Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Which tablet for kids?

Thinking about getting a tablet for learning for my daughter. 

Just wondering which tablet is best? Kindle seems obvious, but not sure if it is waterproof.

Comments

• edited July 2019
    we replaced ipads with kindle fires for the kids, so much better, cheaper - more memory etc
  • edited July 2019
    Was that Kindles 7,8 or 10?
    Are any of the kindles waterproof? Not sure it's a feature on many tablets to be honest but may as well go all out at their prices. 
  • There are waterproof Kindles.  If you're thinking about getting one, check out Amazon today, as it's their Amazon Prime Day, where most Amazon stuff is on discount, e.g. today, a waterproof Kindle Paperwhite is £79.99 instead of £119.99. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Are the kindles waterproof? Not sure it's a feature on many tablets to be honest.
    pretty sure they aren't, although these days you can probably get waterproof cases, then again - being waterproof wasn't on our list of 'wants' to be honest
  • Recently bought my youngest daughter a Samsung Tab A 10.1 (2019) and it's superb (£199)

The eldest already has a tablet.

Even more recently I bought my youngest (boy) a more introductory tablet as he's not quite at school yet. Went for the Lenovo E10 and it's more than adequate for his needs (and my streaming if my daughters Samsung was squirrelled away). It was only about £80 as well.

• A sleeping one...?

Means you can have a nice relaxing evening ;)
  • I hate my kids kindles. The built in age related restrictions are far too draconian and the inclusive kids content is very limited (as are the 3rd party apps). 
  • I hate my kids kindles. The built in age related restrictions are far too draconian and the inclusive kids content is very limited (as are the 3rd party apps). 
    You can break them so you can load the Google Play Store and other Android apps/games:

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

• Sponsored links:

• How old is your daughter ?

Kindle kids has a lifetime replacement guarantee so a littlun dropping it and breaking the screen isnt a big deal.

The downside is you cant get youtube kids on it unless you get the google play store added like above.
  • Co-Codamol, knocks em out just long enough......................oh.
  • My eldest has a Lenovo Tab8, dies the job and reasonably priced. Worth getting a rubber case for it as well to absorb the drops!
  • half a cocodamol usually keeps the ankle biter quiet for four to six hours
    seems it's a popular remedy too...

seriously tho folks - any books available? jigsaws? lego? dolls? meccano? crayons and paper? toys? siblings or friends? heaven forbid parental interraction? 
  • Co-Codamol, knocks em out just long enough......................oh.
    Be careful with the dosage though Gerry...

seriously tho folks - any books available? jigsaws? lego? dolls? meccano? crayons and paper? toys? siblings or friends? heaven forbid parental interraction? 

Throwing technogy at kids to shut the up seems to be the modern way. We made the mistake of getting a console for my 8 year old last Christmas. His behaviour went downhill fast and it's got to the stage where we've taken it away indefinitely. He's been much better since he stopped playing Fortnite and has more time for bike rides and football with his friends/dad. 
  • edited July 2019
    half a cocodamol usually keeps the ankle biter quiet for four to six hours

Just spent last weekend on a cycling and camping trip, the only tech was my phone in my back pack for emergencies and my garmin. 

We had an amazing time, however I am going on holiday in a few weeks and it's a long flight, a kindle can hold books, learning materials, movies and games.

I also don't want her using my iPad as it's fragile and  not as easy to lock down. probably full of filth.

Ordered the 7 Purple, at £59.99 it's a decent deal according to the reviews, weirdly better than the 8!

Throwing technogy at kids to shut the up seems to be the modern way. We made the mistake of getting a console for my 8 year old last Christmas. His behaviour went downhill fast and it's got to the stage where we've taken it away indefinitely. He's been much better since he stopped playing Fortnite and has more time for bike rides and football with his friends/dad. 
    It's all about setting rules and boundaries... So I hear.

You have to move with the times. For me technology is amazing and will be the first choice way of learning for the future - Schools even hand out iPads to students now.

I intend to lock Rosa's Kindle down to an hour in the morning good for getting ready for work etc (For the holiday, she can have it when she gets restless and bored on the flights only). 

I used to despise parents letting their kids have phones/tablets at the dining table, then I realised if it keeps their kids from bothering me and my family, so go ahead. We don't do it and I'd like to think we won't start either. 
  • As your on android Dazzler I'd go with an android tablet, I got my son an android phone for Christmas and linked it to my Google account with the Google family link app and you can control everything on the child's device - screen time, apps installed, amount of time spent on a specific app etc plus alot of your apps will be automatically shared via the family library (not all are available for sharing). 

I don't think an Amazon tablet will allow the Family link app although it's technically and android tablet as it uses its own version, there might be some good Prime Day deals on android tablets today as it's prime day still.