Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The next crop of managers from the charlton production line

that this club producers the PL stars of the future is a given but it also tends to produce its fair share of managers and coaches. Some you can see coming a mile off such as Chris Powell when it was always being mentioned in post match threads that we need to keep him on after he stopped playing.  At the other extreme there is Lee Bowyer, nobody saw that coming. I was wondering which of the current crop would be next. The comments by LB about Pratley when he signed the one year extension last week pushed him to the top of my list but I also thought Lyle Taylor would be worth encouraging to get his coaching badges if he hasn’t already. His all round play begs to be taught to other players. Chris Solly’s awareness marks him out as another potential. Anybody else ?

Comments

• Pratley definitely, Jason Pearce as well. Not sure about Solly

I can see Jonny Williams going into coaching too. You'd imagine he'd be a very good man manager in the Powell mode
  • Solly is one that I'm curious about

Dont know how well he'd do what with the media side of things but think he'd be very good out of the limelight and in the dressing room with the players themselves

Wonder if we'd see him as more of an Assistant Manager

Him and Jackson as the dream team when Bowyer eventually goes
  • Naby Sarr will bring us champions league glory in 15 years time. 
  • I'm recommending Tony Watt for the Palarse job when Woy eventually leaves them.
  • Jackson to takeover from Bowyer when he eventually goes.
  • edited August 2019
    I do think Solly is a stronger candidate than some might think.

People suggest that he’s shy, quiet etc but I get the feeling that he just prefers to do his talking in private. He’s a smart bloke.

Very few saw Lee Bowyer going on to do what he is doing, so anything’s possible.

Jackson will also be a manager somewhere.
  • Roger Johnson will have a fucking good chance 
  • Scoham said:
    Jackson to takeover from Bowyer when he eventually goes.
    There is absolutely no evidence that Jackson has the strength of character or leadership qualities to be a successful manager.  You are forgetting that he captained us to a supine relegation to the third tier - when he should have gathered the other senior players to overrule the instructions of Fraeye and co.

Jackson openly admitted that relegation was the players' fault, not Duchatelet's.  As captain, he was culpable.  
    You learn from your mistakes, not your successes 
  • Scoham said:
    Jackson to takeover from Bowyer when he eventually goes.
    There is absolutely no evidence that Jackson has the strength of character or leadership qualities to be a successful manager.  You are forgetting that he captained us to a supine relegation to the third tier - when he should have gathered the other senior players to overrule the instructions of Fraeye and co.

Jackson openly admitted that relegation was the players' fault, not Duchatelet's.  As captain, he was culpable.  
    When you say ‘no evidence’, I’m assuming you’re not taking into account the fact that he successfully captained Charlton to a promotion/league title as a player and then promotion again as an assistant? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Pearce for sure. Maybe Lyle when he matures and Cullen who at such a young age has the perfect attitude.
  • Pratley definitely, Jason Pearce as well. Not sure about Solly

I can see Jonny Williams going into coaching too. You'd imagine he'd be a very good man manager in the Powell mode
    Who thought Bowyer would make such a great manager? Sometimes the ones that do are the ones you least expect to. 
  • cafctom said:
    I do think Solly is a stronger candidate than some might think.

People suggest that he’s shy, quiet etc but I get the feeling that he just prefers to do his talking in private. He’s a smart bloke.

Very few saw Lee Bowyer going on to do what he is doing, so anything’s possible.

Jackson will also be a manager somewhere.
    Agreed about Solly and JJ
  • But look at the managers that Bowyer has played for. Compare with the managers that our current batch of players have been coached by. I'm not sure any of them are going to be successful managers.
  • Sometimes it is about taking the opportunity when and if it comes. I think some people don't really analyse, they just get on with it day to day and some learn from experiences like sponges, good and bad. Bowyer is clearly in the latter camp, but I wouldn't have a clue from our current players who else is. Taylor strikes me as very intelligent, but that in itself is not enough. 
  • Bowyer as a player was very demonstrative and had a massive will to win, so it's not a complete surprise he became a manager, even if the route he took was unusual. After all nobody was surprised that Dennis Wise, Paul Ince or Bryan Robson went into management (all started quite well)