Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

pre-game

Hey all,
I am over from Melbourne and going to the game on Saturday.

Where is a good place to go for a beer before the game?

Cheers

Comments

• The White Swan in Charlton Village
  • royal oak - full of charlton fans cheap and cheerful 
    the swan - good choice but gets busy
    the bugle - next door to the swan if you want to watch the early kick off
  • we normally go to the Rose of Denmark - does what it says on the tin.  It's a pub.  It sells beer.  It's got the football on

Alternatively, get there early doors.  Quick pint in the Rose, pop along to the Oak and then up to the village for the other two (and do a report :-) )

• If you if you fancy a nice riverside pub, then take a walk down to the Anchor which is on the Thames bank, view of the Thames Barrier and see the planes landing at City airport opposite. Is about a 20'minute walk from the ground. 
  • Museum is open from 11.00pm to 1.00am free entry but no bar.

White Swan is best local but a trek up the hill. Decent beer and food.

If you don't mind giving Roland some more money then there is the fans bar, bland and expensive but in the ground.

The Anchor has the best views but a 15 minute walk.

Oak is closest but nothing special.
  • Museum is open from 11.00pm to 1.00am free entry but no bar.

White Swan is best local but a trek up the hill. Decent beer and food.

If you don't mind giving Roland some more money then there is the fans bar, bland and expensive but in the ground.

The Anchor has the best views but a 15 minute walk.

Oak is closest but nothing special.
    I doubt you'll get many attending with those entry times :-)
    Aussie hours obviously
  • Blow out Charlton and head straight to Deptford. Loads of great places to eat and drink, plus a local brewery. Trains run every 10 mins and it's only a nine min ride to Charlton station.
  • Sponsored links:

• Forget the football and just go down The Millers in Bexley Village.
  • Forget the football and just go down The Millers in Bexley Village.
    In fact, forget coming over and just head down the Waterhole
  • Forget The Valley and go non-league.
  • btrain88 said:
    Hey all,

Cheers
    Hi,

All as others have mentioned.
    Enjoy and no VB on tap and my fav.
  • edited March 2019
    If it is a nice day, I would recommend The Anchor and Hope. Nice outside area overlooking the Thames and an old London style seafood stall outside linked to the pub. The chips are nice there too. I would say more 10 minutes walk (it feels like less) than 15.

BTW, am I the only person who loves Whelks. Whelks and chips and a nice pint. Close to perfection!
  • Forget the football and go to the new Ikea instead
  • Swedish meatballs?
  • If it is a nice day, I would recommend The Anchor and Hope. Nice outside area overlooking the Thames and an old London style seafood stall outside linked to the pub. The chips are nice there too. I would say more 10 minutes walk (it feels like less) than 15.

BTW, am I the only person who loves Whelks. Whelks and chips and a nice pint. Close to perfection!
    Yes all day long and a top pub.
  • btrain88 said:
    Hey all,

Cheers
    I'll be in Vanburgh Arms, Maze Hill with nephew. Both of us spent a few years in Melbourne, me mostly in my youth.