Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• edited August 2019
    Thanks Ben/Steve. Great to be able to catch-up on this.
  • I really enjoyed reading that article.

I was particularly interested to read * Here, the upstairs ceilings were repaired in a distinctive style using large sheets of plasterboard joined with timber battens, which are still there to this day and which serve as my own private war memorial." because as a child in the 1950s-60s I remember visiting a number of my parents' friends' homes whose living room ceilings were exactly as described, and I had never associated that in my mind with blast damage
  • Really enjoyed reading that. Just wish I'd been fitter so I could have been there on the evening! Thanks for posting.
  • I used to work for Delta cable in Victoria Way, during the war it was owned by Johnson & Phillips, they were targeted as they were working on Operation Pluto.
  • Really interesting article. Thanks.
  • We wanted to go to this. I didn't put a date in my diary as thought there would be a reminder on here!  :(
  • We wanted to go to this. I didn't put a date in my diary as thought there would be a reminder on here!  :(
    We did bump it but admin neglected to give it a sticky.
  • Very interesting, thank you for posting.

Particularly taken by the reference to 55 Floyd Road being destroyed by a bomb. That was the address to which my Grandad returned after being demobbed in 1919, and where my Dad was born in 1924. Thankfully, the family had moved out before the start of WW2!