Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Incredible Sporting Year - 2019

Have been incredibly busy travelling since our win at Wembley, but yesterday managed to sit down and watch 1) The whole play-off final and 2) The Cricket World cup final again. (BTW, in re-watching the play-off, it showed how well the unsung played that day, namely Dijksteel,Pratley and also Parker).

In watching the game and the of course the last few minutes which still brings a tear to my eye, it made me realise how incredible the sporting events have been this year...not just with us gaining promotion in such a dramatic fashion, but also thinking of the two incredible Champions League semi-finals.
Also, the amazing Cricket World Cup Final, which i'm sure will never be repeated again, certainly not in my lifetime.

What is left to come? (Ashes maybe) and is there anything else I've missed for this year?.

Comments

• Hopefully Hamilton winning the F1 championship 
  • Abu Dhabi became the first state to win the English domestic treble. 
  • Have been incredibly busy travelling since our win at Wembley, but yesterday managed to sit down and watch 1) The whole play-off final and 2) The Cricket World cup final again. (BTW, in re-watching the play-off, it showed how well the unsung played that day, namely Dijksteel,Pratley and also Parker).

In watching the game and the of course the last few minutes which still brings a tear to my eye, it made me realise how incredible the sporting events have been this year...not just with us gaining promotion in such a dramatic fashion, but also thinking of the two incredible Champions League semi-finals.
    Also, the amazing Cricket World Cup Final, which i'm sure will never be repeated again, certainly not in my lifetime.

What is left to come? (Ashes maybe) and is there anything else I've missed for this year?.
    Rugby World Cup - maybe, just maybe.
  • Doncaster semi of course.
  • I think something, or more likely many things happened in the mid to late 90s.  The success of Euro 96, lottery money, a general feel good in the country and a fair bit of luck to name a few.

But almost every governing body has "got its house in order" to some extent.  The level of English/British sporting success has been a phenomenon.  Olympic medals, World cups, Ashes victories, Ryder Cups, Davis Cup, grand slams, grand tours etc etc.

British sport was a joke in the 80s and 90s the last 20 years have been far from it.

Sorry, went off on a tangent, but yes it's been a great year so far, still 5 months to go as well. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I think something, or more likely many things happened in the mid to late 90s.  The success of Euro 96, lottery money, a general feel good in the country and a fair bit of luck to name a few.

But almost every governing body has "got its house in order" to some extent.  The level of English/British sporting success has been a phenomenon.  Olympic medals, World cups, Ashes victories, Ryder Cups, Davis Cup, grand slams, grand tours etc etc.

British sport was a joke in the 80s and 90s the last 20 years have been far from it.

Sorry, went off on a tangent, but yes it's been a great year so far, still 5 months to go as well. 
    As far as the Olympics go, I think the disastrous Atlanta Olympics, which saw Britain win just ONE gold medal, was the shock we needed to get that particular house in order. To great effect.

However, to my mind, the most spectacular transformation in British sport has been in cycling. Not only have we dominated in cycling in the olympics, but in the greatest traditional bike race, the Tour de France, No Briton had ever won in the first 109 years of the tour. In the 7 tours since breaking our duck, a Briton has won 6 times.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I think something, or more likely many things happened in the mid to late 90s.  The success of Euro 96, lottery money, a general feel good in the country and a fair bit of luck to name a few.

As far as the Olympics go, I think the disastrous Atlanta Olympics, which saw Britain win just ONE gold medal, was the shock we needed to get that particular house in order. To great effect.

However, to my mind, the most spectacular transformation in British sport has been in cycling. Not only have we dominated in cycling in the olympics, but in the greatest traditional bike race, the Tour de France, No Briton had ever won in the first 109 years of the tour. In the 7 tours since breaking our duck, a Briton has won 6 times.
    I think cycling is the one that has sparked the most wide spread public imagination and it has been amazingly.   But other sports have been comparable rowing, gymnastics, eventing, boxing (amateur), throwing your self down a mountain on a tea tray (can't remember what it's actually called)......