Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Bowyer attracted three players to the club that were heavily subsidised by their own clubs or former clubs. Not sure many managers could have done that. What he did was alongside our better players, he injected quality well above the league. If you want to go on budgets, you can't ignore that we had players on Championship wages. Imagine what Igor's £7.5k a week would have got us.

Allied to that, we played football that was actually a joy to watch at times. And he tried to win games which his record shows so clearly. I think when we talk of Bowyer, we also have to mention his team around him, but to underestimate the job they have done is quite frankly ridiculous.
    I agree. In 2011 when Powell built his squad all of the legacy contracts had expired and he was able to build an excellent L1 squad. 
  • Options

I know it's been said an million times before, but what an absolute shambles. The job Bowyer has done... for the single season performance he's just had - well... it's got to be up there with anything Seed, Lawrence, Curbs, or Powell ever achieved... the best managers this club has ever know.

Winning promotion on a shoe string.
    Playing good quality football the likes of which we didn't really see even under Powell and only a few times under Curbs
    Turning supporter apathy in August into one of the largest, noisiest, most united turnouts ever by our supporters at Wembley 9 months later.

I mean, I honestly don't know what more he could have done. Yet here we are, at the 11th hour, and things are merely "beginning to move in the right direction". And it's not even as if it appears a difficult deal to do - Bowyer really, truly wants to stay FFS!

It beggars belief, it really does.

Don’t be silly, can’t put in the sand breathe as some of those. 

We didn’t pay a fee for anyone but let’s be honest we still had a very good squad for the third tier. Don’t get me wrong, he done an outstanding job but all we did was win promotion from the third tier. Of course we need to keep him but I think his achievements are slightly exaggerated, mostly because of the shit over the last few years. 
    Tell me a single, standalone season where any of those mangers achieved significantly more than Bowyer did last year in less favourable circumstances?

Who ever got promoted without a good squad? Powell and Curbs certainly had very good squads. And lets not forget who assembled that very good squad and who identified and attracted those players despite having no money for fees. Curbs and Powell were both backed in the transfer market during their most successful years to an extent Bowyer can only dream of.

Lennie Lawrence is the main comparison for me, getting us up despite the turmoil of the leaving the Valley. Ok, it was a division higher, but promotion is promotion.

What Bowyer has done this year is 100% comparable with some of the best managerial achievements to happen at Charlton. I don't think it's at all an exaggeration to say that.

I think Powell's season in the Championship was fantastic, just missing out on the play offs was a tremendous achievement and no, you are wrong he wasn't really backed that season. 

It's just my opinion and probably not completely shared. I am not saying Bowyer hasn't done a very good job. He has turned the place around, produced a team you want to pay to watch and all on a limited budget. But in the third division that budget was sufficient and we should have finished top 6 with the players we had. In terms of recruitment he deserves credit but more to Gallen IMO. 

I don't want this to distract from the contract/takeover issues anyway, I desperately want Lee to stay and Roland to get lost like everyone else. 
    Easier to get it wrong though. Slade and Robinson were able spend fees on players yet their football was worse and neither got us promoted.

As well as winning promotion Bowyer also helped to improve several players. When did a manager last do that?
  • Options
    I can see it now.
    Takeover announced here on page 1815, just after the historical fact post for the battle of Waterloo.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    @cafcfan1990
    Powell was backed in League 1 but not in the Championship because Cash, stopped the cash !

I think you are underestimating Lee Bowyer skills in man management and his utter belief that we would reach our goal of promotion. Chris Powell like Lee had man management skills but unlike Bowyer didn't have the utter belief once the money stopped in the Championship. He still did a good job but his comments at the start of his last season was of a man resigned to us struggling. His optimistic approach had disappeared, this was six months before Duchatelet tenure started. I don't blame him and have plenty of platonic man love for him. The shite he had to endure under the last year of Jimenez and Co and his time under Duchatelet when encouraged to play a goalie who couldn't catch a ball would have broken many a manager.

