Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Just giving for vandalised London taxis

Carl Ross has started a just giving page to raise £1000 for black cabs that were vandalised in France last week taking DDay veterens to the commerate day. I am in wandered if anybody else wanted to contribute. 

Comments

• First time I've heard about this, bad
  • Unbelievable. Looks like the French have their share of arseholes as well.
  • Did the same last year apparently.. Hence why the taxis were left in an open public car park, but still happened again. 
  • Why would they vandalise the taxis?
  • se9addick said:
    Why would they vandalise the taxis?
    We had a mirror kicked off while parked at a hotel just outside Rouen a few years ago, we put it down to UK registration plates at the time (we were on holiday before living here) as it was only motor that had been touched.
  • Obviously someone doesn't like us. 
  • All countries have arseholes
  • se9addick said:
    We had a mirror kicked off while parked at a hotel just outside Rouen a few years ago, we put it down to UK registration plates at the time (we were on holiday before living here) as it was only motor that had been touched.
    Should have started a JustGiving page.
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:
    se9addick said:
    Should have started a JustGiving page.
    People like me don't qualify for that sort of thing mate
  • Money exceeded and I think now closed, well done to anyone who contributed.
  • Must admit, i work with a lot of French people, and i can honestly say, without exception (well, maybe one or two), that they have been very welcoming,friendly and open to me. So much so, that i have made 3 or 4 French friends for life.
    So, as someone else says, its not typical of the French to have an anti-Anglais attitude, but there are arseholes everywhere.
  • se9addick said:
    How do you know that it was kicked off ? Could it have been another cause ? 
  • edited August 2019
    se9addick said:
    Whilst driving through France 3 years ago we were on motorway in Northern France. Whilst driving along at 70 on inside lane, a VW van cut into our lane whilst honking it's horn, forcing us onto the hard shoulder. To say it shit me up is an understatement. Had kids in the car. I'd been on motorway for a few hours so pretty unlikely I'd just cut somebody up. Only thing I could think was GB badge on the rear bumper. We nearly crashed as a result. In that moment I struggled to decide whether to retaliate or be cool. I was coolish as wife said, let it go. I was scared and fuming all at same time. 

• edited August 2019
    I have worked in France for 30 years and have never been shown anything but kindness from the French people I have met, occasionally I have encountered rudeness and petty crime but no more than at home. It does help to attempt to speak their language, if only a Bonjour or Merci. 
  • Must admit, i work with a lot of French people, and i can honestly say, without exception (well, maybe one or two), that they have been very welcoming,friendly and open to me. So much so, that i have made 3 or 4 French friends for life.
    So, as someone else says, its not typical of the French to have an anti-Anglais attitude, but there are arseholes everywhere.
    I'd agree with that.  I know two french fellas on a social level and two I worked with all have been lovely.  You couldn't wish to meet nicer fellas actually.  My wife also worked for a Frenchman for a couple of years.  He's almost family now as he lived with us for 3 months after his wife had kicked him out and he ended up in the priory with a breakdown with nowhere to go!  We couldn't see him go without help especially after what he had done for my wife.  Its lovely when he comes over to us for dinner and he speaks French with our teenage daughter.  I always had this opinion while growing up that the French were bloody awful but all five of them have put that well and truly to bed.  All of them are nothing but complimentary about England and the English. 
  • I think most British people have an opinion of the French formed around a weekend in Paris (Parisiens are notoriously rude - on a par with Londoners and New Yorkers) and visiting hypermarkets in Calais (when was the last time the cashier at Tesco gave you a smile and indulged in small talk?)

French people I've met have generally been as friendly as people from any other country
  •  Xenophobic nutters everywhere. Some more extreme than others.

Stanwell Tesco stabbing: 'Far-right' knifeman admits attack https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-49369683
  • Sponsored links:

• I quite like the cheese eating surrender monkeys.
  • Addickted said:
    I quite like the cheese eating surrender monkeys.
    Yeah, agree.
     However, when they start doing the man-kissing , it does makes me cringe a bit.

• Addickted said:
    Yeah, agree.

Avec langues?
    I've done 5 motoring holidays to France since 2013 and never had a problem always found the French to be welcoming towards us though speaking a little French does help. Done a trip for a month to Spain (again driving) in 2017 and again no problems.
  • Solidgone said:
    Addickted said:
    Yeah, agree.

Avec langues?
    Tongue sandwich.
  • In my office, a building of 6 floors, with a total of approx 240 people, i am the only Anglophone. There is a general mix of 40 per cent French,40 per cent Belgian,10 per cent Portuguese (because of Lux's relationship with Portugal) and the other 10 being an eclectic mix as only Luxembourg can provide. My experience of being here for 2 and a half years, is the only problems i have had have generally been with the Belgies, with my (Belgie) boss being Bi-Polar not helping.However,also, in saying that, one of my best mates here is Belgian (he even came to the Doncaster away semi last season, and now follows our results) - and his name is Roland.

• In my office, a building of 6 floors, with a total of approx 240 people, i am the only Anglophone. There is a general mix of 40 per cent French,40 per cent Belgian,10 per cent Portuguese (because of Lux's relationship with Portugal) and the other 10 being an eclectic mix as only Luxembourg can provide. My experience of being here for 2 and a half years, is the only problems i have had have generally been with the Belgies, with my (Belgie) boss being Bi-Polar not helping.However,also, in saying that, one of my best mates here is Belgian (he even came to the Doncaster away semi last season, and now follows our results) - and his name is Roland.

Didn’t realise there was a close relationship between Luxembourg and Portugal - seems really random, what’s the history there?
  • se9addick said:

In my office, a building of 6 floors, with a total of approx 240 people, i am the only Anglophone. There is a general mix of 40 per cent French,40 per cent Belgian,10 per cent Portuguese (because of Lux's relationship with Portugal) and the other 10 being an eclectic mix as only Luxembourg can provide. My experience of being here for 2 and a half years, is the only problems i have had have generally been with the Belgies, with my (Belgie) boss being Bi-Polar not helping.However,also, in saying that, one of my best mates here is Belgian (he even came to the Doncaster away semi last season, and now follows our results) - and his name is Roland.

Didn’t realise there was a close relationship between Luxembourg and Portugal - seems really random, what’s the history there?

At the end of WWII, Lux, like most of Europe, was looking to rebuild its infrastructure, and needed labour from outside, so, whereas UK looked towards the Commonwealth and Ireland, Lux looked to recruit from another catholic country and Portugal was chosen. Some 30 per cent of Lux population has Portuguese heritage, and you hear Portuguese spoken everywhere - probably even more so than Luxembourghish.