Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Saving Charlton Athletic thousands of pounds

Dear Mr Duchatelet 

At times of crisis, it it important for all parties - no matter their differences - to pull together to achieve a common goal.  So, it is in this spirit that I am offering to pledge my full support to your ongoing efforts to sell Charlton Athletic to a more competent owner.  

Certain information has come to public attention which offers fans like me the opportunity to demonstrate assistance in a practical and helpful way.  The notes from the most recent Fans' Forum meeting have now been published on the club's official site. https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d13da51e7567/update-from-last-nights-fans-forum. The club was represented by two senior officials, the Head of Communications and the Commercial Manager, so we can trust that they reflect accurately both financial information and the club's attitude to the same.  

The notes include some information provided by Lieven de Turck, the executive whose sole responsibility is to ensure the club is sold.  Those notes included the alarming information that each season ticket holder costs the clubs approximately £1,000. 

It is with this figure in mind that I have reached a conclusion in the aforementioned spirit of pulling together for a common goal.  If it is true that each season ticket holder costs the club £1,000, I hereby pledge not to be a season ticket holder.  And, to reinforce my commitment to the cause of selling the club, I will continue not being a season ticket holder while you continue to own, and ruin, my football club.  

Furthermore, I will not even charge you for this service.  You can keep the thousand quid.  Call it a cost saving.  You're welcome.  You can knock it off the asking price. 

I would still like to be a season ticket holder at my club.  So, the sooner you pull your scrawny little finger out and cut a deal to sell the club, the better.  

The more people that join the pledge not to be season ticket holders, the less money you will have to ask for the club and the sooner you can sell.  I am hoping that others will help you out, in the same spirit.  

Chizz 
The Save-A-Grand Club 

Comments

• Anyone else in?
  • Chizz said:
    Anyone else in?
    Sorry I've Already cost him a grand. 
    If only I'd known. 
  • Chizz said:
    Anyone else in?
    I didn't need him to tell me that I was costing him a grand a year to decide not to fund this goons madbrain ideas.
    The fact that he has always shown zero interest in producing a successful football club was good enough for me.
    I will happily fund the first owner who shows a genuine desire to be successful with everything I have saved over the past few seasons.
  • edited June 2019
    Well written Chizz.

Roland Duchatelet has divided this club into polar opposite camps with myself and others in the middle.

The boycotters who unfortunately for them lost 50% of their members for the last home game + Wembley and made the hash tag not a penny more seem daft.

The Season ticket holders who did every protest, slag off RD on a daily basis yet will spend money on food, drink and merchandise, which a % works it's way to the owner.

The Charlton fans in the middle ?

Gave up season tickets, either the season after RD took over or some time in last 5 years. Won't buy drinks or food in Stadium but the occasional coffee when running late is allowed. Believe that Duchatelet is and has been a corrosive influence on this club since day one and did every protest bar going to Belgium (some of the 20 may be in this middle group ?)

The Bowyer factor and his war cry to support the boys did dent the Boycotters.
    Had no effect on the folk who were already season ticket holders But seeing how many season tickets have been sold for 19/20 season has seduced many in the middle group to return. 

I'm still in the middle group and haven't bought a season ticket because I thought at the time I would wait for RD to leave and assess the new owner or consortium. I'm human and flawed so may still give in to temptation.(Kelly Brook where are you)

I accept there are sub sections of these 3 main groups, but my observations in talking to folk at the Valley and taking note of comment on CL lead me to this conculsion.

Ps. Folk who turn up for 90 minutes at the valley and don't care and hardly know who the owner is are not in any of the 3 groups obviously. I meant the obsessive fans like you and I. 

Yes you I'm talking too.
  • Have you printed it and mailed or emailed it to him?
    Not sure you'd get a reply but the hopeless old liar won't be reading it on this fine forum.
  • Chizz said:
    Dear Mr Duchatelet 

At times of crisis, it it important for all parties - no matter their differences - to pull together to achieve a common goal.  So, it is in this spirit that I am offering to pledge my full support to your ongoing efforts to sell Charlton Athletic to a more competent owner.  