Bowyer motivated the short contract players, the out of contract players, the loan players and every man jack of them plus even convinced the #not a penny more, to spend ponds on visits to the valley for end of season games against Donny and the wonderful day at Wembley. Add his tactical nous and even getting Pratley and Parker to put in performances at the business end of the season. A miracle worker but I understand in football we need to temper that in case he walks. Then he just becomes a guy who was in the right place at the right time when Robinson left and just got Charlton promoted as you would expect after a year in charge.

I'm in the miracle worker camp, Lee will have to achieve another miracle by keeping us in the champ if he stays. (Unless new owners give him a budget commensurate with a Championship side)

• Options
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying. You emphasied my point about Powell, we finished just outside the play offs on a League 1 budget, I think that is a better achievement than Bowyer's last year. 

I just feel he has done a brilliant job, but miracle worker is a step too far. That will change if he keeps us in the Champ under Roland though. Hope it doesn't come to that. 
  • Options
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying. You emphasied my point about Powell, we finished just outside the play offs on a League 1 budget, I think that is a better achievement than Bowyer's last year. 

I just feel he has done a brilliant job, but miracle worker is a step too far. That will change if he keeps us in the Champ under Roland though. Hope it doesn't come to that. 
    The gulf in the Championship is much bigger now.

I think LB has done an excellent job and he's got us playing well in difficult times. Massive loss if we lose him.
  • Options
    Maybe miracle worker is hyperbole but I would like to see Lee Bowyer attempt to keep Charlton up when underdogs in matches and not favourites  
  • Options
    I'd like to see him try to take us up against the odds. He strikes me as an against the odds type of manager. The odds can't be as ridiculous as Roland is keen to make them though - he has to have half a chance!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is a takeover thread. Can we take the rest of the stuff to another thread ? There’s a Lee Bowyer thread sitting there.
    I can't find the fish thread or the don't talk to strangers on a train thread.
  • Options
    Yes Bowyer did a superb job. But it is important to get it in perspective, in L1 even under Roland we were still a big fish. 

The Championship is a massive step up though, without a takeover 4th bottom will be a great achievement
    Despite Cafc being a big fish in League 1, it was a fantastic achievement for Bowyer to reel in the other slippery contenders last season. Having trawled through the record books it was one of the best clamaxes to a season for years and all Charlton fins had a whale of a time at Wembley despite being squashed like sardines waiting for the train afterwards.

Roachdale and Scunny may be minnows but needed to be battered for us to take our Plaice in the fry-offs.
    Roeland Is a basket case and only Parker from the Gills was added in the window.

For Lee Bowyer to hook the big whopper Sarr at HT after his bait pass went in the net took courage.

Now back to the sole of Charlton. 
    You took all the puns in one post? That's just shellfish... 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    rikofold said:
    Yes Bowyer did a superb job. But it is important to get it in perspective, in L1 even under Roland we were still a big fish. 

The Championship is a massive step up though, without a takeover 4th bottom will be a great achievement
    Despite Cafc being a big fish in League 1, it was a fantastic achievement for Bowyer to reel in the other slippery contenders last season. Having trawled through the record books it was one of the best clamaxes to a season for years and all Charlton fins had a whale of a time at Wembley despite being squashed like sardines waiting for the train afterwards.

Roachdale and Scunny may be minnows but needed to be battered for us to take our Plaice in the fry-offs.
    Roeland Is a basket case and only Parker from the Gills was added in the window.

For Lee Bowyer to hook the big whopper Sarr at HT after his bait pass went in the net took courage.

Now back to the sole of Charlton. 
    You took all the puns in one post? That's just shellfish... 
    I did get 19 puns in.
    The world is my Oyster
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Lee Bowyer is not the best manager we have ever had.  He's the best manager we have; and he's a better manager than anyone else we could get at this time.  He could become the best manager we have ever had; but only if we keep him.  We would cope without him; but we wouldn't do as well with anyone else.  

To compare him, as a manager, with Seed, Lawrence, Curbishley or even Powell is utterly ridiculous and serves no point.  However, it is worth pointing out that, unlike Seed, Lawrence, Curbishley or Powell, he could still become Charlton's greatest-ever manager. 

