Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fans Forum

edited November 2008 in General Charlton
It seems the parameters are limited in what can be discussed eg playing matters are off limits.

Are we allowed to petition to get rid of Warrington Pete and get Brian Cole or a proper Charlton announcer or is that off limits too?

Comments

• I'll sign that petition
  • Brian Cole you have no chance of getting back I'm afraid.
  • Where do i sign?
  • That's fair in my opinion...
  • WSSWSS
    edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Brian Cole you have no chance of getting back I'm afraid.
    No chance or fat chance? ;-)
  • Len,

You're right that football matters are off limits, but we're hoping to get some general idea of how the Club is planning to deal with the current situation.

With regard to the Stadium Announcer, we can certainly raise the point at Tuesday's meeting. What exactly is the objection? Is it his style, his 'Northernness', or his ' we are only 13 points off a play-off place' jingoism?

Dave
  • Can't speak for Len, but i'm also in the get rid of "Northern Pete" camp. Difficult to pin point what it is, probably a bit of all of what you say, but a lot of it is that he doesn't feel like he's one of us. He drops us for any other gig that comes along and to be honest, when Dave does it it's better end of. And whatever he's paid- it's a waste of money as well.
  • edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]

With regard to the Stadium Announcer, we can certainly raise the point at Tuesday's meeting. What exactly is the objection? Is it his style, his 'Northernness', or his ' we are only 13 points off a play-off place' jingoism?

Dave

I don't know what others think but for me he comes across as completely fake and his high-pitched `excited' voice sounds like he should be on Blue Peter or some other kids TV show. I don't want drab and boring but neither do I want his squeaky style and inane comments. For a start - we all know we are at the Valley FFS! And we know the time!
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]It seems the parameters are limited in what can be discussed eg playing matters are off limits.

Are we allowed to petition to get rid of Warrington Pete and get Brian Cole or a proper Charlton announcer or is that off limits too?

Almost as bad as this dickhead!

The stadium announcer at Schalke 04's Veltins Arena had to apologise after confusing Manchester City with Manchester United during his side's Uefa Cup tie with the Blues in Germany on Thursday. (Various)
  • WSSWSS
    edited November 2008
    BDL is more than capable of doing the job in my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• He is just bloody embarrassing! He should be working at boxing or may be for WWE, not at a "family" football club. Anyone could do his job but I have to ask do we need a pitch side guy? All he does is a few quick interviews occasionally and reads out the teams. BDL could do the teams
  • Can't say I'm bothered either way but I would say that "anyone could do his job" is a bit off the mark.

Ask BDL if he thinks it's so easy.

Good topic for the Fans Forum. I think a general review of the pre-match "experience" now Pardew has gone is due.
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Len,

You're right that football matters are off limits, but we're hoping to get some general idea of how the Club is planning to deal with the current situation.

Dave

There are a few reasons:

1. At a time money is tight he seems an unnecessary extravagance. I realise that the actual amount proably isn't that much in the overall scheme of things but when other areas of the Club have been mercilessly pruned it seems inappropiate to continue paying him.

2. He is a competent professional announcer and would be great at Pontins or somewhere like that, particularly for the kids. However we have a fragile home support (in that they easily turn on the team) and in my opinion a genuine Charlton person would be better able to "press the right mental buttons" and keep the crowd onside and behind the team. BDL has done a good job in his absence previously.

3. As others have said if he has "a better gig" he doesn't bother with us anyway.
  • Get someone who was born within the M25 to do the pitch announcents and some good proper half time entertainment. As like most i cant go for a smoke now and if with the mrs no beer so stuck with the programme and talking to her for 15 mins.. ;-) Got to be easy to knock up some entertainment, even the penailty shoot outs used to be a laugh, stick the youth keeper in goal 2 teams of youngsters or whatever and away u go..

Somthing like this would be nice.... LINK
  • Guys, the stadium announcer isn't going to be someone getting paid thousands per week. I'd be concerned if a section of support was lobbying our representatives for a normal bloke to get sacked during the biggest recession for decades because we don't like his style. He's not to blame for the stream of shit we're subjected to. Is the impact he's having on people's matchday experience so bad you'd want to trash his life? I've no idea I'm normally so hammered I've not got a clue what's afoot. I hadn't realised we'd been relegated until last week and I asked why we hadn't seen Man U for a while. The only time I've really been concious of what's going on around me was the anti-knives day, which I thought was handled very well and was a credit to our club.
  • If football matters are off limits, I dont think a lot of us will have that much to say. I ll give it a chance, but it sounds like we'll be better off with our Charlton Life.
  • Mortimerician,

the guy is a jobbing "presenter" paid a fee per gig, just like (most) radio presenters or actors or musicians so it's not going to be his total livelihood. That's the game he works in so why shouldn't he be replaced if he's not providing what his audience want.

