Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

La Liga 2019/2020

Comments

• 7-1 Atletico
  • Finished 7-3
  • Strong rumours about James Rodriguez going to Atletico as well. They could have a fantastic team this year and hopefully really push for the title.
  • Strong rumours about James Rodriguez going to Atletico as well. They could have a fantastic team this year and hopefully really push for the title.
    I posted about James to Atleti a couple of weeks back on the Serie A thread.
    Ancelotti seemed to suggest he was set to sign for Napoli but James said he and his family were happy in Madrid and wanted to push for Atletico.

The first few months will be very interesting there as they’ve had such a turn around of players. Losing the spine of your team is never a good thing but Atleti seem to have spent really well.
    would love to see them have a real go this year
  • Couldnt have happened to a nicer team
  • edited July 2019
    Arguments between the Spanish authorities and La Liga about games being played on Fridays/Mondays. It’s very difficult planning trips to Spain for football with how they plan their fixtures. Surely they should look at confirming KO times further in advance than cutting it down to just 2 days for each weekends games
  • Definitely agree they need to be clearer about what day and what time games are on further in advance. It's really frustrating planning to watch a game when you only find out the day and hours a couple of weeks before. It's all at the whims of the TV company.
  • Macronate said:
    Pah!

Aneke
    Bonne Taylor Harriott
    :Image result for terrifying gif
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Macronate said:
    Pah!

Aneke
    Bonne Taylor Harriott
    :Image result for terrifying gif
    We looked threatening for about 2 or 3 minutes on Saturday when our front four was

Taylor
    Williams   Aneke   Harriott

:smiley:
  • https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-30/spain-s-la-liga-without-u-k-broadcaster-as-season-start-looms

Paying the price, I think, for taking a bigger fee last year from a company that only broadcasts online (Eleven), rather than an established broadcaster with a large established audience (Sky). Eleven have now demonstrated that there's very little money to be made from broadcasting La Liga in the UK, unless you can bundle it in with something else attractive (Premier League for example) and make it easily accessible (i.e. not online subscription only).

Hope they can resolve this. If they really are determined to grow the brand (I hate that phrase), they should let ITV have it for whatever they're willing to pay (on the understanding that ITV will heavily promote it) and maximise their exposure. 

Think they should put less effort into follies like trying to stage games in the US, and more of their efforts into finding ways to fill their stadiums and promote the league as a whole by generating interest in the other clubs - all of their promotion seems to be based on 2 El Clasicos and the opportunity to watch the big 2 giving Eibar or Leganes a thrashing every weekend.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrLargo said:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-30/spain-s-la-liga-without-u-k-broadcaster-as-season-start-looms

Paying the price, I think, for taking a bigger fee last year from a company that only broadcasts online (Eleven), rather than an established broadcaster with a large established audience (Sky). Eleven have now demonstrated that there's very little money to be made from broadcasting La Liga in the UK, unless you can bundle it in with something else attractive (Premier League for example) and make it easily accessible (i.e. not online subscription only).

Hope they can resolve this. If they really are determined to grow the brand (I hate that phrase), they should let ITV have it for whatever they're willing to pay (on the understanding that ITV will heavily promote it) and maximise their exposure. 

Think they should put less effort into follies like trying to stage games in the US, and more of their efforts into finding ways to fill their stadiums and promote the league as a whole by generating interest in the other clubs - all of their promotion seems to be based on 2 El Clasicos and the opportunity to watch the big 2 giving Eibar or Leganes a thrashing every weekend.
    Dont u mean big 3.

Or do you mean Atletico and Barca, cos based on last season and the past week where Real have lost 7-3 to Atletico and 1-0 to Spurs, you cant say Real are that much better than Atletico and could have a tougb season ahead
  • Atletico also finished ahead of Real the last two seasons. With Joao Felix, Morata, Diego Costa and possibly James Rodriguez they should be a force to reckon with next season.
  • MrLargo said:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-30/spain-s-la-liga-without-u-k-broadcaster-as-season-start-looms

Whilst i fully agree with that you've said, i wonder if the opposite is true?

I can't imagine too many Spaniards and other fans worldwide sit down excitedly to watch Brighton v Norwich for example, and i assume that many only tune in to watch games involving our top 6. Does anyone know where you can get viewing figures for live sky games?
  • MrLargo said:

Dont u mean big 3.