Retaining him is the second-most important, second-most urgent task right now. 
    You’re right, he’s not yet but he certainly could be given the right support. 
  • Options
    rikofold said:

I know it's been said an million times before, but what an absolute shambles. The job Bowyer has done... for the single season performance he's just had - well... it's got to be up there with anything Seed, Lawrence, Curbs, or Powell ever achieved... the best managers this club has ever know.

Winning promotion on a shoe string.
    Playing good quality football the likes of which we didn't really see even under Powell and only a few times under Curbs
    Turning supporter apathy in August into one of the largest, noisiest, most united turnouts ever by our supporters at Wembley 9 months later.

I mean, I honestly don't know what more he could have done. Yet here we are, at the 11th hour, and things are merely "beginning to move in the right direction". And it's not even as if it appears a difficult deal to do - Bowyer really, truly wants to stay FFS!

It beggars belief, it really does.

Don’t be silly, can’t put in the sand breathe as some of those. 

We didn’t pay a fee for anyone but let’s be honest we still had a very good squad for the third tier. Don’t get me wrong, he done an outstanding job but all we did was win promotion from the third tier. Of course we need to keep him but I think his achievements are slightly exaggerated, mostly because of the shit over the last few years. 
    Tell me a single, standalone season where any of those mangers achieved significantly more than Bowyer did last year in less favourable circumstances?

Who ever got promoted without a good squad? Powell and Curbs certainly had very good squads. And lets not forget who assembled that very good squad and who identified and attracted those players despite having no money for fees. Curbs and Powell were both backed in the transfer market during their most successful years to an extent Bowyer can only dream of.

Lennie Lawrence is the main comparison for me, getting us up despite the turmoil of the leaving the Valley. Ok, it was a division higher, but promotion is promotion.

What Bowyer has done this year is 100% comparable with some of the best managerial achievements to happen at Charlton. I don't think it's at all an exaggeration to say that.

Any manager that wins promotion has achieved something special. Let's face it, in the last 40 years only 5 managers have achieved it at Charlton.

It's slightly disingenuous to suggest Curbs was backed. That 98 squad took a long time to build and £700k on Mendonca was backing but not in the realm of what other clubs could do, more significantly neither were wages.

Bowyer joins a group of excellent managers, all of whom have achieved their promotions on relative shoestrings. 

It's ludicrous he hasn't been given a suitable contract. Let's hope this thread dies for the right reason as soon as possible and get his future tied down.
    Bit of a strange statistic given three of the successful managers account for 27 of the 40 years (and 12 of their seasons were in the top flight which made promotion impossible).
  • Options
    @PopIcon Which bit of my post did you find "funny"? 
  • Options
    Any actual news on the purchase of the club wether Dalman, Aussies,Mike Ashley,Boris Johnson,Lord Lucan,a mysterious man on a train to Brighton,the EU, UKIP, Thane,X Men, Mickey Mouse,Trump,Cliff Richard,Tiger Woods,something from Mars!!!!!
    PLEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEEEE!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Won't here anything over the weekend.
  • Options
    john3 said:
    Any actual news on the purchase of the club wether Dalman, Aussies,Mike Ashley,Boris Johnson,Lord Lucan,a mysterious man on a train to Brighton,the EU, UKIP, Thane,X Men, Mickey Mouse,Trump,Cliff Richard,Tiger Woods,something from Mars!!!!!
    PLEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEEEE!!!!!!
    20/03/2023

Breaking News:

"Cliff Richard sacks Lee Bowyer"

Stranger things have happened 😉
  • Options
    Won't here anything over the weekend.

Hear.

I despair.

• Options
    Chizz said:
    The bit about Bowyer becoming our best manager ever. Brilliant stuff, keep it coming.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:
    The bit about Bowyer becoming our best manager ever. Brilliant stuff, keep it coming.
    I said that's possible.  Do you disagree?
  • Options
    There is a Bowyer thread people. 
  • Options
    1741, War of Jenkins' Ear, Britain invades Cuba.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:
    I said that's possible.  Do you disagree?
    It's possible that we are secretly brothers, torn from our mothers teet at birth, its possible that I might wake up in the morning to find out I've grown a pair of tits and my penis has grown inwards, it's also possible that Ben Reeves will get an England call up for next years Euro's.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!