Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Parky: I'm 50:50

edited November 2008 in General Charlton
After today's result - half of me says stick with him as at least there seem to be signs of an improvement, tighter defence and a few (more) fresh faces that will need time to bed in. I like the way he has talked us up before each game & he seems on the face of it a more straightforward personality than Pards.

The other half says we need a completely new management broom to come in & galvanise the team into action with no old Pardew era divisions still tainting the dressing room air.

We saw what the Les Reed internal promotion/continuation idea did for us, can we afford to give Parky more time to turn it round?

Comments

• I'm happy to give the guy a chance. Things just AREN'T going to change round overnight. We have a pretty poor squad of players with zero confidence. Best we can hope for is a gradual improvement.
  • Clean sheet is a big step up
  • Not when we don't score it isn't
  • better than losing 5-2 or 3-1 at home
  • what a ridiculous comment

0-0 vs 5th from bottom team, when you are 3rd from bottom will not keep you up
  • bore off
  • it's not boring - it's the truth

you keyboard warrior, you ....
  • I just got back and am gutted we didn't win but overall thought we looked like we had some spirit and at last some players who look like they give a s**t, Gillespie and Burton caused all sorts of problems first half and we should have had a couple, they died off second half probably lacking match fitness and then we started to struggle a bit and were hanging on. They both looked like very experienced campaigners and I hope the effort they put in rubs off on the rest. McEveley also looked decent also struggled for fitness at the end. Semedo looked good and Fortune played well. I say give parky a bit longer.
  • I agree we give him a bit longer Nug - it's not his fault we are a squad bereft of quality or confidence. His loans are at least people wanting to prove something - Gillespie is a tryer, McEveley will improve on Youga - Burton? We shall see - again our forwards didn't score, but we're giving it a go.

However - we are in a real relegation fight and people on here need to realise this and stop sticking their head in the sand saying that "it's an improvement"

The ONLY improvement we need is 3 points - regardless of how we perform

We HAVE to start winning ugly
  • I was completely underwhelmed when we signed Burton and as you say we shall see, but he looked like a shrewd player adn almos tscored a great goal but for a brilliant save by the keeper (well that's what it looked from where I was sitting). It maes such a difference having someone who can consistently put great crosses into the box, I think Gillespie is a very good addition.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think you'll find Gillespie is a bit more than 'a tryer'.

Young Man Utd 1st teamer, many years of Prem and European experience, and a current international - let alone decent ability, good crosser, football intelligence and a wise old head now that's he matured.

It's only age and lack of matches this season that's against him.
  • Yes Oggy - he's 33 and that's why I said "tryer" because he needs to put in a huge shift nowadays to ensure his age doesn't conspire against him!

Him over Sam every day
  • Actually, Supa ....... 2 games in 4 days for a 33 year old whose only match practice this season has been playing for his country, is probably testing enough.

As his match fitness improves, it sounds as if we've got one hell of a useful player.
  • Davis (Saints GK) was Superman today - We would have had two before half time if it weren't for him. 3 definite penalties, lino bottled it. Lady Luck just don't love us!
  • Played well for the first half then we seemed to run out of puff in the second half which is understandble when so many players have barely played this season.

More happy this Saturday night when I was last week.

Minor point but it was good to see BDL on the pitch instead of Warrington Pete.
  • After recent performaces at home

I am extreemly happy with what i saw today, Mcevely plaed well, Wait for it Burton played superbly well, THe defence defended corners and crosses and weaver had feck all to do in the 1st half.

With a half decent ref we would have had atleast 1 pen, and Kelvin Davies made 3 super saves the overhead kick save from Burton the pick of the bunch

If we continue to improve in the way that we have in the last 2 games we should be ok,

In Parky i trust

It was in stages like a Charlton team i have watched in this league before under Curbs it can only get better

Well done to Parky
  • Glad to hear that there was an improvement, I put my trust in those that were there & have suffered under pards - just don't forget Uncle Les started off with an away loss and a home draw!!
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]After recent performaces at home

I am extreemly happy with what i saw today, Mcevely plaed well, Wait for it Burton played superbly well, THe defence defended corners and crosses and weaver had feck all to do in the 1st half.

