Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options

• Options
    1739, Dick Turpin hanged for horse theft.
  • Options
    It genuinely staggers me that some fans can't see how big the job Lee Bowyer has done in the last 15-16 months or so whatever it is. It really reminds me of the late 80's when Lennie Lawrence would defy the odds every year.

Maybe you had to be sitting on the coach at 2am on the way back from Blackpool away two seasons ago having lost 0-1 season all but over with 3 months of the season to play. Maybe you had to see those lows first hand amongst many others we saw during our 3 year stint in League One to appreciate the work Bowyer has done in the last 15-16 months but i'm not even sure I can put into words what Bowyer has done for us. We owe Bowyer big time for last season. I'd love someone like grapevine to put into words just what Bowyer has done for the club.
    Exactly who are all these fans who can’t see what a great job LB has done? I haven’t seen any evidence that there more than one or two at the most.....one of whom posted earlier today and was rounded on immediately by several of us.
    I honestly have seen no other evidence of such an opinion expressed on here or anywhere else come to that?
    I didn't say people weren't saying Bowyer hasn't done a great job I doubt you could find any Charlton fan of that opinion.

I realize lots of new posts occur very quickly on this thread and it's hard to keep up but there are a few posters not many but a handful yes that have either posted here or on another thread to say that Bowyer only got the team promoted and that was the expectation anyway. I'm just of the opinion that I think Bowyer has done far more than that and aside from winning the league don't think there's anything else he could have done this year really and would probably need someone like grapevine to really put it across.
  • Options
    I didn't say people weren't saying Bowyer hasn't done a great job I doubt you could find any Charlton fan of that opinion.
    I found one.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Someone make a Lemnos Laurence thread please because 45 posts later I don’t know where we are are at now.

We been bought yet or what
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Rich Cawley is an extremely well respected, well connected, responsible local journalist, any suggestion that he has a history of incorrectly reporting is nonsense, sometimes he doesnt say what we want to hear but netherless I trust his judgement and regularly listen to what he has to say.
    Maybe, but coming back with just a "No" seems a bit like a 50/50 guess?
  • Options
    Someone make a Lemnos Laurence thread please because 45 posts later I don’t know where we are are at now.

We been bought yet or what

What
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are Lemnos some kind of cold/flu pastilles?
  • Options
    1739, Dick Turpin hanged for horse theft.
    And there was me, hoping that the outbreak of the War of Jenkin's Ear would get a look in... 
  • Options
    1739 - English highwayman Dick Turpin is executed by hanging for horse theft.
    The original MrDick ... 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

HR Owen Dealerships

Broughton's of Cheltenham (HR Owen again)

H.R.Owen Plc

Under H.R.Owen Plc there are a few other Directors with familiar names..
    Robin Tan
    U-Peng Tan
    Veh Ken Choo

This was mentioned to me a few months back about the owner of HR Owen being interested (I googled and I’m certain it wasn’t this fella who I ended up with but must have been him who was being referred to) but was finding it difficult to deal with The Helmet 
  • Options
    1739 special: a song about Dick Turpin https://youtu.be/WYU-vSh7ORA
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Mametz said:

I know it's been said an million times before, but what an absolute shambles. The job Bowyer has done... for the single season performance he's just had - well... it's got to be up there with anything Seed, Lawrence, Curbs, or Powell ever achieved... the best managers this club has ever know.

Winning promotion on a shoe string.
    Playing good quality football the likes of which we didn't really see even under Powell and only a few times under Curbs
    Turning supporter apathy in August into one of the largest, noisiest, most united turnouts ever by our supporters at Wembley 9 months later.

I mean, I honestly don't know what more he could have done. Yet here we are, at the 11th hour, and things are merely "beginning to move in the right direction". And it's not even as if it appears a difficult deal to do - Bowyer really, truly wants to stay FFS!

It beggars belief, it really does.

Don’t be silly, can’t put in the sand breathe as some of those. 

We didn’t pay a fee for anyone but let’s be honest we still had a very good squad for the third tier. Don’t get me wrong, he done an outstanding job but all we did was win promotion from the third tier. Of course we need to keep him but I think his achievements are slightly exaggerated, mostly because of the shit over the last few years. 
    Tell me a single, standalone season where any of those mangers achieved significantly more than Bowyer did last year in less favourable circumstances?

Who ever got promoted without a good squad? Powell and Curbs certainly had very good squads. And lets not forget who assembled that very good squad and who identified and attracted those players despite having no money for fees. Curbs and Powell were both backed in the transfer market during their most successful years to an extent Bowyer can only dream of.

Lennie Lawrence is the main comparison for me, getting us up despite the turmoil of the leaving the Valley. Ok, it was a division higher, but promotion is promotion.

What Bowyer has done this year is 100% comparable with some of the best managerial achievements to happen at Charlton. I don't think it's at all an exaggeration to say that.

Lawrence was backed in the transfer market.