Sorry- i'm sounding like i want him shot- i don't. I just don't think he's the right person to build up the crowd..
  • Personally I think it's better than Football issues aren't on the agenda although it's inevitable that with 10 or so Charlton fans in a room they are going to talk about the team even if it is informally.

Saying that the forum must have a say on football matters would have killed it dead before it started as no club would or should allow a committee to say who should play left back or if we should try 4-5-1 or 4-4-2.

And that's assuming the forum members or the fans in general could agree on who should play full back.

Football issues would also have swamped any other topic. Better this way IMHO

A lot of things can and will still be discussed on CL but the forum gives fans a chance to take issues, as above, straight to decision makers and let them know what people think. Officials can also feed back on why or what not certain things are happening.

Ideas that come up on CL can then be put into action rather than just be chatter on an message board.
  • [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]Mortimerician,

the guy is a jobbing "presenter" paid a fee per gig, just like (most) radio presenters or actors or musicians so it's not going to be his total livelihood. That's the game he works in so why shouldn't he be replaced if he's not providing what his audience want.

Sorry- i'm sounding like i want him shot- i don't. I just don't think he's the right person to build up the crowd..

I think the whole "build the crowd up" idea is flawed. Songs and videos can aid that but it's not something that can be conjured up at will IMHO. It has to come from the fans themselves.
  • the geezer is a jockey end of.Get rid please.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]Mortimerician,

I think the whole "build the crowd up" idea is flawed. Songs and videos can aid that but it's not something that can be conjured up at will IMHO. It has to come from the fans themselves.

I disagree.

I know it is not like for like but how do you explain the success of evangelical preachers like Billy Graham in influencing the behaviour of a crowd if it comes from the crowd themselves?
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]Mortimerician,

I disagree.

I know it is not like for like but how do you explain the success of evangelical preachers like Billy Graham in influencing the behaviour of a crowd if it comes from the crowd themselves?

I agree that charismatic speakers can get a crowd going but people have gone to listen to that speaker and hear what he/she has to say and in most cases will be sympathetic his the ideas they are listening to anyway.

A sports crowd is different in that the event is the match and with football it is a participative event (well for some people) where you sing and clap with the rest of the audience.

Also Billy Graham etc take a while to whip up a crowd. at football you have only a few minutes.
  • The Video before they come out always get the hairs up on the back of my neck, just shame all that goes when we go 2 nil down inside the first 15 mins... Pardew Out!!!!................ Doh!!!!!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: sporaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]

Dave

I don't know what others think but for me he comes across as completely fake and his high-pitched `excited' voice sounds like he should be on Blue Peter or some other kids TV show. I don't want drab and boring but neither do I want his squeaky style and inane comments. For a start - we all know we are at the Valley FFS!

And we know the time!

Sounds rather Graham Norton / Alan Carr. Get rid.
  • Fair enough Stanmore, I figured that he was a full timer. Still think there's gots to be something more to worry about from a club that's dropped a league and a half and is showing no signs of putting on the brakes, than an irritating geezer on the mic. I'm sticking with getting trashed and missing the kickoff.
  • Well said, Henry. I think it is recognised that the Club should not and cannot be run by a Fans' Committee, so the Fans' Forum must inevitably focus on the wider, if less emotive, issues. Nevertheless, I fully expect that we can gain a general insight into the way in which the Club intends to progress - and placing the views of the majority in front of the decision makers is a key part of this.

The Fans' Forum is not there to answer questions such as "Why was Andy Reid sold?", but it may help to provide re-assurance that lessons have been learned from previous mistakes, for example.

Sites such as CharltonLife provide a great opportunity for discussion and we should then try to distil general points to take to the Fans' Forum.

Any comments on the pies?
  • Who ate them all??

Andy_Reid_596512.jpg
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]s "Why was Andy Reid sold?",

Any comments on the pies?

Are you suggesting the two are linked : - )
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Who ate them all??

Andy_Reid_596512.jpg

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo you've photoshopped that!
  • nope straight from sky that one..