Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stupid/Weird nicknames

Watching The Gold Cup and the commentator keeps refering to Mexico as El Tree, made me think what other stupid/weird nicknames are their for football teams or countries.

Comments

• New Zealand women is also weird-Football Ferns
  • Watching The Gold Cup and the commentator keeps refering to Mexico as El Tree, made me think what other stupid/weird nicknames are their for football teams or countries.
    Gold Cup?

There is only one Gold Cup and that is run at Cheltenham in March, other incarnations need to be qualified with detail.

See no issue with the NZ women being called Football Ferns, it is their national symbol after all. 
  • Riviera said:
    Watching The Gold Cup and the commentator keeps refering to Mexico as El Tree, made me think what other stupid/weird nicknames are their for football teams or countries.
    Gold Cup?

There is only one Gold Cup and that is run at Cheltenham in March, other incarnations need to be qualified with detail.

See no issue with the NZ women being called Football Ferns, it is their national symbol after all. 
    Didnt know that was NZ national symbol so thats ok haha.

Gotta say I disagree tho on your other point, Gold Cup is the football event.

The horse racing event is The Cheltenham Gold Cup.

• Riviera said:
    Gold Cup?

No football event has ever been referred to as The Gold Cup. The Cheltenham Gold Cup is the...Gold Cup, like The Open is The Open and not the British Open.
  • Watching The Gold Cup and the commentator keeps refering to Mexico as El Tree, made me think what other stupid/weird nicknames are their for football teams or countries.
    It's not El Tree, it's El Tri, meaning Tri-Color. It just means the 3 colors on their flag and the colors they play in. Red, White, and Green
  • Riviera said:
    Riviera said:
    Gold Cup?

No football event has ever been referred to as The Gold Cup. The Cheltenham Gold Cup is the...Gold Cup, like The Open is The Open and not the British Open.
    Wrong this event is the Gold Cup.

When tbe Euros are on its not Uefa Euros, like the Gold Cup is not CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Google The Gold Cup and you see this event before Cheltenham
  • Rossman92 said:
    It's not El Tree, it's El Tri, meaning Tri-Color. It just means the 3 colors on their flag and the colors they play in. Red, White, and Green
    Ah makes sense, sounded like El Tree haha
  • Riviera said:
    Riviera said:
    Gold Cup?

When tbe Euros are on its not Uefa Euros, like the Gold Cup is not CONCACAF Gold Cup.

But that’s because it is on now if you googled that in February or March it would bring up the Cheltenham gold cup. 

Depends on your outlook but if you asked 100 people what the gold cup is a minimum of 90% would say a race at Cheltenham 
  • Riviera said:
    Gold Cup?

It’s called the haka.
    Eh?
  • Sponsored links:

• Tyne Cot
  • We might be familiar with it, but to an outsider Addicks must seem pretty weird. 
  • Riviera said:
    Riviera said:
    Gold Cup?

And the winner is Paulie, by a short nose