Or do you mean Atletico and Barca, cos based on last season and the past week where Real have lost 7-3 to Atletico and 1-0 to Spurs, you cant say Real are that much better than Atletico and could have a tougb season ahead
    I'm talking about how's it's marketed, which is all centred around Barcelona and Real Madrid - I totally agree that Atletico are an excellent side, and the most likely challengers to Barca next season, but when they were trying to get a game play in the states last year, it was only ever going to be a game featuring either Barca or Real. And when Eleven Sports were trying to attract subscribers when they got the rights last season, it was all about "this is where you can watch El Clasico" with very little about all of the other good stuff that league has got to offer. It's promoted in the same way that someone would promote the SPL (i.e. it's all about Rangers and Celtic) but, unlike the SPL, there's a lot of marketable clubs beneath the big 2 in Spain.
  • edited July 2019
    MrLargo said:

I can't imagine too many Spaniards and other fans worldwide sit down excitedly to watch Brighton v Norwich for example, and i assume that many only tune in to watch games involving our top 6. Does anyone know where you can get viewing figures for live sky games?
    Brighton vs Norwich - agreed, not going to capture a huge international audience, although the fact that it'll be played in front of a full or near-full stadium makes it a much more watchable spectacle.

However, where the Premier League is so successful is that matches such as Everton vs West Ham or Newcastle vs Villa will attract international audiences. I would put the likes of Real Betis, Celta Vigo, Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad (and Deportivo La Coruna, if they get can get back up) as comparable clubs with good support and a very marketable history of either trophy success or qualification for Europe (not forgetting Valencia and Sevilla above the aforementioned). Those clubs don't seem to get pushed into the limelight at all. The Premier League is also very good at hyping up the death or glory of relegation battles, they don't seem to push that side of it in Spain either.

I think part of the problem is that, for UK broadcasts at least, the coverage basically starts at kick-off and finishes at full time. You have to be a real enthusiast to get to know the players, managers and back story behind each club. When they broadcast the Premier League in the US (and elsewhere internationally I believe), they get pretty much the same build up as we do with Sky and BT, so viewers feel like Everton vs West Ham is a big game because they've had two hours of Robbie Earle or Curbs or Keys and Gray or whoever telling them that it's a big game, who the key players are, what the fallout could be etc.

As I said before, I hate all the international branding nonsense that goes with football these days, but if you must do it then at least do it well.
  • Good point about the difference in the coverage. Half time here is basically fifteen minutes of adverts! Very little pre or post-match analysis.
  • MrLargo said:

Lots of good links and figures in the thread following this tweet

• La Liga and ITV agree a last minute deal for ITV to show 1 game a week but the deal only in place for the first 3 weeks (until international break)

they hope to finalise a deal for the rest of the season between now and then.

this deal was rushed to be ready for the season starting this week

first game on itv4 is Friday night, Bilbao vs Barca 
  • Wish sky would get it back. There coverage was class. Showed every game almost 
  • Decent preview here:

BBC News - Is Neymar coming back? Will there be a Real Madrid revival? La Liga's big questions
  • Sponsored links:

• Hazard injured in training today and could miss the first 3-4 weeks of the season.

Looks like Bale and James Rodriguez might now get a look in.
  • Yes Bilbao!
  • Cracking goal from the 38 year old!
  • All the talk has been about the Madrid clubs this year, both teams going through major rebuilds. 
    But Barca are certainly not where they want to be either though.

Its a big IF but if they gel quickly Atlético could make a real push for the title this year imo
  • All the talk has been about the Madrid clubs this year, both teams going through major rebuilds. 

Its a big IF but if they gel quickly Atlético could make a real push for the title this year imo
    Barca will be fine.

Bilbao is a tough place to go and they were without Messi, Coutinho, Vidal, Arthur and Busquets. Plus Suarez went off injured too. They could also still get Neymar back.

Barca will be fine.

Bilbao is a tough place to go and they were without Messi, Coutinho, Vidal, Arthur and Busquets. Plus Suarez went off injured too. They could also still get Neymar back.
     Off to Bayern

Barca will be fine.

Don’t get me wrong, Barca are a great team.
    my comments were not based on tonight’s game, I hadn’t even seen the result when I posted that comment. Was more of a general point that all the focus has been on Madrid.
  • Great cross from Tripper to set up Atletico's goal for Morata too.

https://twitter.com/Sachk0/status/1163185756975689728