Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP Pernell Whitaker

One of the true legends of the boxing ring - gone at 55.

RIP Pernell

Comments

• Car accident I heard, rest in peace 
  • Damn not Sweet Pea 

proper great fighter back when the Americans ruled the world 

still think he beat Oscar but I think I may be in the minority

RIP my man you were lightening quick of hand and feet 

• Damn not Sweet Pea 

The De La Hoya fight was close and Oscar probably nicked it. Sweet Pea definitely beat Chavez though.
  • bobmunro said:
    Damn not Sweet Pea 

The De La Hoya fight was close and Oscar probably nicked it. Sweet Pea definitely beat Chavez though.

Was a fight where he would have had to have laid out Chavez mate one of boxing’s darkest results 

I will watch the Oscar fight back now bound to be on YouTube 

it was close but I think the golden boy had help that night I remember it being close but I had Sweet Pea up , 

Just seen he won at 4 Weights I only thought it was three just shows how good he was 
  • The sad thing is we leave it so late to takin about fighters like Sweet Pea and it’s only in their passing that we sit back and look at what they really were about 

if there’s one man with a lot to owe to Pernell it’s Floyd the Money Mayweather

i renewer his (Pernell) art of hitting and not being hit drew  me into him, the whole concept of the game is just that , but I forgot how much FMM must’ve studied Sweet Pea as at times they are identical , the movement of feet during the dance is mesmerizing only small slight movement but done so quickly so lightly he turned defense to attack , his hand speed at times is blurry it’s that fast.

truely was a great would’ve made so much money if his time was now 
  • RIP 
  • edited July 2019
    The sad thing is we leave it so late to takin about fighters like Sweet Pea and it’s only in their passing that we sit back and look at what they really were about 

if there’s one man with a lot to owe to Pernell it’s Floyd the Money Mayweather

i renewer his (Pernell) art of hitting and not being hit drew  me into him, the whole concept of the game is just that , but I forgot how much FMM must’ve studied Sweet Pea as at times they are identical , the movement of feet during the dance is mesmerizing only small slight movement but done so quickly so lightly he turned defense to attack , his hand speed at times is blurry it’s that fast.

truely was a great would’ve made so much money if his time was now 

Don't forget his stellar amateur career also.

Just imagine if you could wave a magic wand, D - Sweet Pea v Mayweather at welterweight, or Sweet Pea v Loma at lightweight. Chess games for sure but what spectacles they would be for the purist.