Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adam Matthews - (not yet signed for 20/21)

Comments

• edited August 2019
    Lapslie will play everywhere for us

Whats going to interest me over the next week is whether we keep him or Forster-Caskey in terms of loaning out!!
    I mentioned to a fellow Addick at the start of the season that I thought Lapslie could forge a long term future at right back .. 'nah' said he, 'he wanders about too much' ((:>) 

As for JFC, it seems he needs longer to regain fitness, form and confidence after a bad injury .. I'm sure we all wish him all the very best .. I can't see Lapslie being loaned out to anywhere.
  • At the risk of being shot down, I think there’s a bit of the Steve Brown in Lapslie.
  • Lapslie will play everywhere for us

Whats going to interest me over the next week is whether we keep him or Forster-Caskey in terms of loaning out!!
    I mentioned to a fellow Addick at the start of the season that I thought Lapslie could forge a long term future at right back .. 'nah' said he, 'he wanders about too much' ((:>) 
    I see Lapslie as a modern day / younger version of Pratley... I think George does too as Bowyer said after Saturday that he loves working with Darren

Is perfect for it as he does struggle to stick to one area of the pitch yet would be perfect sitting in front of the Defence protecting them

Can then win the ball and give it to someone else, although thats maybe a bit harsh on the lad as he does know how to pass the ball himself
  • 2 questions.

1) How old?

2) How tall?
    27-years old | 5ft 10 so same height as Purrington

Played 23-games for Sunderland last season

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/curious-case-adam-matthews-ex-16443579

Sounds like the sort of player who is perfect for us, another who just needs the arm of the Manager round his shoulder
    he started against us first game last season
  • so we now have Solly, Oshilaja, Matthews and potentially Lapslie at RB after his performance Saturday.

Did somebody say we lack depth? haha
    Lapslie player wing back, although admittedly didn’t get forward . I can’t imagine him playing full back in a 4 man defence.

For me, Deji is first choice 
  • wmcf123 said:
    so we now have Solly, Oshilaja, Matthews and potentially Lapslie at RB after his performance Saturday.

Lapslie player wing back, although admittedly didn’t get forward . I can’t imagine him playing full back in a 4 man defence.

Nah Deji wont be seen as a Right-Back at all if Matthews is incoming

Right-Back slot will be between him and Solly with Deji as Centre-Back cover (although his appearances this season have left me confident of the adequate cover at the back now) - Dont think Bowyer would have bothered bringing in a Right-Back if the position was between Solly and Oshilaja as the former should be back now so no point wasting wages on three players for one role
  • If we Sign Adam and he does as well as his Grandfather Stan then happy days.

The Dizzard of the Wribble.
  • wmcf123 said:
    so we now have Solly, Oshilaja, Matthews and potentially Lapslie at RB after his performance Saturday.

Nah Deji wont be seen as a Right-Back at all if Matthews is incoming

Right-Back slot will be between him and Solly with Deji as Centre-Back cover (although his appearances this season have left me confident of the adequate cover at the back now) - Dont think Bowyer would have bothered bringing in a Right-Back if the position was between Solly and Oshilaja as the former should be back now so no point wasting wages on three players for one role
    I disagree. He needed the extra defender because he doesn’t believe, quite rightly, that Pearce and Sarr can play together .  Therefore if Solly and Lockyer were unavailable , you would be in a similar position to the one we were in on Saturday - I.e cobbling together a defence that included both Pratley and Lapslie (who were both brilliant).  Deji can still be first choice right back but he’ll have to move inside if Lockyer is injured.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Lovely bit of business that (assuming we’re not facilitating his high wage demands) - although I’d rather us use the money for a new Lyle Taylor contract 
  • can someone amend the thread title, as far as I can see he hasn't actually signed yet ...
  • Typical, one snippet and the players signed.

Bowyer said he hasn't made up his mind yet!
  • edited August 2019
  • Remember Bows will be thinking, the squad isn't just for now but it's for Christmas.

Last season all the way through December and especially during the Christmas games, the already small squad were woefully under strength with injuries to key players - and it affected results, losing 3 games in that period.

Injury, suspension and loss of form are unavoidable. Bowyer won't want to be exposed like that again.

• Oggy Red said:
    Remember Bows will be thinking, the squad isn't just for now but it's for Christmas.

Last season all the way through December and especially during the Christmas games, the already small squad were woefully under strength with injuries to key players - and it affected results, losing 3 games in that period.

Injury, suspension and loss of form are unavoidable. Bowyer won't want to be exposed like that again.

The crazy situation for Cafc fans it's may be for now and not for after Christmas with all our players !
  • Oggy Red said:
    Remember Bows will be thinking, the squad isn't just for now but it's for Christmas.

The crazy situation for Cafc fans it's may be for now and not for after Christmas with all our players !
    Yeah, but right now apart from Oshi, we can select from a full squad. Chuks and Sols are again available.
    Oz, Hemed and Beyal are still getting up to speed, but we've bodies fit enough to put out a strong team.

If the squad should get depleted with injuries and suspensions, that's 4 months without being able to add to it. 
    Except for free agents, if they are fit enough, we can't sign another player until January 1st.

Even if he needs to cover for injury or ring the changes, Bows is trying to make sure he can put out a strong team for all games.
    Right the way through to January 1st.

• Title does need changing, although if Cawley says it, it's probably gonna happen. WIOTOS
  • amazing squad depth really, especially when you consider how few players we had on the 1st July 
  • Sponsored links:

• amazing squad depth really, especially when you consider how few players we had on the 1st July 
    Agree but I’m some will still be saying it’s too small.
  • edited August 2019
    Scoham said:
    amazing squad depth really, especially when you consider how few players we had on the 1st July 
    I can't see how when if you have a count up with only Page and Beram Kayal still to pass fitness tests the likes of Morgan, JFC and Page himself may struggle to get in to the squad. Even Bonne who I would always have in the 18 at home. Lapslie may because he is like a butchers dog and will chase down everything.
  • Scoham said:
    amazing squad depth really, especially when you consider how few players we had on the 1st July 
    Have you seen Oztumer?
    Only with the use of a magnifying glass. 
  • On paper this is a good move imo. 

My only concern about Mears was his age, Matthews can develop. I suspect Ryan Giggs will be sending scouts to watch us as there would be three players to watch  
  • Scoham said:
    Have you seen Oztumer?
    Only with the use of a magnifying glass. 
    Was it one of those, 'You show me yours and I'll show you mine' moments? 😁
  • Well, did we sign Adam Matthews or no?

• Ah ...... just talking to myself ....... Adam Matthews is a Free Agent.

Deadlines don't apply to free agents, of course. :smile: