Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Woodgate Middlesbrough Manager

Comments

• edited June 2019
    Badly in my view but then i thought the same about Bowyer and he has done a remarkable job
  • Who would have thought Bowyer and Woodgate would both become managers...
  • His first match can’t be much worse than his one for Real Madrid. 
  • Who would have thought Bowyer and Woodgate would both become managers...
    Maybe they'll play each other in the first game assuming Bowyer is still with us.
  • cant see this working out, boro fans have a huge expectation although lampard done a lot better than i thought he would.
  • edited June 2019
    His first match can’t be much worse than his one for Real Madrid. 
    I remember watching that game. He had a nightmare -  own goal and then sent off.
  • I think it’s a good thing - would much rather see This type of appointment rather than people like Hughes, Pardew or McLaren....Manager who constantly fail, get sacked and end up in another job. 

totally agree with this, Woodgate has been first team coach and academy coach so clearly has something about him
  • Sponsored links:

• Seems like young English coaches are willing to take jobs in the championship and lower which is how it should be. 

Just got to hope that if they do well there is a path to bigger things 
  • He was at the play off semi with Bowyer.

good that he’s been given a chance, no idea how he’ll do.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    He was at the play off semi with Bowyer.

probably how the outside world viewed Bowyer's appointment 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    He was at the play off semi with Bowyer.

probably how the outside world viewed Bowyer's appointment 
    Good point. I also thought Lampard and Gerrard would fall flat on their arses i must admit. They have not done too bad. 
  • Good luck to him, youngish British manager far better than some obscure, dare I say, Johnny Foreigner,  with no no track record.
    Certainly seeing clubs breaking from the norm a little bit more;

Graham Potter @ Brighton
    Steve Cooper @ Swansea
    Jonathan Woodgate @ Middlesbrough

Nice to see rather than the old guard like Pardew | Allardyce | Pulis getting constant jobs
  • Johnathan Woodgate was s bad influence on a  young impressionable Lee Bowyer.

Well done to Lee for overcoming such hurdles in his early career.

I presume you're trolling but I'll bite anyway. 

Bowyer is three years older than Woodgate. 
  • Isolating his football from the other stuff I always thought Woodgate was a seriously good player.
  • Good luck to him, youngish British manager far better than some obscure, dare I say, Johnny Foreigner,  with no no track record.

Graham Potter @ Brighton
    Steve Cooper @ Swansea

Nice to see rather than the old guard like Pardew | Allardyce | Pulis getting constant jobs
    Graeme Jones - Luton. First managerial job.
    Scott Parker - Fulham. First managerial job.
    Lampard.
    Gerrard.
    Bowyer.
    Joey Barton.
    Matt Taylor at Exeter.

Graham Potter @ Brighton
    Steve Cooper @ Swansea

Lampard.
    Gerrard.
    Bowyer.
    Joey Barton.
    Matt Taylor at Exeter.
    Plus Sol Campbell at Macclesfield  :)

Woodgate has built up to this, he was already coaching there, which is also how Bowyer and Parker got their jobs. Campbell by contrast has done all sorts of things since retirement, rather than finding a coaching position somewhere and waiting for the manager to leave/be sacked.
  • Sponsored links:

Graham Potter @ Brighton
    Steve Cooper @ Swansea

Would agree with the exception being Allardyce - Best English manager of the last 20 years in my opinion

Graham Potter @ Brighton
    Steve Cooper @ Swansea

Lampard.
    Gerrard.
    Bowyer.
    Joey Barton.
    Matt Taylor at Exeter.
    Forgot about Graeme Jones and Scott Parker

Decided to ignore the others because the appointments were last season

Notice that Derby | Rangers | Charlton | Fleetwood | Exeter all finished in the top halves of their respective Leagues too

None were involved in a relegation battle
  • seth plum said:
    Isolating his football from the other stuff I always thought Woodgate was a seriously good player.
    I alway thought he was over rated. Had a good couple of yrs for Leeds in a good team. One season at Newcastle and he was injured for a lot of it but somehow ended up at Madrid. Crazy time at Madrid if you ask me. Im not saying i am a better judge than their scout/recruiter. 
  • Johnathan Woodgate was s bad influence on a  young impressionable Lee Bowyer.

Well done to Lee for overcoming such hurdles in his early career.

Bowyer was hardly an angel in his younger days was he? I don't recall Woodgate being around when Bowyer tested positive for drugs or smashed up that McDonalds.

Out of order saying Johnny foreigner,
    Nobby Vinegar is allowed though  ;)
  • like Bowyer, a local lad who played for them, also did his coaching badges whist with the club i believe.

like Bowyer, an excellent player in his day

like Bowyer, some fans will struggle to look past his off the field antics until he starts doing well

good luck to him
  • The advantage of appointing an unknown manager is that they are yet to fail so could be great. The disadvantage is that they are unknown so could be crap.