In the close season before the start of the 85/86 season he was given the resources to bring in John Humprey, Steve Thomson, John Pearson, George Shipley, Mark Reid, and John Pender. Compared to previous close seasons this represented a huge outlay on new players. Later on in the season Jim Melrose was added to give a final push to promotion. Lawrence chose well and promotion was achieved. The sting in the tail was leaving the Valley for Selhurst Park. 
    Think Mike Bailey should be mentioned as well. 

In some ways 1980/81 is the most similar to last season in that he revived us from being relegated with record low points to a promotion campaign. The only player brought in was Terry Naylor from Spurs midway through the season. 
    Bailey is a better comparison.

Both were assistants who stepped up, both finished third....Oh hang on a minute. Bailey left in the summer after promotion when not given the contract he wanted.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Mametz said:

I know it's been said an million times before, but what an absolute shambles. The job Bowyer has done... for the single season performance he's just had - well... it's got to be up there with anything Seed, Lawrence, Curbs, or Powell ever achieved... the best managers this club has ever know.

Playing good quality football the likes of which we didn't really see even under Powell and only a few times under Curbs
    Turning supporter apathy in August into one of the largest, noisiest, most united turnouts ever by our supporters at Wembley 9 months later.

I mean, I honestly don't know what more he could have done. Yet here we are, at the 11th hour, and things are merely "beginning to move in the right direction". And it's not even as if it appears a difficult deal to do - Bowyer really, truly wants to stay FFS!

We didn’t pay a fee for anyone but let’s be honest we still had a very good squad for the third tier. Don’t get me wrong, he done an outstanding job but all we did was win promotion from the third tier. Of course we need to keep him but I think his achievements are slightly exaggerated, mostly because of the shit over the last few years. 
    Tell me a single, standalone season where any of those mangers achieved significantly more than Bowyer did last year in less favourable circumstances?

Who ever got promoted without a good squad? Powell and Curbs certainly had very good squads. And lets not forget who assembled that very good squad and who identified and attracted those players despite having no money for fees. Curbs and Powell were both backed in the transfer market during their most successful years to an extent Bowyer can only dream of.

Lennie Lawrence is the main comparison for me, getting us up despite the turmoil of the leaving the Valley. Ok, it was a division higher, but promotion is promotion.

What Bowyer has done this year is 100% comparable with some of the best managerial achievements to happen at Charlton. I don't think it's at all an exaggeration to say that.

In the close season before the start of the 85/86 season he was given the resources to bring in John Humprey, Steve Thomson, John Pearson, George Shipley, Mark Reid, and John Pender. Compared to previous close seasons this represented a huge outlay on new players. Later on in the season Jim Melrose was added to give a final push to promotion. Lawrence chose well and promotion was achieved. The sting in the tail was leaving the Valley for Selhurst Park. 

In some ways 1980/81 is the most similar to last season in that he revived us from being relegated with record low points to a promotion campaign. The only player brought in was Terry Naylor from Spurs midway through the season. 

Both were assistants who stepped up, both finished third....Oh hang on a minute. Bailey left in the summer after promotion when not given the contract he wanted.
    Though on a positive note under Mullery we did stay up, finishing 13th, sandwiched between Chelsea and Cambridge! And 2 places above Palace  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard J said:
    Mametz said:

...and what a wonderful replacement.  Not.

Some of the worst football I have seen by Charlton the season after Bailey left. 
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Today feels like a pivotal moment in our summer so in true oohaah fashion...

1% Aussies take over and Bowyer signs
    5% Dalman takes over and Bowyer signs
    14% Roland stays and Bowyer signs
    80% Roland stays and Bowyer’s off

The Duckworth OohAah percentage method of today’s likely scoop revealer:

WIOTOS 0%
    Seed 1%
    Airman Brown 3%
    Paul Abbabanana 5%
    Gieseppe Muro 9%
    Creepy Cawley 12%
    Complete random on Twitter 20%
    Peter ‘Scoop’ Burrows via Clubcall 22%
    Team Doucher 28%

Hands up who used to dial Clubcall from their office phone?
    Impressive, cuz
  • Options

I'm having really nasty thoughts about a certain individual now.
  • Options
    On Thursday

"So Lee, any comment on what looks to be a tough opening fixture for Charlton away at Sheffield Wednesday?"

"Nothing to do with me Creepy".
  • Options

I think Powell's season in the Championship was fantastic, just missing out on the play offs was a tremendous achievement and no, you are wrong he wasn't really backed that season. 

It's just my opinion and probably not completely shared. I am not saying Bowyer hasn't done a very good job. He has turned the place around, produced a team you want to pay to watch and all on a limited budget. But in the third division that budget was sufficient and we should have finished top 6 with the players we had. In terms of recruitment he deserves credit but more to Gallen IMO. 

I don't want this to distract from the contract/takeover issues anyway, I desperately want Lee to stay and Roland to get lost like everyone else. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Mametz said:

Hush your mouth !

Unfortunately for fans this is the story of CAFC since the beginning of our famous old club. Even in the 1920's we had to let a star player go to Fulham(from memory !) to make ends meet.
    This and other information is on show in the Museum where a nice chap called Ben and other good folk hang out. 

• Options
    1740, James Thomson's poem Rule Britannia is set to music by Thomas Arne.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!