Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    Six million views

Six bloody million.

Greatest thread of all time
    1745 history posts from Happy valley
    Around 400 'ITK' posts from the likes of Jimmy Seed, Doucher, NLA and Redhenry.
    58 posts from Henry Irving telling us why he deserves a promote.
    106 posts from Napa justifying a 77m price tag.
    6 posts from Dazzler telling us about his Grindr date on a train.
    And the rest are absolute nonsense.

You say that like it's a bad thing
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    A seat for every post in this thread we have now filled St James Park (52,354)

On to Anfield now (54,074)
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Mametz said:

I know it's been said an million times before, but what an absolute shambles. The job Bowyer has done... for the single season performance he's just had - well... it's got to be up there with anything Seed, Lawrence, Curbs, or Powell ever achieved... the best managers this club has ever know.

Winning promotion on a shoe string.
    Playing good quality football the likes of which we didn't really see even under Powell and only a few times under Curbs
    Turning supporter apathy in August into one of the largest, noisiest, most united turnouts ever by our supporters at Wembley 9 months later.

I mean, I honestly don't know what more he could have done. Yet here we are, at the 11th hour, and things are merely "beginning to move in the right direction". And it's not even as if it appears a difficult deal to do - Bowyer really, truly wants to stay FFS!

It beggars belief, it really does.

Don’t be silly, can’t put in the sand breathe as some of those. 

We didn’t pay a fee for anyone but let’s be honest we still had a very good squad for the third tier. Don’t get me wrong, he done an outstanding job but all we did was win promotion from the third tier. Of course we need to keep him but I think his achievements are slightly exaggerated, mostly because of the shit over the last few years. 
    Tell me a single, standalone season where any of those mangers achieved significantly more than Bowyer did last year in less favourable circumstances?

Who ever got promoted without a good squad? Powell and Curbs certainly had very good squads. And lets not forget who assembled that very good squad and who identified and attracted those players despite having no money for fees. Curbs and Powell were both backed in the transfer market during their most successful years to an extent Bowyer can only dream of.

Lennie Lawrence is the main comparison for me, getting us up despite the turmoil of the leaving the Valley. Ok, it was a division higher, but promotion is promotion.

What Bowyer has done this year is 100% comparable with some of the best managerial achievements to happen at Charlton. I don't think it's at all an exaggeration to say that.

Lawrence was backed in the transfer market.

In the close season before the start of the 85/86 season he was given the resources to bring in John Humprey, Steve Thomson, John Pearson, George Shipley, Mark Reid, and John Pender. Compared to previous close seasons this represented a huge outlay on new players. Later on in the season Jim Melrose was added to give a final push to promotion. Lawrence chose well and promotion was achieved. The sting in the tail was leaving the Valley for Selhurst Park. 
    & Jimmy Loveridge ..................... The only one of LLs signings that summer who wasn't a success.

John Pearson was signed at the end of 84/85 season, last game of the season it was announced at halftime that we had signed JP for 100k which was a huge fee for us at that time

Didn't we sign Steve Thomson to replace John Pender who got injured after only a few games & if that's correct who played alongside Pender at the start of the season ?
    Les Berry?

He certainly played a handful of games that season. 
    Didn't think he did but could be wrong.

Almost certain he didn't start the season as it was a brand new back four
  • Options
    Any more news from the bloke on the train yet ?
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Mametz said:

I know it's been said an million times before, but what an absolute shambles. The job Bowyer has done... for the single season performance he's just had - well... it's got to be up there with anything Seed, Lawrence, Curbs, or Powell ever achieved... the best managers this club has ever know.

Winning promotion on a shoe string.
    Playing good quality football the likes of which we didn't really see even under Powell and only a few times under Curbs
    Turning supporter apathy in August into one of the largest, noisiest, most united turnouts ever by our supporters at Wembley 9 months later.

I mean, I honestly don't know what more he could have done. Yet here we are, at the 11th hour, and things are merely "beginning to move in the right direction". And it's not even as if it appears a difficult deal to do - Bowyer really, truly wants to stay FFS!

It beggars belief, it really does.

Don’t be silly, can’t put in the sand breathe as some of those. 

We didn’t pay a fee for anyone but let’s be honest we still had a very good squad for the third tier. Don’t get me wrong, he done an outstanding job but all we did was win promotion from the third tier. Of course we need to keep him but I think his achievements are slightly exaggerated, mostly because of the shit over the last few years. 
    Tell me a single, standalone season where any of those mangers achieved significantly more than Bowyer did last year in less favourable circumstances?

Who ever got promoted without a good squad? Powell and Curbs certainly had very good squads. And lets not forget who assembled that very good squad and who identified and attracted those players despite having no money for fees. Curbs and Powell were both backed in the transfer market during their most successful years to an extent Bowyer can only dream of.

Lennie Lawrence is the main comparison for me, getting us up despite the turmoil of the leaving the Valley. Ok, it was a division higher, but promotion is promotion.

