Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lines across the pitch

what was that all about?

Comments

• One is the halfway line, the others touchlines and yard boxes.

They denote areas of play mate.
  • Don’t think the pitch looks pristine this season 
  • Don’t think the pitch looks pristine this season 
    Maybe it’s helping us - we’ve picked up seven points from three games on it
  • Noticed that on the tv, thought it must my eyes or a dodgy reception here in Bangalore. 
  • Lol......let’s get all the sarcasm out of the way before you get the answer you are actually looking for.  :#
  • I read somewhere that The groundsman (Nathan?) said there had been some infection in the pitch due to the weather. Other grounds have experienced it as well. 
  • Well the lines looked to be every 6 yards so were deliberate. 
  • Well the lines looked to be every 6 yards so were deliberate. 
    Yes, I was wondering what they were there for myself. Perfectly good question deserving more than the stupid sarcastic answers from a couple of posters, and we still seem to be none the wiser!
  • Oh no.....the deadly ‘6 yards virus’ has struck!
  • Sponsored links:

• Sitting in the East it looked like markings for Rugby .....every 15 /20 yards or so. Perhaps its RD's new money making venture & we playing Rugger too. 
  • I read somewhere that The groundsman (Nathan?) said there had been some infection in the pitch due to the weather. Other grounds have experienced it as well. 
    Yeah I seem to remember the Cardiff groundsman talking about their pitch suffering with infections and Nathan said ours was the same. Early August I think that was. 
  • The lines were on the joins between directional cuts (the stripes). They looked like drainage lines that often show up on cricket grounds in dry weather but the pattern doesn't look right for that. I'm not sure what caused them to appear since Wednesday (maybe direct sunlight shows them up).
  • I would be interested to know what is the problem as I think I might have the same problem with my grass in my back garden. The front lawn is lush but the back has dead patches. I treat both the same.
  • Simonsen said:
    The lines were on the joins between directional cuts (the stripes). They looked like drainage lines that often show up on cricket grounds in dry weather but the pattern doesn't look right for that. I'm not sure what caused them to appear since Wednesday (maybe direct sunlight shows them up).
    Yes it looked like someone had marked out the pitch to show where the stripes needed to be, and that the markings had then not been removed!

I noticed the same thing watching the tennis (Wimbledon) in July on one of the courts
  • It's either Microdochium Patch or Red Thread.
  • Simonsen said:
    The lines were on the joins between directional cuts (the stripes). They looked like drainage lines that often show up on cricket grounds in dry weather but the pattern doesn't look right for that. I'm not sure what caused them to appear since Wednesday (maybe direct sunlight shows them up).
    Yes it looked like someone had marked out the pitch to show where the stripes needed to be, and that the markings had then not been removed!

I noticed the same thing watching the tennis (Wimbledon) in July on one of the courts

Most groundsmen normally do that with just a small paint mark here and there.
  • Sitting in the East it looked like markings for Rugby .....every 15 /20 yards or so. Perhaps its RD's new money making venture & we playing Rugger too. 
    Maybe it is in preperation for Millwall when they come to the Valley!
  • I would be interested to know what is the problem as I think I might have the same problem with my grass in my back garden. The front lawn is lush but the back has dead patches. I treat both the same.

Does the back lawn see more sunlight? If so, it's probably last year's hot weather that has killed it. I've played on several cricket outfields this year that literally died last year and haven't recovered.....they've just turned to dust. My own outfield only recovered because we re-seeded it 100% this spring.
  • Sponsored links:

• what was that all about?
    I wondered that.  Thought at first they were markings for American football, then I wondered if they were indentations caused by the wheels of something or maybe the pipes from our under soil heating system just crying out to be connected to the boiler. 

Proves one thing, there's a lot going on in my poor bald head, but as Mum used to say, 'Grass doesn't grow on a busy street.'  
  • There was a big bare patch in the penalty box in front of Covered End.
    Rugby pitches only have a half way line, two 25 yard box lines, two end zone lines and two dead ball lines.
  • There was a big bare patch in the penalty box in front of Covered End.
    I put that down to the practice goal being out twice in quick succession but could be wrong.
  • LenGlover said:
    There was a big bare patch in the penalty box in front of Covered End.
    I put that down to the practice goal being out twice in quick succession but could be wrong.
    You are correct
    If I were you, I'd get up on the roof.