Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dev Patel to play David Copperfield.

Let the discussion begin.

Interesting piece of casting - looking forward to the film.

Comments

• Chizz said:
    That's ridiculous.  I bet he's never even done any magic before. 
    Good point. 
  • Is he still banging Claudia Schiffer?
    Don't think Dev Patel ever did.
  • Let the discussion begin.

The most successful musical in a generation uses a diverse cast to play the characters, it's a massive non-issue.
  • Who's playing Tracey Ullman and Lenny Henry?
  • I’m, an amerrrrican
  • Rothko said:

The most successful musical in a generation uses a diverse cast to play the characters, it's a massive non-issue.
    That's exactly how I'd hope people would see it.
  • One of my favourite ever books - looking forward to it. Casting looks interesting and has taken a cue from theatre which for a long time has cast actors who are from very different backgrounds to the characters. Can't imagine that the kind of people who would get worked up about this have any actual interest in this film anyway.
  • One of my favourite ever books - looking forward to it. Casting looks interesting and has taken a cue from theatre which for a long time has cast actors who are from very different backgrounds to the characters. Can't imagine that the kind of people who would get worked up about this have any actual interest in this film anyway.
    Interesting discussion about the film on the radio today - very keen to see it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:

I doubt anyone who's seen Hamilton is arsed that Thomas Jefferson is played by an actor like Jason Pennycook (who is fucking brilliant in the role), they just enjoy the show, and this will be the same with this, and as Charlton Madrid says, those who will get a nark on, are the type who would never watch it anyway
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

I doubt anyone who's seen Hamilton is arsed that Thomas Jefferson is played by an actor like Jason Pennycook (who is fucking brilliant in the role), they just enjoy the show, and this will be the same with this, and as Charlton Madrid says, those who will get a nark on, are the type who would never watch it anyway
    Dickens is a very underrated author - his books give you a great insight into the issues and social fabric of the time.
  • don't know the Dickins what you lot are on about ...
  • My mum gave me a copy of David Copperfield when I was about 10. I'd like to stay it was the beginning of a love affair with the works of Charles Dickens, but I actually found it f**king boring. A Christmas Carol is the only Dickens book I've managed to finish. 
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

Dickens is a very underrated author - his books give you a great insight into the issues and social fabric of the time.

Is he really underrated? Generally regarded as one of the greatest novelists of all time. 

I think that's deserved. Although some of his novels are pretty awful (e.g Martin Chuzzlewit) others are sublime. Bleak House is my personal favourite.
  • What's your obsession with race @hoof_it_up_to_benty
    Forget all of Copperfields other tricks the fact that he managed that was his most impressive 
  • I have no strong feelings either way but on pure logic grounds what is the difference between a white actor 'blacking up' to play the role of a 'person of colour' (which is frowned upon) and a 'person of colour' playing a white person?
  • @LenGlover They're not 'whiting up' for one... 
  • Jints said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

Is he really underrated? Generally regarded as one of the greatest novelists of all time. 

I think that's deserved. Although some of his novels are pretty awful (e.g Martin Chuzzlewit) others are sublime. Bleak House is my personal favourite.
    I think he's a more significant author than given credit for - Bleak House is possibly his most underrated work. 

Far more in the shadow of Shakespeare than he deserves to be. Obviously my subjective view.

Dickens has grown on me as I've got older.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2019
    Nope not biting
  • I don’t think him playing David Copperfield will make the slightest difference.  He’s a good actor, certainly better than Daniel Radcliffe. The cast in anything Dickens has to have Dickens type faces, Alun Armstrong will be in there somewhere.
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

:|:neutral:
  • Danny Dyer in a remake of 'Gandhi' .. Ray (4 5 6)  Winstone as 'Martin Luther King'
  • my fav author . Just re read Great Expectations and Oliver Twist and The Dickens festival in Rochester is always a good day out
  • Reading Martin Chuzzlewit at the moment and it's pretty tough going - not his best but I am determined to persist. Favourites are probably Great Expectations, Tale of Two Cities and Hard Times. Dickens' characterisation is second to none.
  • Danny Dyer in a remake of 'Gandhi' .. Ray (4 5 6)  Winstone as 'Martin Luther King'
    One key difference between Ghandi & Martin Luther King and David Copperfield
  • Rothko said:

I reckon you kind of hoped some people would see it differently, hence starting this thread...
  • se9addick said:
    Rothko said:

I reckon you kind of hoped some people would see it differently, hence starting this thread...
    I was curious to see the response to this thread after the 007 thread and who responded. People seem far more open minded to an Asian actor playing David Copperfield than they do to a black actor or actress playing 007.  Maybe it's the audience?

• keep fishing something will have a go before long