Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Decline in individual player shirt sponsorship

edited August 2019 in General Charlton
There was a time when Charlton Life alone sponsored 7 or 8 shirts a season.

It was a good way for ordinary fans who wouldn't or couldn't pay several hundred pounds to take part for £10.

The shirts and the dinner places were allocated by a lottery and was a big social get together for Lifers.

Nearly every player would have at least one sponsor.

Looking at yesterday's programme I was shocked by how poor the take up is this season so far.

I know why and fully support the boycott but of 72 available shirts (home, away and third for each player) only five had been sold by the time the programme went to print.

Those with no sponsors include Bowyer, Jacko, Solly and Taylor.

Only Philips, Pearce (2), Sarr and Williams have a sponsor.

Maybe more will be sold soon but I found it sad that there is now such a disconnect while being glad that fans are protesting with their wallets.

Look forward to the time when CL can start sponsoring shirts again when Duchatelet has gone.

Comments

• Never understood this.

Unless the club is absolutely on it's uppers it makes no sense at all.
  • 72 x £700 (my guess) is £50,400

Not life changing but it's a boost to commercial income.
  • Reduces RD’s costs?

in that case, I am 100% out as I will not put money in his pocket. 
  • Presumably Leuth sponsors Sarr's. 
  • Talal said:
    Presumably Leuth sponsors Sarr's. 
    My first thought also 😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Would be interesting if someone could do a comparison between clubs of the number of shirts sponsored across the division.  Bet ours would be lowest for obvious reasons.
  • A home kit sponsorship buys Roland a family lunch and a new pair of shoes; sponsor all three kits and you can pay for an entire dancing event at Stayen for Roland and his stooges.

I'm not advocating the sponsorship, I'm glad it is being boycotted.

As Stig says it's a measurable indicator of support.
  • @AFKABartram would it be interesting and feasible for Charlton Life to have its own player shirt sponsorship?  

How it could work is that players' shirts (home, away, third) could be "sold" off to Lifers for, say £50, £40 and £30, respectively.  In return the sponsor could have their name - or the name of a business - attached to the player on, for example, a sticky thread.  This could also include a URL to a sponsor's website/Facebook page/Twitter account.  

The revenue generated could then be donated to a nominated charity at the end of the season (e.g. the Upbeats or Demelza), with a deduction to cover some of CL's running costs and admin. 
  • There are more but it’s not sorted in the program yet as it was only sorted in the last couple of weeks.
    Lyles agent has got his home shirt, but we have his away kit but glad Dill’s one got exposure yesterday as that’s us too . Next home game I expect it will be a bit clearer
  • Talal said:
    Presumably Leuth sponsors Sarr's. 
    Not Pratley then? ;-)

• Look forward to the time when CL can start sponsoring shirts again when Duchatelet has gone.
    Yep, and it won’t be happening until a regime change.
    The ladies/women’s team shirts?
  • Plenty of people queuing to get in the club shop after the game yesterday so I do wonder how much a lack of kit sponsorship is against the owner and how much is that it is jut a bit dated now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Plenty of people queuing to get in the club shop after the game yesterday so I do wonder how much a lack of kit sponsorship is against the owner and how much is that it is jut a bit dated now.
    Yes, it seems like something that was big 20 years ago, but has become less fashionable over the years. Indeed until I saw it in the programme yesterday, I'd forgotten that it still happened as last year there was no player sponsorship page in the programme
  • edited August 2019
    Plenty of people queuing to get in the club shop after the game yesterday so I do wonder how much a lack of kit sponsorship is against the owner and how much is that it is jut a bit dated now.
    Yes, it seems like something that was big 20 years ago, but has become less fashionable over the years. Indeed until I saw it in the programme yesterday, I'd forgotten that it still happened as last year there was no player sponsorship page in the programme
    Was there an end of season sponsors meal?

Table for two. Swisdom and Roland and a Pot Noodle with two forks.
  • Off_it said:
    Plenty of people queuing to get in the club shop after the game yesterday so I do wonder how much a lack of kit sponsorship is against the owner and how much is that it is jut a bit dated now.
    Was there an end of season sponsors meal?

Table for two. Swisdom and Roland and a Pot Noodle with two forks.
    No sponsorship last season.
  • Why doesn't CL sponsor shirts for the Women's Team?  Kit sponsorship for the Women's team is £250 + VAT.  Perimeter boards are £500+VAT.  Heck, we could sponsor a CL perimeter board (if it's not already done) or auction to a lucky small business.
    I'm in
  • I agree 100% with CL's boycott of this scheme while RD remains owner.  It may not be financially significant for RD, but it is another way that we as a fanbase can demonstrate it is more than the fabled 2% and a handful of disgruntled ex-employees who are opposed to his continuing ownership.

However, far from being an outdated concept, I think in principle it is an excellent way for fans to demonstrate their support for, and confidence in, individual players.  For example I understand a Bristol Rovers fans forum sponsored Lockyer's shirt ever since he started playing for them, and this must surely be a boost especially for a young player breaking into the first team.
  • N01R4M said:
    I agree 100% with CL's boycott of this scheme while RD remains owner.  It may not be financially significant for RD, but it is another way that we as a fanbase can demonstrate it is more than the fabled 2% and a handful of disgruntled ex-employees who are opposed to his continuing ownership.

However, far from being an outdated concept, I think in principle it is an excellent way for fans to demonstrate their support for, and confidence in, individual players.  For example I understand a Bristol Rovers fans forum sponsored Lockyer's shirt ever since he started playing for them, and this must surely be a boost especially for a young player breaking into the first team.
    Exactly how I feel.

I don't blame Swisdom or other fans who sponsor shirts just as I don't blame fans who buy season tickets or shirts in the shop.  It's their choice just as it is mine not to do so.

I was just surprised at how poor the take up has been, albeit slightly out of date.

Didn't even realise that there hadn't been any sponsorship last season. That seem bizarre as the club were making silly cuts while not taking in easy money.  Another indicator of how incompetent De Turck is and how poorly the club (away from Sparrows Lane) in managed and led.

I think the women's shirt sponsorship is an excellent idea.  I'm in for £10 (yeah, last of the big spenders I know).
  • Sponsorship the womens team makes far more sense... Roland or no roland. 
  • shine166 said:
    Sponsorship the womens team makes far more sense... Roland or no roland. 
    Why? I have no interest in the women's team, and judging by the season ticket price (£45??) neither do many others.
  • wasn't the sponsors dinner abandoned which may have been a symptom of the drop off if not a cause?