Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Big shame for such a famous old club. Been there a couple of times and it’s a decent away day.
  • Says in that article the owner expects an offer from an overseas consortium..  the owner would surely be better demanding the EFL buys them.

good luck to Notts C, great club, great history.
  • The owner Alan Hardy also owns the Nottinghamshire Golf and Country Club where my eldest is getting married in May. Getting a bit worried to be honest.
  • Good luck to them 
  • Decent club, hope it turns out well for them. 
  • Terrible times for them as they face exiting the football league for the first time ever
  • Been a horrible season for them; especially as they were meant to be favourites at the other end of the table
  • how often have clubs actually been wound up ? (DO NOT wind me up) .. there will be a last minute reprieve .. but it does look as though the reputed oldest league club will spend a while in the National League
  • Says in that article the owner expects an offer from an overseas consortium..  the owner would surely be better demanding the EFL buys them.

good luck to Notts C, great club, great history.

Let's hope they're not Australian!
  • Sponsored links:

• Or Belgian.
  • The crisis engulfing Notts County has taken a devastating turn as it emerged no takeover deal will be completed at Meadow Lane today.

Despite claims from chairman Alan Hardy the club would be handed over to new owners on Wednesday, Nottinghamshire Live understands no sale  is due to be finalised.

In what has been a dramatic  24 hours,  it has also emerged a consortium including Colin Dodd and convicted fraudster Alex May are still interested in buying the National League side, in a land-based acquisition deal.

That is despite knowing the City Council will refuse to deal with them, after May was revealed to be formerly known as Alick Kapikanya, who was jailed for six years for an elaborate mortgage scam in 2014.

Nottinghamshire Live understands one of the challenges facing the Dodd consortium is they are still seeking external investment to help fund their proposed purchase.

And in order for a deal to be completed, it is believed Hardy has  asked  a number of private individuals to write off loans they have in the club.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/new-information-latest-notts-county-3130620

• Such a shame for Notts County
  • edited July 2019
    Such a shame for Notts County
    Such a shame for (insert club of the month, here).
    I think this and Bolton are the tip of the iceberg. In the next financial downturn, smaller clubs across Europe are gonna go belly up. There won't be enough white knights to save even half of em.
  • Said it before and will say it again - they will still find a way through it. No matter how financially irresponsible clubs are, if they are in the top 4-5 divisions then they are seemingly indestructible. 
  • edited July 2019
    cafctom said:
    Said it before and will say it again - they will still find a way through it. No matter how financially irresponsible clubs are, if they are in the top 4-5 divisions then they are seemingly indestructible. 
    The data is definitely on your side. Between pressure on players to end contracts, lenders to take write-offs, some fans always showing up no matter what, and the fact no one wants to be blamed for a long-time institution from going under.... clubs are almost indestructible.
    What makes me wonder if "this time it is different" is....
    1. The gap between rich and poor clubs is so much more vast than previous decades
    2. With so many clubs breaching spending limits, FFP fines alone in coming years may sink some clubs outright
    3. I've read football attendances in England peaked a few years ago and outside the PL and Championship, they peaked a decade ago, so the success at the top masks increasing rot at the bottom
    4. Many stadiums need serious upgrades and new potential owners do not want to take over perpetual money-losing clubs that also face large future capital expenditures as well, which is many of them.
    5. The negativity of social media in general make it less fun to own a club for most rich people now. It has been said rich people buy football clubs for the adoration. I can't think of many popular owners anymore, even in the PL.
    6. The next generation seems to not to care much for playing sports, much less paying to see it in person. The future is probably watching streaming, which costs 10% of actually being there, with no effort. Most clubs will not be able to take the loss of revenue.
    7. If Brexit makes the pound drop, England will slowly cease to be the center of the sport, as they will be priced out of the best stars. This general loss of power will hurt the poorest clubs, worst, as I suspect the PL would simply refuse to share any revenue at all with lower leagues.
    8. The orgy of spending to get to the PL feels like a desperate gasp by most clubs, as if they know if they don't do it soon, they might never be able to. I suspect owners know something fans do not want to contemplate.
    9. I believe one day, the top clubs in Europe form a Super League. That act will destroy lower leagues across Europe.
    10. It's been 10 years since the last financial downturn. Debts across the globe have risen hundreds of percent. When the music ends, only the strongest survive. As Warren Buffett once said "It's not til the tide goes out that you see who was swimming naked."
    I just feel that looking in the rear view mirror and thinking "well, it's never happened before, so it won't happen now" will someday be proven incorrect. Dinosaurs dominated for 300 million years and then were wiped out in an instant. Some of the oldest financial institutions that survived the Great Depression went under in 2008 in an instant. Nothing is immune to change.
    There are so many more choices for entertainment than even 10 years ago. Even the biggest clubs have turned their backs on their fans and instead try to get tourists in the door, something most teams cannot do. I feel that global football, as a total entity is going through a last gasp of what it "use to be." When the 60 to 70-year olds who went with their dads to their matches as part of a "father-son" rite of passage die-out, very few new ones will be there to take their places. And kids, with their love of being "hip" will choose a big club, even if their dads liked Club X. How will all these clubs losing 2x their turnover/year with 1,000-3,000 per match attendances, continue in light of all this? How many sugar daddies are really out there? Honestly, without a billionaire owner, it's hard to stay up in The Championship nowadays. It says a lot to me that the only bidder right now for football's oldest club is a criminal.
    I guess I see this as the sunset of the romantic times where every town has a viable club because the economics simply won't support it. I think in 10-15 years there will be a closed European Super League with no relegation, similar to the NFL. England will have it's Premier League (which will essentially become a second division), with maybe 2 teams relegated per season. Then a Championship. And a closed League One comprised of the most stable teams left over. And that will be about it. It seems politically impossible now, but things change when the economy drops like a stone. We will see in coming years. Just my opinion! Hope I am wrong.