With a half decent ref we would have had atleast 1 pen, and Kelvin Davies made 3 super saves the overhead kick save from Burton the pick of the bunch

If we continue to improve in the way that we have in the last 2 games we should be ok,

In Parky i trust

It was in stages like a Charlton team i have watched in this league before under Curbs it can only get better

Well done to Parky

Good post, NLA ...... from someone who was actually there.

We've been utter dross for much of the season, no fight, no spirit, empty.

It's slowly turning, I feel ..... simply because Parky & Kins seems to have the players onside.
    There's fight, there's spirit.

We've got more than a decent chance, especially as the season doesn't finish until May.
  • Thought Gillespie did well, and should get better. Burton was useful. Wasn't impressed by McEveley though. Not awful or a joke, as Kelly Youga has been at his worst, but made some silly mistakes and not too good going forward.
  • But we kept a clean sheet. When was the last time we did that?

I feel it's coming. Several players out there today didn't even know their team mates names.
    Give it a fair chance to gel - then we can sit in judgement.

Right the pub is calling! Laters.
  • Sponsored links:

• If you think about how many mins of footie all three of those have played they will only get better Mceveley played well enough for me
  • I thought today was the best performance for a long long time on the field and on the "terraces", for the first time this season the team looked balanced and everybody did a job. I would disagree with BDL, we could have been 3-0 up but for that bloody Davis by half time and whilst our performance wavered in the 2nd half of the 2nd half this has to be down to our energy throughout the previous 67 minutes. Parkie has got a week to work on fitness, get the players to know each other. One game does not make a managers contract but it helps move Parkie towards one in my mind.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Thought Gillespie did well, and should get better. Burton was useful. Wasn't impressed by McEveley though. Not awful or a joke, as Kelly Youga has been at his worst, but made some silly mistakes and not too good going forward.
    Have to disagree with you about McElevey not being too good going forward. I thought he linked up really well with Bouazza, particularly in the first half, and when he went bombing down the wing he caused their defence a lot of problems. The one big worry, which I suppose is not surprising given I can't make up my mind whether he reminds me more of Danny Mills or Ben Thatcher, is the booking he picked up for that rash challenge in the second half. I have a feeling that he's probably going to get suspended by New Year.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I thought today was the best performance for a long long time on the field and on the "terraces", for the first time this season the team looked balanced and everybody did a job. I would disagree with BDL, we could have been 3-0 up but for that bloody Davis by half time and whilst our performance wavered in the 2nd half of the 2nd half this has to be down to our energy throughout the previous 67 minutes. Parkie has got a week to work on fitness, get the players to know each other. One game does not make a managers contract but it helps move Parkie towards one in my mind.

Why? We agree that we could have had at least two goals. Don't we?
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Davis (Saints GK) was Superman today

One of his saves - (instinctive dive to his left) was brilliant. They really didn't muster too much threat for the final ball.

Good game- rather have had 3 points but hey ho.

BTW- any reason for their god awful kit combination.... Orange numbers - red shorts- i'm no Trinny and Sussanah but blimey- it wasn't a good look!
  • I thought Fortune made a big difference. Allowed Hudson to defend knowing Forch could sweep up behind if necessary. No clean sheets since Forch got injured is no coincidence.
  • [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]he one big worry, which I suppose is not surprising given I can't make up my mind whether he reminds me more of Danny Mills or Ben Thatcher,

I think he's Danny Mills' love child.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I thought Fortune made a big difference. Allowed Hudson to defend knowing Forch could sweep up behind if necessary. No clean sheets since Forch got injured is no coincidence.

As I've said elsewhere arguably the most underrated player at the Club.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]he one big worry, which I suppose is not surprising given I can't make up my mind whether he reminds me more of Danny Mills or Ben Thatcher,

I think he's Danny Mills' love child.

He reminded me of a young Mills.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]After recent performaces at home

In Parky i trust

Well done to Parky

Sounds good mate.....

real promising... I have to say from my side a clean sheet and a point is a lot better than recent performances at SE7 ...