Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• hasn't anyone given Bows the weather forecast for Spain?
  • A pity that our squad are not in place to benefit.
  • I’m in Spain at the moment, might get a game.
  • Redrobo said:
    A pity that our squad are not in place to benefit.
    Plenty of 5-a-side

• hasn't anyone given Bows the weather forecast for Spain?
    Sticky Vickys has AC.
  • We always have this problem, where we set off abroad for team building and fitness work, without half our expected signings

But then as 2 of our best players Cullen and Bielik (plus Steer) came in after the season had started, maybe it doesn't matter
  • What about telling the fans that the game is on Thursday against Gaz Mentan - so we can make arrangements if we want to ?
  • edited June 2019
    What about telling the fans that the game is on Thursday against Gaz Mentan - so we can make arrangements if we want to ?

it's somewhere on the OS as I saw it (that we are playing them, no details of venue, ticket news, prices etc)
  • Do Gaz Mentan have a 5-a-side team? As that is all we will have by then.
  • We've borrowed the Sooty Mobile to transport the squad over. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019
    How many players are we actually taking out? Does this not have the potential to be quite demoralising to go away on a pre-season trip without enough players for a for squad?
  • With the “budget” we have I’m surprised the training camp isn’t at Sheerness!
  • Six a side will be good for the players
  • edited June 2019
    Williams should be on this trip unless he is training with another club. Ditto any released players not trailing with another club. Re-enforces the togetherness ethic and gives them a better chance of getting another club. Cheap airfare and hotel must be in budget. Better than six aside.
  • I will be there on Thursday. No boots though. 
  • Five years ago my son and I had a week in
    Fuengirola, which is a town in the Costa del Sol. We played two games in the Mijas hills and as I didn't have a hire car we got a bus and a taxi and found a small pitch in a golf complex. The first game was against a Gibralter XI, I think this ended up being a pub team and not the Gibraltar National Team. hazy memory on the score but Rumanian George scored a few minutes after coming on. JJ got a Bullet header and the young Gomez glided over the pitch from his own area and nearly scored down the other end. The second match was against a Second Division Portuguese team. I believe we won both matches but the funny thing was the ref thought I was Charlton's manager because I was practicing my Spanish with the groundsman. I was going to wing it but Bob Peeters  was standing nearby so I said I was the assistant manager and pointed at big Bob.

Happy days and Nod (his nickname) Pigott, Joe's Dad gave us a lift all the way back to Fuengirola.

Bob Peeters coaching team worked the players very hard and Solly who didn't play a game but spent a lot of time on the bike. 

Laurie Wilson was a smashing fella and yet this was early days and some of the foreign boys didn't speak good English. Nego's did manage to say " I no Full back" which was a surprise as Duchatelet wanted him to replace Chris Solly at RB. Morgan Fox or Joe Pigott can confirm this,that Nego saw himself as a midfielder.

Good fun being on tour with Cafc, and I would recommend taking boots along this time as you may get on the bench.

Do you have any programmes/teamsheets from the games?
  • Five years ago my son and I had a week in
    Fuengirola, which is a town in the Costa del Sol. We played two games in the Mijas hills and as I didn't have a hire car we got a bus and a taxi and found a small pitch in a golf complex. The first game was against a Gibralter XI, I think this ended up being a pub team and not the Gibraltar National Team. hazy memory on the score but Rumanian George scored a few minutes after coming on. JJ got a Bullet header and the young Gomez glided over the pitch from his own area and nearly scored down the other end. The second match was against a Second Division Portuguese team. I believe we won both matches but the funny thing was the ref thought I was Charlton's manager because I was practicing my Spanish with the groundsman. I was going to wing it but Bob Peeters  was standing nearby so I said I was the assistant manager and pointed at big Bob.

Happy days and Nod (his nickname) Pigott, Joe's Dad gave us a lift all the way back to Fuengirola.

Bob Peeters coaching team worked the players very hard and Solly who didn't play a game but spent a lot of time on the bike. 

Laurie Wilson was a smashing fella and yet this was early days and some of the foreign boys didn't speak good English. Nego's did manage to say " I no Full back" which was a surprise as Duchatelet wanted him to replace Chris Solly at RB. Morgan Fox or Joe Pigott can confirm this,that Nego saw himself as a midfielder.

Good fun being on tour with Cafc, and I would recommend taking boots along this time as you may get on the bench.

Do you have any programmes/teamsheets from the games?
    Unfortunately not, because unlike when you go to watch the U23 there wasn't even a printed out team sheet. There was a fair number of Charlton fans. Also a few ex-pat fans who now live and work in Spain and from memory half of the players were new to the club. The fact that Lee Bowyer has only one new player Bonne, at present means it's a totally different type of bonding this time as there was so many different nationalities that there was a lot of sign language going on !
    Seb Lewis and Sue Parkes + Hubby were there. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I assume the likes of Sarpong-Wiredo, Maynard-Brewer and Stephenson will make the trip to fill out the squad.

Worked well with Lapslie and Morgan last year.
  • Whereabouts are they going to in Spain for how long ?

• Sunday league teams turn up with bigger squads
  • Whereabouts are they going to in Spain for how long ?
    I think its Mijas. Not sure how long i would assume max 1 week
  • Avoiding sunstroke will be a priority 
  • SPF 55+ lads.
  • https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d1544ac010e1/charlton-to-face-gaz-metan-medias-in-pre-season-friendly

Playing Gaz Mentan behind closed doors next Thursday @ 7pm

Could be an interesting scoreline as Bowyer has told his players not to go if for any tackles
  • Good luck Seb Lewis, I'm sure it doesn't include you when they said behind closed doors.
    The golf course complex and Hotel was expensive 5 years ago for the 25 man squad that stayed in the Mijas hills on the Costa del sol.
    I would imagine this is in Benidorm on a public 5 a side pitch. The budget has taken a big hit since those halcyon days.