• there will be a 'last minute rescuer', there always is when a football club, no matter how indebted, hits rock bottom
  • edited July 2019

Notts County: Alan Hardy says Danish consortium's takeover is complete

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48282230
  • Sponsored links:

• They were put up for sale in January. Only took 7 months.....

Makes you weep

Makes you weep

Bought out of admin, effectively.  The difference between us and the likes of Newcastle, Coventry, Newcastle and Blackburn and the likes of Notts County, Bury and Bolton is they aren't distressed sales.  As much as the fans want former clubs sold the owners won't sell them unless they get what they want.  They are rich enough to hold out. 
  • edited July 2019
    Takeover of Notts County completed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48282230

Makes you weep

I hear they were bought for £1 plus assumption of debts owed to government, 2 months wages for staff and money owed to Puma.
  • Juventus had offered to help Notts County out with their kit problem (the latter are wearing last season's kit as they cant afford to pay Puma for the new designs)

This done of course in return for Notts County helping out Juventus all those years ago which is how they've shared the same colours

http://www.sportbible.com/football/news-juventus-offered-to-give-notts-county-a-kit-in-brilliant-gesture-20190727

Unfortunately a deal cant be done as Juventus are with Adidas whilst Notts County are with Puma, still a bloody good gesture from Juve though!!
  • Juventus had offered to help Notts County out with their kit problem (the latter are wearing last season's kit as they cant afford to pay Puma for the new designs)

This done of course in return for Notts County helping out Juventus all those years ago which is how they've shared the same colours

http://www.sportbible.com/football/news-juventus-offered-to-give-notts-county-a-kit-in-brilliant-gesture-20190727

Unfortunately a deal cant be done as Juventus are with Adidas whilst Notts County are with Puma, still a bloody good gesture from Juve though!!
    The cynic in me thinks they new it would be inpossible due to them being with Adidas and Notts County Puma, so they said they would help knowing they cant to get good publicity with no cost
  • Watched the new owner's press conference. Moneyball types. Own a football data company in Belgium. Sound level-headed. Doubt they have much money. I figure Notts will be right back in this very same place in 1-2 years, unfortunately.
  • Just a reminder that Juventus wear black and white stripes because they were given a Notts Cty kit back in 1905 … the local Notts MP has written to Juve asking them to return the favour as County is sooooo skint and in huge financial trouble

This and other stories are in a very good article from Saturday's 'Times' .. 'Historic clubs being driven into the dirt .. yet game does nothing' .. 
  • This is how bizarre football has become 
    Players on 1 million a week and clubs like this cant afford to pay the tea lady