemed a really friendly bunch at DHFC and good to see you and catch up @rananegra
  • SE7toSG3 said:
    Well done Steve, a lovely evening, early plans to host one of these events in the summer, we have a museum meeting coming up so more to follow, seemed a really friendly bunch at DHFC and good to see you and catch up @rananegra
    Cheers Clive, 'twas a great evening. I'm definitely in if we hold a CAFC event either at the Museum or the White Swan (or wherever) and if you want me to talk about Jim Mackenzie, or Charlton in the Blitz, please count me in.