Certain information has come to public attention which offers fans like me the opportunity to demonstrate assistance in a practical and helpful way.  The notes from the most recent Fans' Forum meeting have now been published on the club's official site. https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d13da51e7567/update-from-last-nights-fans-forum. The club was represented by two senior officials, the Head of Communications and the Commercial Manager, so we can trust that they reflect accurately both financial information and the club's attitude to the same.  

The notes include some information provided by Lieven de Turck, the executive whose sole responsibility is to ensure the club is sold.  Those notes included the alarming information that each season ticket holder costs the clubs approximately £1,000. 

It is with this figure in mind that I have reached a conclusion in the aforementioned spirit of pulling together for a common goal.  If it is true that each season ticket holder costs the club £1,000, I hereby pledge not to be a season ticket holder.  And, to reinforce my commitment to the cause of selling the club, I will continue not being a season ticket holder while you continue to own, and ruin, my football club.  

Furthermore, I will not even charge you for this service.  You can keep the thousand quid.  Call it a cost saving.  You're welcome.  You can knock it off the asking price. 

I would still like to be a season ticket holder at my club.  So, the sooner you pull your scrawny little finger out and cut a deal to sell the club, the better.  

The more people that join the pledge not to be season ticket holders, the less money you will have to ask for the club and the sooner you can sell.  I am hoping that others will help you out, in the same spirit.  

Chizz 
    The Save-A-Grand Club 
    Well i've saved him 3k so far with another 1k for the upcoming season FOUR fricking thousand & what do I get ? Nothing not even a thanks. Lets hope it won't stretch into 5k or I'll get really annoyed you old doucebag
  • Chizz said:
    Dear Mr Duchatelet 

Chizz 
    The Save-A-Grand Club 
    So, by saving him a grand, you are encouraging him to stay until he can sell up and then you’ll buy a season ticket to stuff the new owners with an extra £1k cost ?
  • There is one thing I do not understand and I never have understood in this whole season ticket ‘to buy or not to buy’ saga. It has probably been mentioned and answered elsewhere but I’ll say it anyway. 

If you do not buy a season ticket and boycott the Valley then that makes sense.

If you do not buy a season ticket but pick and choose your games and ultimately spend more than the cost of a season ticket then how is that hitting Roland in any way? Surely he is the winner? 

Am I missing something? 
  • I'm in.

I've invested my £1,000 in Melexis shares instead.

Smart eh!

• Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Anyone else in?
    I’ve cost him 3k - too late I’m afraid 
  • Excellent stuff Roland. Retrospective invoice goes in for last season's trips away will be imminent once I've collated tickets and train fares etc. That grand will be very handy. Just when you thought, etc.. 
  • 25May98 said:
    There is one thing I do not understand and I never have understood in this whole season ticket ‘to buy or not to buy’ saga. It has probably been mentioned and answered elsewhere but I’ll say it anyway. 

If you do not buy a season ticket but pick and choose your games and ultimately spend more than the cost of a season ticket then how is that hitting Roland in any way? Surely he is the winner? 

Am I missing something? 
    Good question and as that is what I do I will answer. It was the money up front 3 months before the season started that I wanted to stop. Was never about convenience or that I could end up paying more.

Since both my dad and brother gave up season tickets last season so I don't get 8 freebies a season any more. I just buy cheaper tickets and even sit in that cheaper area some times !
  • Chizz said:
    Anyone else in?
    Not a penny grand more! That's my mantra.
  • I’ve always said it...
  • I don’t know how much you lot earn an hour / used to earn an hour but if we added up all the hours we spend traveling to and from home and away matches, and watching matches over the years and turned it into a monetary sum .

Then added all the train tickets, petrol, food and match tickets as well as merchandise we’d bought surely we’d collectively have had enough to have bought Roland out?
  • Forgot to add time spent on messageboards, which if we were on a hourly rate would sure add up, Maybe AFKA and Lookie would be planning their intergalactic journeys with Richard Branson by now.
  • 25May98 said:
    There is one thing I do not understand and I never have understood in this whole season ticket ‘to buy or not to buy’ saga. It has probably been mentioned and answered elsewhere but I’ll say it anyway. 

Am I missing something? 
    I've said that loads of times and so have some others.
  • 25May98 said:

Am I missing something? 
    I've said that loads of times and so have some others.
    And it's been answered loads of times by others  ....... but some just wont listen