Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dev Patel to play David Copperfield.

2»

Comments

• keep fishing something will have a go before long
    Don't have any fishing tackle.
  • My only issue with colour blind casting is that while I agree that non white actors need positive discrimination more than the other way round, it can affect your belief of the characters, hence it isn't generally done the other way round.

For example there was a Doctor Who episode last year set in 1948 partition India, dealing with the divide between the Hindu and Muslim communities. If they had used a white (and white looking) actor to play one of these "locals" it would have looked completely weird and massively distracted from the story.

Similarly if the BBC or Netflix did a major drama about Ming era China, I would expect the actors to be all Chinese unless playing a non Chinese character. 
  • You rascals
  • My only issue with colour blind casting is that while I agree that non white actors need positive discrimination more than the other way round, it can affect your belief of the characters, hence it isn't generally done the other way round.

For example there was a Doctor Who episode last year set in 1948 partition India, dealing with the divide between the Hindu and Muslim communities. If they had used a white (and white looking) actor to play one of these "locals" it would have looked completely weird and massively distracted from the story.

Similarly if the BBC or Netflix did a major drama about Ming era China, I would expect the actors to be all Chinese unless playing a non Chinese character. 
    There didn't seem to be much of an issue in the past with white actors 'blacking' up and disabled characters not being played by disabled actors. I would love to have seen a disabled actor get the lead role in 'My Left foot'.

In the case of Dickens and the London of the time it was ethnically diverse so personally it won't jar for me seeing Dev Patel in the role.

Hopefully the film will do well.
  • edited July 2019

Jean-Claude Van Damme is to play magician Paul Daniels in Martin Scorsese's new biopic, with Susan Boyle playing Debbie Magee his long term lover, assistant, and wife, as co-star.

There didn't seem to be much of an issue in the past with white actors 'blacking' up and disabled characters not being played by disabled actors. I would love to have seen a disabled actor get the lead role in 'My Left foot'.

In the case of Dickens and the London of the time it was ethnically diverse so personally it won't jar for me seeing Dev Patel in the role.

Hopefully the film will do well.
    Apart from the fact that this happened a long time ago, by "blacking up" it was an admission that visually it wouldn't work with a white actor playing it as a white actor.

I've no problem with Dev Patel in the role - I recently saw the recent New Vic production of Death of a Salesman with a largely black cast - just noting that it can sometimes affect the "realism" of the scenario. For example the recent ITV drama Beecham House, white people play white people and Indians play Indians, it would have been really odd with a colour blind cast
  • edited July 2019
    You were the first person to suggest race as being the problem in that thread, @hoof_it_up_to_benty .............
  • Chunes said:
    You were the first person to suggest race race as being the problem in that thread, @hoof_it_up_to_benty .............
    What's 'race race'?
  • Chunes said:
    You were the first person to suggest race race as being the problem in that thread, @hoof_it_up_to_benty .............
    What's 'race race'?
    It’s where you get all the different races that turn up to auditions to race for the part
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2019
    Avoiding the point at all costs, for the third time
  • Great news, I've declared myself officially not racist.
    I couldn't even work out why the question had been asked, until it became clearer reading the thread :smile:
  • seth plum said:

Jean-Claude Van Damme is to play magician Paul Daniels in Martin Scorsese's new biopic, with Susan Boyle playing Debbie Magee his long term lover, assistant, and wife, as co-star.

There is very little in that casting that i can agree with.  May i be the first yo object to it?
  • I'm confused. 

Is this a biopic of the magician 
    Or
    A Dickens remake? 
    Dickens 
  • seth plum said:

This whole post fails because you've omitted the obligatory 'the lovely' before Debbie Mcgee