What Bowyer has done this year is 100% comparable with some of the best managerial achievements to happen at Charlton. I don't think it's at all an exaggeration to say that.

Lawrence was backed in the transfer market.

In the close season before the start of the 85/86 season he was given the resources to bring in John Humprey, Steve Thomson, John Pearson, George Shipley, Mark Reid, and John Pender. Compared to previous close seasons this represented a huge outlay on new players. Later on in the season Jim Melrose was added to give a final push to promotion. Lawrence chose well and promotion was achieved. The sting in the tail was leaving the Valley for Selhurst Park. 
    & Jimmy Loveridge ..................... The only one of LLs signings that summer who wasn't a success.

John Pearson was signed at the end of 84/85 season, last game of the season it was announced at halftime that we had signed JP for 100k which was a huge fee for us at that time

Didn't we sign Steve Thomson to replace John Pender who got injured after only a few games & if that's correct who played alongside Pender at the start of the season ?
    Les Berry?

He certainly played a handful of games that season. 
    Didn't think he did but could be wrong.

Almost certain he didn't start the season as it was a brand new back four
    Just checked Home and Away and Thompson was partnered by Berry in the first match of the season against Barnsley. 

Pender was back for the next game. In all Les played seven times that season. 
  • Options
    Good thread this 
    Never mind the quality feel the width.
  • Options
  • Options
    Aussie FC website states a 55m AUD figure. That equates to just under £33m.
    33m purchase price uncovered in April 2017.

I was more ITK two years ago than I am now!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Last battle fought on British Soil at Culludon where a Scot with a French accent and an army of Scots is defeated by a German with an army of Scots
    And some Mancunians.
  • Options
    Not yet.......I think the saucy sausage is playing hard to get.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Last battle fought on British Soil at Culludon where a Scot with a French accent and an army of Scots is defeated by a German with an army of Scots
    I had you down as a scholar.

Culloden.
  • Options

One of my direct ancestors was killed at the Battle of Falkirk three months earlier - the penultimate battle on British soil.
  • Options
    CAFCBell said:
    I was just on a 486 to North Greenwich and some bloke called Gary told me Roland the Rat and Dalman had adjoining rooms last night at the Clarendon and LB met them for a shandy in the bar. It's happening. 
    Dazzler was getting a hand shandy off his Brighton mate in the toilets.
    They were the only 2 blokes to be seen in the toilets at the Spice Girls concert. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

One of my direct ancestors was killed at the Battle of Falkirk three months earlier - the penultimate battle on British soil.
    Which side was he on?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Which side was he on?
    Robert and Duncan, brave men to the end.
    Both bonny men.
  • Options
    CAFCBell said:
    I was just on a 486 to North Greenwich and some bloke called Gary told me Roland the Rat and Dalman had adjoining rooms last night at the Clarendon and LB met them for a shandy in the bar. It's happening. 
    They were the only 2 blokes to be seen in the toilets at the Spice Girls concert. 
    Both using the private cubicle..................together.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

And some Mancunians.
    If you are talking about the Jacobite Manchester Regiment, we're they not left to the tender mercies of the Hanoverian administration at Carlisle? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was out drinking with Jim Davidson this evening - told me Roland had ruined the club and he won't come back until he's gone.

Jim is sick of all the CL haters .
    Let’s hope he doesn’t have long to wait!
  • Options
    CAFCBell said:
    & the photographer :smiley:
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Marks and Spencer in Carlisle has 2 blue plaques. 

One says bonnie Prince Charlie stayed here 1744 the other says the Duke of Cumberland stayed here 1746.

Or something similar. 
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/nTh9qpzhunE
  • Options
    Aussie FC website states a 55m AUD figure. That equates to just under £33m.
    33m purchase price uncovered in April 2017.

I was more ITK two years ago than I am now!

Six million views

Six bloody million.

Greatest thread of all time
    1745 history posts from Happy valley
    Around 400 'ITK' posts from the likes of Jimmy Seed, Doucher, NLA and Redhenry.
    58 posts from Henry Irving telling us why he deserves a promote.
    106 posts from Napa justifying a 77m price tag.
    6 posts from Dazzler telling us about his Grindr date on a train.
    And the rest are absolute nonsense.

It is actually possible that that price (£33m) was agreed all that time ago. How we’d laugh...
  • Options
    https://wholesaleinvestor.com.au/australian-football-consortium-in-the-running-to-buy-english-league-one-team-charlton-athletic/

Not sure if that has been posted already, but was dated on 6th May 2019, having got our final league position wrong in the statement, it has also said they’re one of three to be in the running and that they’re currently raising capital and looking for any extra interest.

It also says it was published by the Australian Football Consortium (AFC).

How real that is I don’t know. Just thought I’d share it.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Just wondering what is the very last day when new owners could buy the club allowing a decent amount of time to make new signings? I’m guessing 28th June? 
  • Options
    Also, almost a year on from the joint statement on the official site. Absolute madness really.
  • Options
    1747, Samuel Johnson starts his dictionary of the English language. It was to take him 7 years to complete.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!